1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Space tourism is here – Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin plans to send civilians to space

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 7, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Space tourism is here – 20 years after the first stellar tourist, Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin plans to send civilians to space":

https://theconversation.com/space-t...rigin-plans-to-send-civilians-to-space-160510

excerpt:

For most people, getting to the stars is nothing more than a dream. But on May 5, 2021, the 60th anniversary of the first suborbital flight, that dream became a little bit more achievable.

The space company Blue Origin announced that it would start selling tickets for suborbital flights to the edge of space. The first flight is scheduled for July 20, and Jeff Bezos’ company is auctioning off one single ticket to the highest bidder.

But whoever places the winning bid won’t be the first tourist in space.

On April 28, 2001, Dennis Tito, a wealthy businessman, paid US$20 million for a seat on a Russian Soyuz spacecraft to be the first tourist to visit the International Space Station. Only seven civilians have followed suit in the 20 years since, but that number is poised to double in the next 12 months alone.

NASA has long been hesitant to play host to space tourists, so Russia – looking for sources of money post-Cold War in the 1990s and 2000s – has been the only option available to those looking for this kind of extreme adventure. However, it seems the rise of private space companies is going to make it easier for regular people to experience space.

From my perspective as a space policy analyst, recent announcements from companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX are the opening of an era in which more people can experience space. Hoping to build a future for humanity in space, these companies are seeking to use space tourism as a way to demonstrate both the safety and reliability of space travel to the general public.
    more at the link

tinman likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously the Non Contributing Clutchfans won’t pay for this or but somehow have access to a prime account to watch the Boyz and Tom Clancy movies

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

China is on its way to bombing us as I’m typing this

i’m sorry I thought I read terrorism and not tourism

lol

Nook likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for it.

The more private industry can get involved in space and the more it can be monetized the faster it will be to getting things like moon bases and the rest of the Solar System settled.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Rockets fans love Rockets

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

People starving and/or homeless and all the problems we have and we prioritize joy rides into space?

If this also advances our study of space and the solar system, fine, wonderful. It better. Otherwise it makes Caitlin Jenner's "let them move to Sedona" look like a Bernie Sanders comment.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The same complaints greeted the early space race through the 1960's and even at the first Moon landing.

I hear you loud and clear, but I don't see how someone buying a 2nd home, for example, is more "worthy" than spending that money on a space joy ride, if you see what I mean. At least the space joy ride isn't taking up housing units, I guess. With income inequality, anything the super-wealthy don't spend on philanthropy can look kinda whack. (This the main way I console myself for not achieving wealth. LOL.)

Ottomaton likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Once all the billionaires get blasted with gamma rays, the plebs will rise from the sewers and rule the Earth!

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

Then Elon and Jeff would be Green and Red Hulk and rule the galaxy
    @Xerobull

#9 tinman, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d go to space if I could.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't love the 2020-2021 Rockets..

Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

But you love starship and blue origin

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FIFY

Ubiquitin, rocketsjudoka and tinman like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I hate Starship.. We Built this City is awful

Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

10B for Bailout

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., introduced a last-minute amendment Monday to eliminate the $10 billion.
    “It does not make a lot of sense to me that we would provide billions of dollars to a company owned by the wealthiest guy in America,”

Ziggy likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Bezos Launching Into Space Will Probably Make Your Life Better Too

https://reason.com/2021/07/20/bezos-launching-into-space-will-probably-make-your-life-better-too/

excerpt

Contra popular narratives, the new private space tourism industry is not costing lives here on earth, nor will it be stuck in its billionaire phase for long; the technologies developed by companies like Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin, and Elon Musk's SpaceX will help us all, and in time they may even enable people who are not uber-rich to go to space.

In the 1950s, plane tickets were terribly expensive. A flight from New York to London that would today clock in at about seven hours could take up to 15 hours. Though you didn't have to bother with the Transportation Security Administration's ritual harassment and could get your meal served on china, planes were less safe than they are now—and they were much more likely to be hobbled by delays or cancelations, since weather had a stronger effect on the ability to fly.

Over the decades, flying on airplanes got cheaper, faster, and safer. In the '70s, only a quarter of Americans were flying at least once per year. Now that number has doubled, with almost nine in 10 Americans having taken a commercial flight at least once in their lifetime.

Private spaceflight, which is currently accessible only to those who can fork over a cool $28 million or who were born a billionaire's baby brother, may someday be a feasible vacation option for people who don't have such wealth. But even if it doesn't pan out that way, the technologies created by billionaires' space fantasies will propel many of us, rich and poor alike, to better standards of living in ways we haven't yet fully realized.
    more at the link

DFWRocket and tinman like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member