1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MTV Classic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ferrari77, May 26, 2021.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Anyone else watch this- whether on YTTV, DirecTV, etc (I'm pretty sure it's not on Comcast/Xfinity)

Just music videos all day, divided into 90s nation, Metal Mayhem, I want my 80s, Rock Block, TRL, Yo! Hip Hop mix, etc.
    Pretty decent when one is tired of the crap on other channels and just wants to watch some old music videos.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/mtv-classic-debuts-8-01-16.276622/#post-10636857

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm completely frustrated with their attempt at 120 Minutes. I watched and recorded this every week as a kid and loved the variety of music. All the current episodes are like a pop station - playing the same songs over and over..and every one of them are pretty much mainstream songs. You can count on a NIN song (HLAH or Closer), REM song (post 1986 radio-hits only) and 1 or 2 Radiohead songs in every episode - Over and over again. If it wasn't on the radio, it doesn't get airplay on the current 120 Minutes -- It loses the entire point of alternative music.

boomboom, ferrari77, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

That sucks. I got turned on to a lot of cool bands on that show back in the day (Primus and Smashing Pumpkins are the 2 I remember most, I was hooked when I saw their first videos). Same with Yo MTV Raps.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I didn't even know that I even had MTV ore MTV Classic until today.

Is Playboy TV still a thing too?

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You actually might see them on there occasionally.

What you won't see is any pre-1994 Ministry, Husker Du, Firehose, early Cure or DM, OMD, Throwing Muses, Sugarcubes, PIL, Descendants, pre-1992 Soul Asylum, The Darling Buds, Hoodoo Gurus, The Primitives (other than Crash), Siouxsie, Lloyd Cole, The Pogues, The La's, Blue Aeroplanes, Pre-1991 RHCP etc.

But if it was on pop stations, they'll play it.

6. Buck Turgidson

Those are all bands I remember and listened to. Like I said, that sucks. Loved the obscure stuff I might have never heard elsewhere; I was lucky that I had some older friends and friends with older siblings that were a good source of cool stuff also.

Was talking specifically about these 2 vids, '89 or 90 iirc, first videos they made and first time I'd ever heard them:

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Was a golden time of rock creativity.

DCkid, Buck Turgidson and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i didnt have mtv growing up, but a friend would tape all the 120 minutes - they were great! i dont know why they dont just show old episodes. it would be like classic rock for millennials - i think they would eat it up. a lot of current "alternative" bands are heavily influenced by the early 90's stuff they showed on 120 minutes so maybe they would enjoy them.

i discovered a lot of bands from there - gish-era pumpkins for sure. "i am one" video that buck posted was my intro to them. some cool british bands too - swervedriver and curve come to mind. these two videos hooked me on those bands - saw both multiple times and i still listen to both of them. that singer from curve is gorgeous too.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Small bit of trivia... I was once on MTV.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I remember watching the show when the rage, bulls on parade video debuted. I recorded it on VHS while my jaw dropped.

DCkid and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

she was cute. this singer was as well. ladykillers was a legit good song as well as a few others on the album

[​IMG]

and do NOTTTTTTT forget about Mazzy Star. so amazingly beautiful

[​IMG]

yes i do like brunettes

GRENDEL, studogg, DFWRocket and 3 others like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

my kiddo loves these 2 songs

Buck Turgidson and DCkid like this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Story?

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I was excited when I first discovered MTV classic, but quickly realized they just played the same videos over and over. Oh well.

Anyway, I discovered a lot of new music watching 120 minutes past my bedtime on Sunday nights. Seeing the video for "Stereo" was pretty much the single biggest contributor to me becoming an insufferable music nerd. So thanks a lot for that 120 Minutes!

ferrari77 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't it, though? So cool to be there for the 80's (missed it early, but it didn't go away) through the 90's.

So much cool **** came out of those times.

16. Buck Turgidson

The first time I saw Tool's "Sober" video?

DCkid likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

That's awesome!

Have they seen Mr. Krinkle? Can they handle it? Tell them to pick out and tell you how many random things they see in the background or foreground.

DCkid likes this.
  18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think I realized how much Garbage sounded like a cleaned-up version of Curve. Even the singer sounds very similar to Shirley Manson.

and while we're on the subject of rad 90s rocker girls...

Colt45, GRENDEL and jo mama like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I don't remember Helium, but you just reminded me again of Liz Phair/the Go-Gos/Veruca Salt/the Deals/etc and...that's not a bad idea for a thread

"Hot Rockstars You Would Bang"

#19 Buck Turgidson, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No mention of Kittie? I guess I'm not old enough.