1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Cybertruck - New Tesla Pickup Unveiling

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Huh, okay. Where do you see that advertising? I guess never watching TV and only seeing web ads, I've seen zero from Tesla, or the algorithms have decided I'm not in a Tesla target audience. (And that's fair enough at those prices.)

NoCal Tesla owners usually present their prize cars as one of two things: a luxury enviro car or a luxury tech bro car. (shrug). I know some of both camps, and have no judgment.

FrontRunner and jiggyfly like this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tesla doesn’t advertise so that’s probably why you haven’t seen it. But they sell due to their performance and tech. I’m sure hippies buy them too especially the early adopters, but that is not what has driven them to mainstream.

For instance the namesake of this thread, there’s nothing that screams environmental about the Cybertruck.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I might get one of these as my next car. If I can stomach the MSRP. Something just feels wrong spending that much on a vehicle. If this thing lasts 500k, then okay.

Edit:the new f150. Or whichever is cheaper bad has better reviews.

#263 Two Sandwiches, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Andre0087 likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah Tesla doesn’t advertise but I’ve always associated them with performance.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Ford F150 is the number one selling vehicle in the US. The new electric Lightning will be priced LESS than their current hybrid models and is produced in the crew cab. I think Ford is going to sell a TON of these.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think I was just way off base, looking through my distorted lens of living in SF.

BigM likes this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Are there Ford superstations available? Need to see map locations.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Based on how poorly towing hurts MPG, the range of an EV towing is going to be worthless. Ecoboost trucks that can crest 20mpg EPA rating drop to single digits towing. Add in how hard it will be to charge while hooked up to a trailer, I don't think it is good for that application.

I do think the public will prefer this over the cybertruck.

FrontRunner likes this.
  10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I know, right? It seems the only benefits EVs have -- if you believe the little advertising dedicated to mentioning them -- is range and, in some cases, a tax incentive.

I would be quite happy with your little BMW. It seems like the perfect city vehicle and perfect first EV for these times (you bought it at just the right time, too). And you'll never have to worry about your catalytic converter being stolen while you sleep!

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've been planning on buying a Tesla for years, just waiting for my son to turn 16 in 2023.

Instead I just reserved one of these F-150s (I currently have a 2001 F-150, but it doesn't have 4-wheel drive).

I'm pretty blown away by the Cybertruck features (though I'm not convinced they'll all actually make it to market), but damn it is so ridiculously ugly.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is exactly why this e-150 is going to sell like hotcakes. People who are interested in EVs but love that classic look and model. Ford playing hardball now.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I will probably buy an f150. Checks all the boxes for me assuming I can charge it at most places.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You should check out some drag strip videos for Teslas on YouTube. Some modified ones are beating supercars 1/8 and 1/4 mile. Of course, beyond that, other cars can start reeling them in because of horsepower, but it's kind of funny to watch a mundane-looking Tesla beat Hellcats at the track and cash days events. lol. Check out Tesla Racing Channel's YouTube channel if you want to watch some races with his heavily-modified P100D (and I do mean heavily). He destroys everything from supercars to street racers with nitro/twin turbo setups.

#275 Dr of Dunk, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    B-Bob likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Same reason I got a Civic hybrid instead of the Prius. I wanted a normal looking car.

Xerobull and dmoneybangbang like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Deckard in me wants this so bad.

KingCheetah, Xerobull and jiggyfly like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's very telling the Teslarati don't have much to crap on this truck about.

I'm sure somebody has a lot to say.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think Telsa bros and Truck guys meet very much in the venn diagram.

I like Trucks and I like Tesla so I'm not going to talk **** about the best truck maker vs the best electric car maker.

jiggyfly likes this.