1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'm strongly opposed to the rockets using the stretch provision on Wall. Just take the hit in the next 2 years so we can compete in the years after.

Mostly I think we take the bulk of the $X million Wall leaves in the 22/23 season. The upcoming season is lost imo. And I think we pay out as much as we can on Walls contract this year. And try create all the cap room in the next year.

https://theathletic.com/2573470/202...in-houston/?amp#click=https://t.co/107yAn3HrL

Hollinger had an article on this. Though he seems to push for taking money off this year too.

Here's Hollingers take on free agency.

The lottery actually is a pretty big factor in their free agency. If they don’t land in the top four, they will end up with Portland or Miami’s pick in the late teens thanks to the Chris Paul-Russell Westbrook trade, and that’s a difference of several million dollars in cap hold. Combined with a Wall buyout and declining Avery Bradley’s team option, that could give the Rockets enough cap room to chase some legitimately interesting young talent in free agency (John Collins, say, or Lonzo Ball). Chances are the other team matches since all these guys are restricted free agents, but the Rockets should shoot their shot.

If that fails, or if they land a top-four pick and don’t have the cap room, they should be targeting reclamation projects and inexpensive young free agents, much in the way that Brooklyn went after Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddie at the start of the Nets’ rebuild. You’ve already seen the first example of that strategy in action, actually, with the Porter trade.

However, if the Collins/Ball fantasy doesn’t work out, the other thing they should totally do is drop an offer sheet on the Lakers’ Talen Horton-Tucker. He’s the youngest free agent available (just 20 years old) and something like a four-year, $45 million offer sheet would be well within Houston’s projected cap space even if they win the lottery. Again, maybe the Lakers match and Houston just loses three days of free agency, but the Rockets should take swings like this at talent.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston_rockets/
    (Note 99.58 includes Bradley who has a team option that can be Declined)
    Also I'm okay with looking for new players next season. I'm not keen on us bringing back Olynk Brown etc. Nwaba I have a soft spot for but I think we have enough guards as is.

Here's a better explainer on how to make cap space

They could look to open up real space. There are really easy ways to do that if they want to. If the Rockets lose their pick, the team will have a lot of space already, somewhere in the ballpark of $20 million. They could actually get even more than that, though, and one way to do so would be to offload Augustin’s money via the stretch provision. He has $7.33 million guaranteed remaining, but because he has a very small partial guarantee in 2022-23, the team could stretch that $7.33 million over the next five years at a cap cost of just $1.46 million per season year. That would open up almost $6 million and get them to around $26 million in cap space. Throwing House into a deal — his one year at around $3.8 million might actually be attractive to someone as a rotational wing — while taking back no salary in return could get them close to $30 million in space. Heck, do those two things even while getting the No. 1 overall pick, and they’re near $20 million in space, which is enough to make a splash.

https://theathletic.com/2609397/202...nt-priorities-more?source=user-shared-article

And that's without Wall giving back any money.

#101 HROZ, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    ilias likes this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'd just give him his 40M this year upfront and let him spend the rest of the year in Cabo or wherever he wants. LaMarcus Aldridge did it with the Spurs before the buyout. Give him a PS5 as a sweetener so he doesn't get too bored at home.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

To do that you'd still need to renounce all their free agents and their exceptions. I don't think they will do that.

I'd prefer they didn't tie up big long term money on anyone until the get a star player. Paying big bucks for Collins and Ball is a recipe for mediocrity. And they will have to overpay to get anyone to come here.

4. HROZ

HROZ Member

My preference is this offseason
    We buyout Wall(with him leaving money on the table). With the bulk of the savings coming in the 22/23 season.
    This year we take on expirings that teams don't want for draft capital. (if any teams want our free agents, then do a sign & trade)
    Use the Harden/Rivers/Kurucs trade exception to also do this imo.
    Trade Bradley & House for draft capital & expirings.

We go into next season with
    PorterJr Gordon Wood Augustin Tate MartinJr Thomas (and 3 first round draft picks )

And 5 spots for expiring contracts.
    Id trade Gordon for an expiring too if available.
    Then hopefully go into 22 offseason with capspace & More draft assets.

5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Stone is an idiot.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In the post above you state you are against using the stretch provision on Wall.

In this post you still want to buy him out.

He's owed $91m , even if he leaves $20m on the table that's an instant $71m cap hit that would put the team deep in the tax and over the apron costing them the NT-MLE as well as S&T options and the Harden TPE .... without the use of the stretch provision you cannot buy out Wall , and you can't even use the stretch provision without him leaving at least $16m on the table ..... which he has NO incentive to do.

Buying out Wall this year is an impossibility.

7. HROZ

HROZ Member

The $71 million will be over 2 years.
    It's not instant.
    Look at Blake Griffin buyout for context. Detroit did not use the stretch provision.

If they split it evenly (presuming Wall leaves $20)
    It would be $35.5 in 21/22 & $35.5 in 22/23.
    Atm he's owed $44 in 21/22 & $47 in 22/23
    I prefer $44 in 21/22 & $27 in 22/23

8. HROZ

HROZ Member

3 Eric's Contract is awful too atm.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Fine , it's technically "possible" assuming its structured that way.

Now tell me why you would pay him to go away and throw away the ASSET that is his expiring contract and put $27m of dead money on the 22-23 cap when you SHOULD expect to be a playoff team.

In 22/23 that contract is an expiring one that you can move for a player upgrade.

Also going into 23/24 you will be further from the tax line but still have no way to spend that "saved cap space" its "ineffective."

Your idea handicaps the team in several ways .... but it saves Ferntits a few millions.

This team sucks right now .... there's no reason to kick the can down the road , eat it now so you have more assets to be a good team later.

Just pay John Wall to stay home and play Xbox.

bj3175, luckyman76 and ilias like this.
  10. thekad

thekad Member

Clippers implosion offering an interesting opportunity to dump Wall.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clippers say no.

luckyman76, Caesar and wolstein like this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Well if they lose in the 1st round they're gonna do something absolutely crazy. It'll probably be trading Paul George but a trade for John Wall is certainly possible if they have no better options. I'd especially like the trade if we can move Kennard to a 3rd team.

What's funny though is that a similar package was floating around last summer to get Russ to the Clippers and everyone here hated it but then we'd all j*zz ourselves to get it for Wall.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But I would be like:

[​IMG]

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The League says no .... The Clippers are $28.2m over the cap. Salaries have to be within 125%+ $100k.

The Clippers would have to send out a minimum of $35.3m to make the numbers work.

mikenm268, luckyman76 and jiggyfly like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Kawhi isn't returning.... so problem solved!

16. dmoneybangbang

Maybe. Clippers also needs some FRP, which we are now flush with.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would consider moving one of the late firsts from this year IF... and only IF we land a top 4 pick.

If Kawhi signals he might leave then who knows what the Clippers will do, and moving around contracts for picks would be another thing they need to consider doing even if it's marginally decent firsts.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

$14,320,987 Beverley
    $8,250,000 Rondo
    $12,727,273 Kennard
    $1,782,621 Mann
    $37,080,881

luckyman76 and Corrosion like this.
  19. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

7,5 +14,3 + 1,9 + 12,7 = 36,4

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Would rather trade him into NYK cap space for a bag of chips or draft considerations that never convey. As long as the Rockets don’t attach draft capital in any Wall deal then I’m ok with it.

luckyman76 likes this.