1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toaster Ovens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 4, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So, @Surfguy ... what do you think of the Breville? :D

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I still think it’s the best damn toaster oven I’ve ever used. My model doesn’t have the air fryer function so I’m not sure if that would be worth it or not. The space inside this thing is considerable imo. The baking pan they give you is square versus a rectangle. The only concern I have is how long this oven will last. I could see this control panel crapping out one day.

Buck Turgidson and Dr of Dunk like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We have had ours for at least 6 or 7 years now... still going strong, still used every day. The square pan is a bit unusual but at least ours came with a broiler insert.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So, I just joined the Breville toaster oven club last week when I saw the Breville Smart Oven Air on sale at Bed Bath & Beyond. Regular price was $399.95. It was on sale for $279.99. Unfortunately, the usual BB&B 20% off coupon couldn't be used online, but some people apparently were successful getting another 20% by showing up with the coupon at the store and they took 20% off or calling them on the phone to take 20% off. I wasn't about to risk COVID for 20% off, so I just stuck with the crazy good $279.99 price. Now I just have to open the box. lol.

5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Toaster ovens were the **** when I had an apartment and a mini garage apartment. Now I just use the regular oven for that. Less things to take up counter-top space.

6. Surfguy

How is that toaster oven treating you? Mine is still going strong and I use it almost every day.

In fact, I have become a master at pizza making during this pandemic and cooking them in this oven on the Pizza "fresh" setting. I make my own pizza dough using my bread maker on the "dough" setting. I like doing the Hawaiian Pizza with the BBQ sauce and cheddar. And, the sausage/bell pepper/onion/jalapeno/basil/Italian spices using a jar of store bought mushroom spaghetti sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.

I have also done biscuits, bread, casseroles, cookies, cakes, and ribs...among other things. I can't use this oven enough.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8 year old toaster had to get trashed because el was tired of crumbs and space efficiency.

got a 7 in 1 instapot vortex that replaces 3 counter appliances

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuisinart brother
    @Ziggy

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Like it. I've used it to reheat, toast, and broil pretty much. I'll be using it to bake some bread or something soon and want to try making some pizza for the first time. The only thing I don't like is having to hand-wash everything because they suggest not using the dishwasher. :D

10. Surfguy

It’s barely been a year and the convection fan on my Breville has broken. It tries to spin but can’t. And, it makes a noise instead. So, f@ck!

The good thing is you can turn convection off and just bake regularly.

I assume I’m still under warranty but seems like a pain in the ass to get it fixed. I’ll look into it.

Im tired of sh$t breaking.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Spray it with compressed air through the exposed slots on the inside, to see if you can get it spinning. It could be that simple. I’ve read they just slightly jams sometimes.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. Most of this crap is a... crapshoot. The convection fan goes out on them frequently from what I read while researching this (and... I still bought one on sale). On the air fryer model I have the warranty is 2 years, I think, but some models have a 1 year warranty. I think the fan is around $100-$150 to repair out of warranty if you ship it back to them (I think I remember the price including shipping the oven back).

If mine dies close to the 2-year warranty, I'll just probably buy a cheaper one next time. I ain't into disposable toaster ovens, but a lot of these newer ovens seem to croak within 1-2 years.

13. Surfguy

Just tried it. It didn't work. The fan spins freely. It just isn't being moved. I assume it's the fan motor making the humming noise.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

If you put the dish in the toaster oven, and then put the toaster oven into an oven, you will have the experience you've been looking for all your life. Bake at 450.

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Our $16 Wal Mart "Rival" brand is still going strong 4+ years in.