1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summit memories

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 27, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

in the directoin that car is driving I believe there is a player parking, met many a rockets legends waiting there when i was a kid. Also, had old school never-would-happen-today type of stuff like them allowing my clearly uninterested mother in for free mid game when i was sitting in the nosebleeds.

Was there when a kid known as the Dream Walked in, saw him battle it out with the guy known as "air", saw the battle of the Giants as Hakeem threw down the gauntlet against Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Alonzo, Dikembe....and quietly taught them all a lesson. Saw pippen putter through this arena, Saw Barkley wobble through as well. Boo'd Stockton and Malone as they consistently and boringly reliably came through with Sloan year in and Year out. Saw the VC and Iverson fanatics come through as the culture and access changed. Saw Bean's kid hit big shot after big shot against Franchise, Yao, T-mac. Saw a guy with a calculator come through with a quiet guy with a beard and change things for good and stare down the NBA golden boy/Golden team. Saw a little miser with a brief case come through with his accountants following. Can't wait for TC to turn up to summit levels one day.

#ClutchCity

#21 DonatelloLimestone, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Plowman likes this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This thread got me digging through my old ticket stubs. Going to games was an exclusive treat...so I tried to keep the stubs to every event I went to. Found most of the games I remembered...some Rox playoff games, Aeros games and a Utah Jazz (FU Jazz) ticket with an awesome pic of Hakeem on it. Plus some of that janky attention getter stuff (timeout Randalls fruit races)...

(sorry for giant pics...too lazy to resize for your convenience)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

1st game I went to was in 1996 against Grant Hill and the Pistons.

A little too young to remember but I do recall a popcorn machine in the club section lol

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(Pretty sure I've told this simple story before, but here goes.)

When I was a little kid, I went with Dad to see a game against the Dr.-J-era Sixers, before we traded them Malone.
    I was kind of early and got to see the Sixers walk right past us -- all in their sweats, not street clothes. I was gawking at Daryl Dawkins, who was one of the largest human beings I had seen at that point. I got this little tap on the shoulder and heard a very polite, deep voice, "excuse me, please." And I turned and my idol Dr. J was needing to get past my gawking self to catch up to his teammates. I probably didn't let my mom wash that shirt for like a year. (I was a diehard Rox fan but LOVED Dr. J and that's why I'd gone to the game.)

xiki, charlieaustin, boomboom and 5 others like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't this thread up @tinman alley? I figured he would of been spamming this thread all day and night by now.

@Os Trigonum
    @J.R.

charlieaustin and J.R. like this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

Allow me to reintroduce myself
    -Thats a rapping lyric to a song by Jay-Z, who married a Houstonian. A houstonian who must remember what it was like when Dream roamed the hall.
    Wonder how many houstonians married knicks fans?
    99ers know
    @Os Trigonum
    @tinman

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m parked on Edloe so I don’t have to pay at greenway

boomboom, J.R., ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Kenny was glued to the bench for an aeon. Lakes in town, Lakes leading by a lot. Rudy sends The Jetster in and he lights it up from 3 and instead of LAL leading Kenny leads TheGoodGuys to the W.

Another time, here come Da Bulls. And Chuckles is po’d big time at Charles Oakley. And punished the hey out of that ol’ Oak Tree. In the 4th while trailing His Michaelmas drove the baseline e for a thunderous dunk. Dream said, ‘No Way, MJ’ and stuffed him clean.

Plowman likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

did i say summit? i meant screaming at lakewood church with mum and dad. joel really knows how to work the crowd. and i went to the toybox in 2019.

now if you'll excuse me, i have to do my social studies homework

don grahamleone and B-Bob like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about these guys....We attended quite a few games. Lots of memorable stuff. Nothing like watching a hockey game live. And, we were great. Had my picture taken on the ice with Cam Connor and Mark Howe. So many late nights as a kid lying in bed listening to Jerry Trupiano.

[​IMG]

boomboom, B-Bob and J.R. like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This thread is pure and full of pure fans! You love to see it!

Pat, tinman, charlieaustin and 3 others like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I need to go dig up my championship ticket from 94.

boomboom likes this.
  13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I went with my best friend to see hakeem hit a milestone against the grizzlies. Pippen Barkley and Hakeem. Pregame after school and went in like an idiot but had a blast. Walked it off going home since I lived not too far away! Great times!

14. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Man those were some great memories, the only way I could watch Rockets games on Satellite dish, back in the 80's the Big Dish I use to watch the Rockets by then on HTS Sports, and 20vision with Bill and crazy Calvin mis those day...

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank You
    Charlie Thomas !

16. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Prior to the championships - during the week Tuesday or Thursdays it was BOGO on certain tickets. We’d finish school and drive in to catch games. Then hit the parking garage for autographs. I once asked Dream’s brother for one (looked just like him) :)

all those guys were awesome, Sleepy Floyd, Dream, Fun to think about them just showering and walking right out to their cars. It was just simple and easy going.

I was at game three of the 1995 Western Conference finals vs SA the Robinson MVP year - we had just won the first two in SA and then dropped that game 107-102.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I went there when I was 9 years old on a school trip to see the hotshots soccer team.

18. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

I was at the game in the nosebleed seats when Cartwright elbowed (H)akeem in the eye and broke his face. Fun game but it sucked when Dream went down.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sounds like you need to remain bi. Coastal, that is. And let TheGoodGuys get good times rolling again with you safely beaching or subwaying.

topfive likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Me too.

We were behind the basket where it happened. Bill's "sharp elbows".