1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Dodgers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 25, 2021.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well my expectations for the TOO guys are slightly higher than the BOO guys haha

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Seriously need to think about trading Zack Greinke and Carlos Correa.

Carlos Correa would hurt the morale of the team. But Correa is ready to leave anyway.

Just add young pieces to the team.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's May 26 and we're a game out of first place...same team that went to game 7 of the ALCS last season. Maybe we hit the brakes a little before trading these guys away.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Agreed. Baseball is a game of streaks.

We will get Valdez and Odorizzi back soon. That should help strengthen our pitching. Odorizzi hasn't shown much so far, but if he's anywhere near 80% of what he's capable of, then we are in good shape.

everyday eddie and awc713 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think trading those guys is a very bad idea because they are helping the Astros win games. That said, I would not use the same team as last year rational as a justification as a 162-game season is a very different animal than a 60-game season with expanded playoffs. If the goal is to win the World Series, there are likely things that will likely need fixing that didn't matter last year. It just isn't Correa and Greinke.

Nick likes this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

And, again, things look VERY different if Valdez and Odirizzi come back strong and some combination of Valdez, Javier and Urquidy go to the bullpen. If Baez can do anything, that would help too.

Things could look very, very different in a month. These next few weeks are going to be brutal between player shortages and incredibly strong competition. Then things will turn and turn quickly.

7. Radricky

Radricky Member

Any news on Baez?

8. Screaming Fist

Who?

9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Way, WAY too many punk a** Dodgers fans at the game last night.

awc713 likes this.
  10. Screaming Fist

I don't remember them having that same following a few years ago when the Dodgers came to town. Maybe all the front running former Rangers fans living in the Houston area have switched over to the Dodgers.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the other pitchers are back/healthy and performing true to their track record... I think this team is much better built for the post-season vs. last year's team. Javier/Garcia as viable bridge options with a healthy Pressly is a huge bullpen upgrade. Having Alvarez (presuming his head is out of his ass by then) and in-shape Yuli in the lineup is a huge upgrade. Altuve/Correa got very hot at the right time last year, and Springer still was a threat, but overall the lineup would still put a ton of pressure on any opposing team's pitching staff over a 5 or 7 game series.

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Hearing rumblings about Kent's elbow possibly needing TJ. I swear if that turns out to be the case....

13. Buck Turgidson

Cali transplants plus bandwagoners.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My biggest concerns are keeping guys healthy/rested so the Astros make the postseason, and that the health/rest turns into a good postseason. I am very worried Javier will take Abreu's role as Dusty security blanket. Sure, Javier will perform better, but not sure his arm won’t become jello by the playoffs.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Given Javier’s occasional command issues, and difficulty throwing first pitch strikes, not sure he’s an “ideal” candidate.... but yes, I agree Dusty is merely going to replace one overused arm with another potential overused arm. Urquiddy may be an even better candidate, but needs to get healthy.

Dierker had Elarton warming up every game in 1998-99. Pretty sure he’s still calling his house having him warm up.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Just when I thought we ridded ourselves of the cubs fans. Here comes the fraudgers "fans"....

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wouldn’t be surprising given they had absolutely no “routine” for him after he was called up. Seemed like they’d try to keep him as a starter, but that didn’t happen (but Ivey did). Then it seemed like he’d be an ideal long man with rest in between appearances, but that didn’t happen. Then he was being put in blowout games “to get work” for 1 inning at a time, which seemed like it was a waste of his stretched out arm and abilities. Then they started having him warm up multiple games, without an appearance....

The arm can only take so much. Sure, some argue that it would happen at some point regardless, but routines/rest also matter.

htwnbandit and Screaming Fist like this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

Got some serious overreactions on this board. Stros are definitely in a funk but Jesus Christ some of y’all need to chill. A’s have lost 3 straight as well and Kershaw pitched a gem. Tip the cap and move on. Our bullpen has issues but reinforcements are coming, literally our SP1 and SP3 will be in town by next week and will help solidify our arms. A 4 game skid really pushes some of y’all to edge. It’s a long season, there will be ups and downs!

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Man, I really hope not. I have never seen a guy more pissed off about anything than he was over his MLB suspension. The dude has a boulder sized chip on his shoulder and was really out to prove something this year.

htwnbandit likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

For whatever reason the Astros didn't trust Emanuel. If he is gone for an extended period of time and will be placed on the 60 day IL at least it will open up a 40 man roster spot. A couple pitchers have been dealing in the minors like Garza, Conine, and Bermudez. They might be able to help the disaster in the bullpen.

Astros are so limited right now because of a 40 man roster crunch. Click needs to trade some guys that are on the 40 man for lower level prospects that don't have to be on the 40 man roster. I also don't see the point of keeping Robel Garcia. He stinks.