1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summit memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Plowman, May 28, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether it be Rockets games, WHA Aeros, concerts, NCAA tournament games, whatever......

Give me your best.

[​IMG]

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

@Games 3/4 of 1981 finals. We had no business with a 40-42 record going up against the mighty Celtics... Solidified my lifelong rocket love, nonetheless.

boomboom and Plowman like this.
  3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

First game I ever went to:

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Went to fan appreciation day in 1995. I was 6 and Sam Cassel wouldn't give me his autograph. While he probably just didn't see/hear me because there were a lot of people, my 6 year old self was very upset lol. As I stormed out of the Summit in anger, I declared I was now a Knicks fan. A Rockets employee overheard my tirade. He gave my dad and I tickets to a playoff game and a pennant signed by the whole 95 team.

GIGO, Xerobull, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I walked up to the entrance during a hurricane and joel osteen just stared at me with his arms crossed through a locked glass door.

Space Ghost, arkoe, Xerobull and 4 others like this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Game 5 against the Suns in 94. This was after the Suns swept us at home to put us down 0-2 and we swept them on the road to tie it at 2, so a very pivotal game. Place was electric. Game tips off and we immediately go up 9-0 and the Suns call a timeout. I looked at my Dad and said "we're going to win the championship." That was the first moment I really thought it could actually happen.

Vik, CCity Zero, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was at that show. I saw ZZ Top from a suite there. Saw so many concerts there but none more than Rush.

I also saw William Shatner do some narration to a show on whales around the time the Star Trek movie about whales came out. It was good.

across110thstreet likes this.
  9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably the most memorable show was U2 in 1985 on the Unforgettable Fire tour. But, I also saw David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Sade, Grateful Dead. All good shows except the Grateful Dead which bored me to tears at 13.

Bono, ima_drummer2k and jo mama like this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

11. CrazyJoeDavola

1990 NBA playoffs v Lakers. Got to watch the game from one of the few Summit sky boxes with my dad.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I saw too many concerts there to remember all of them, but I especially remember February 28, 1985. Went to that record store in Pasadena..........can't remember the name......to meet Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. Then went to the summit to see them open for Iron Maiden. Then drove from the Summit to Cardi's on Westheimer to see Armored Saint open for Metallica. Good times.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tilman not owning the team

14. Buck Turgidson

So many concerts and sports

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

since this is the hangout

The Police, 1982 ===> Front Row (we slept at the Astrodome for those tickets) and 1st time I tripped

setlist

1. Voices Inside My Head
    2. Message in a Bottle
    3. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    4. Spirits in the Material World
    5. Hungry for You (J'aurais toujours faim de toi)
    6. When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around
    7. The Bed's Too Big Without You
    8. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
    9. Demolition Man
    10. Shadows in the Rain
    11. Walking on the Moon
    12. Bring On the Night
    13. One World (Not Three)
    14. Invisible Sun
    15. Roxanne
    16. Don't Stand So Close to Me
    17. Can't Stand Losing You
    18. Be My Girl - Sally
    19. So Lonely

16. Buck Turgidson

Now THAT sounds like a ****ing great concert that I didn't see (if that's the "Police Live" tour, I've had that double CD for a long time)

I was 9 years old. I'll have to give my mom some **** about this, we coulda gone.

17. Surfguy

Was at that Maiden/ W.A.S.P. show as well. Wasn't a big fan of W.A.S.P. . If I recall correctly, then the lead singer did some gimmick on stage where he pretended to drink blood from a skull. That's all I remember from their performance. LOL. This may have been the same show where Bruce Dickinson gave the "the press and critics call us satanists but were just into heavy metal" speech.

Not sure if this was the same tour where Iron Maiden was to appear at Texas Tapes and Records (I think is what you're referring to). There was a contest for fans to create an Iron Maiden poster to win something. I remember friends and I working on a huge poster, going to the record store, and having to leave to go to their show because the member(s) of Iron Maiden who were supposed to appear and judge were late. I don't remember what the prize would have been. Maybe just a pic and autograph? Our poster was of Eddie rising from flames.

I also recall going to a Judas Priest show at The Summit for the "Love Bites" tour (I think). That was the night my friend (who was driving a van) and I were almost killed on the way home as we ran into a traffic jam near a freeway exit (I think around Gulfgate to exit to I-45 south...an elevated freeway exit). My friend slammed on his brakes and we were sliding at 60 mph into a still line of cars in front of us. At the very last second, he jerked the wheel to the right and we missed the pile by a few feet and kept on sliding past the line of cars to the right. That was a super scary experience. Talking about life flashing before your eyes. Yikes!

#18 Surfguy, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We saw Rush at the summit correct or was that at the colosseum?

19. Surfguy

Summit. We were lower prom almost side stage on the guitarist (left) side. That may have been the show where “Jim” got to the floor and was climbing seats to move up. Or, it may have been a different show?

KingCheetah likes this.