1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. AWIN

AWIN Member

“You can’t lose what you don’t put in the middle. But you can’t win much either.” - Warren Buffet

or maybe that was Mike McDermott :D

At this point is it really gambling though if you know you are going to get paid? Either shorts cover or the price keeps going up every FTD cycle. Buy and Hodl. This thing has been timed and comes through like a chick’s period.

#16501 AWIN, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    RudyTBag likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's the consensus on biotech companies / companies that may or may not be involved in covid-related products? Still a good idea to invest in these, or...?

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

i wouldn't make generalizations. i think each company needs to be looked at individually, and the company's ability to grow beyond covid needs to be taken into account. the extreme bear case for fulgent is that this company's windfall from covid testing is unsustainable, and it will go back to $16. the bull case is this:
    1. covid testing will go down a lot, but won't go away as quickly as some think, to reopen safely you want to keep testing. there are also opporunities overseas, FLGT has a china JV.
    2. FLGT is projecting to have $1bn cash by end of year. their cap is only $2.2bn. half the share value will be the cash pile by end of year. lots of room to fund growth.
    3. the genetic sequencing biz (which is their core biz before covid) is much smaller but growing at 115% YOY. they recently won a $30m contract from CDC which wasn't included in last qtr's numbers. if you take the enterprise value of the company, its a reasonable valuation for such a high growth comnpany.
    4. i think its a super well run company that is great at execution, beating bigger labs in testing speed/cost, hence why CDC trusts them with new contract beyond just covid testing. founder still owns 30% and doesn't sell his shares.

to get a flavor check out their latest ridiculous qtr.

https://ir.fulgentgenetics.com/news...eports-record-first-quarter-financial-results

CCity Zero and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have PFE calls expiring 9.17 that I've been holding forever. Time to cash out? Or exercise and hold? Was hoping it might be insulated from interest rate hikes.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

saitou likes this.
  6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

i wrongly expected a red day out of reflex - 2 days of green is not possible! best day trade was IMNM, up 18% on insider buying. last 2 weeks i just screen for insider buying and hit F5 every now and then lol.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How are you feeling on Blackberry?

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

don't know enough to have an educated opinion.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@RudyTBag Another one you may want to keep an eye on is CTXR. price has already gone up to $2.30 in anticipation of DMC allowing them to stop the trial for superiority soon. analyst think it can go to $5, but if committee thinks the trial needs to keep going, price will likely go back to $1.50s. people are bullish cos phase 2 had 100% efficacy rate, but of course there's risk, maybe phase 3 reveals complications not uncovered in phase 2 etc. if you are looking to buy check out the DD below first, so you know what you are getting into, and what to do in case phase 3 doesn't stop early and price tanks.

https://frugalnorwegian.com/ctxr/

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Are you up a lot? I liked pfe calls before but haven't played recently. Just curious

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They're all the same strike, up 75%. But it was like 200% after their last ER.

I thought I was too late to the PFE party, but the price actually looked pushed down when I bought March 8th ($34ish). Why did I buy? Simply to prevent myself from FOMO-ing myself in the future. I didn't want to feel like I made a mistake and overpay later if it started to run. So I locked in the long call - just in case. Did the same with DNN.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. adoo

adoo Member

[​IMG]
    last ERS was ~13 May; despite beating estimate, amid the prevailing fear of inflation, despite assurance from the Fed that it was only transitory, the stock price tanked.

now the market appears to believe the Fed's explanation

sdgr appears to have bottomed and bounced (~11 pts) off it, leading to 3 consecutive days of closing above 20dma
    • need to see it close above the 50dma, ~ above ~72.5, before making a play for closing the 82-100 gap

#16512 adoo, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    saitou likes this.
  13. AWIN

AWIN Member

What got into PLTR today??? Fist bump to the bros still hodling!

Sajan likes this.
  14. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

big contract @ 111M from US GOVT.
    wish i loaded up more when it was 18-20 2 weeks ago.

Fantasma Negro, CCity Zero and AWIN like this.
  16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Bought some KWEB too....Chinese tech just seems so cheap right. Hopefully it’s not a value trap.

17. AWIN

AWIN Member

Saw that, but it's supposed to tank when they sign new contracts though lol

CCity Zero, Sajan and saitou like this.
  18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

chinese economy doing well. all that stimulus money... goes to stuff made in china.

CCity Zero and whag00 like this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

This is true..but those are usually when they get those 10...20 mil ones.
    Plus they released the news at a good time.

May 25, 2021 12:45 PM ET (BZ Newswire) -- Long Ideas
    The stock of Palantir Technologies Inc. may be about to move higher.
    Over the past week, resistance at the $21.25 level has kept a top on the share price. But the bulls keep chipping away and the resistance seems to be diminishing.
    If the bulls absorb all of the shares at this level, it will set the stage for a rally as new buyers enter the market. These new buyers will have to pay higher prices if they want to acquire shares. This could force Palantir's stock into a new uptrend.

Ziggy, CCity Zero and AWIN like this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

hope we don't get another pre long weekend sell off. bleh.

Ziggy and CCity Zero like this.