1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

We are one Wizards 1st pick better than then. The same package las year for Russ getting a Wizards 1st would have been ok

lakersuck2 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Yea I generally feel the same, but I'd still listen to offers if we don't keep top 4.

My reasoning for flexibility isn't financial like Tilman, who gave up picks to save money for non-basketball reasons. The Clippers package posed by the Clutch tweet would offer us a lot of options going forward. We could still be bad while having a better chance to be predatory towards disgruntled stars/ star FAs.

fckbandwagons and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I don't think that's a good move for the Rockets. Were not winning a championship with that.

I'd rather have as many roster spots available. Hopefully Rafael Stones goes crazy leaves no stone unturned and finds some gems out there.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's been my whole point of riding out Wall's contract rather than buying him and eating the cap hit.

Without contracts to move for salary matching you can't be predatory ....

Taking back the $35m minimum is far better than most other options that have been discussed here. (buying him out and eating the cap hit or trading him to NYK cap space for no return).

People forget that Tracy McGrady's corpse .... err $22m expiring contract became part of what eventually landed Harden.

McGrady--->KMart--->Harden.

5. kiwirocketsfan

It's the 1 year less on the deals that's important not the wins. They'd be 'stuck' with Kennard, but he might be moveable while Wall isn't really.

joshuaao likes this.
  6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If we got Kennard, this board would think he's white Steph Curry within a month.

REEKO_HTOWN and BallaDoc like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Right, but being predatory sooner than later (1 offseason sooner with the Clippers package) gives you more bites at the apple. I'm not sure what I'd give up to get that type of flexibility, but I'd listen.

8. HROZ

HROZ Member

Imagine you have 2 choices
    Wall $91 million to play for us & have no cap space to sign anyone else in 22/23 season.
    Pay $70 million to not play for us & have cap space to find someone else.

The expiring idea can't be a serious idea.
    Wall is a $47 million expiring.
    There are next to no players with matching salaries(and those that are, are superstars that aren't on the table for a team that's not contending). We would have to attach draft picks to get rid of Wall in a season we are probably going to suck and we probably only get a Siakham level talent .(only if we get Doncic like player is it even reasonable to say we should go all in and throw our draft picks away for an upgrade in talent.). (Say we get Cade and he is otherworldly). But you're being very optimistic at this stage. Pretty much everything has to go right.

But as a rule i think it's preferable to have salary cap space in their first year off the rookie contract.
    That way you can hold them for a low price get a player for X amount and then sign Cade to the max and go over the cap.
    Its better in this regard when they are a lower draft pick.
    For context look at what the Spurs did when Kawhi came off his rookie contract.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If only Clips were this desperate.

jch1911, Boston84, sirjesse and 2 others like this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Isn't Kawhi a free agent? If he bolts to Miami, I don't see how Wall makes sense at all. Even Kawhi stays in LA, there are better third star options than Wall. Hopefully they are this stupid.

Fantasma Negro and D-rock like this.
  11. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

what assets do they have to get a third star? They won’t be able to open cap space and they don’t have picks or young assets besides Mann

Williamson likes this.
  12. HROZ

HROZ Member

Ah like hoping Jessica Alba makes some bad decisions & ends up in bed with me.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

They need a Herro, and Wall could be their man. Stone send them all the clips you can from that Celtics series when he was still in DC.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I am not close to their situation with what assets they have, I know a lot of picks went to OKC for George, but seeing Aaron Gordon leave for some crumbs makes me think a guy with more impact could be had if its a location he wants to be in, doesn't need to be a max player. This is a league where bad deals are made to cater to the players, we saw it for the Rockets and teams are doing this more often. Contending teams are often gifted players who complain and want out.

D-rock likes this.
  16. kiwirocketsfan

White dudes are overvalued.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you actually serious? You know we wouldn't be trading for any of those guys right? This would not be a move to help us win. This is a move to get John Wall's albatross contract off our books and give us further flexibility to bring in players. Every player we would receive would be immediately traded again or released, with the exception of Luke Kennard. He would just have to be traded or kept because of the length of his deal. Roster spots would not be an issue. The worst case is we would get stuck with one guy filling the same roster spot Wall filled except for 12 million dollars rather than 50 million.

Plowman likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol John Wall and "on court leadership" in the same tweet.

Boston84, lakersuck2, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He led us to the worst record in the league. True leader.

D-rock likes this.