1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Tebow going to score a touchdown on the Texans?
    @J.R.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes, then he’ll go hold hands with Jack.

#1422 J.R., May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Rockets34Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. My main concern with the pick is that we likely won't have the answers to those question marks come next April. So assuming we have a very high pick next draft, does Caserio pass on a top tier QB because of Mills?

raining threes likes this.
  4. SuraGotMadHops

Faster and stronger than DeShaun? I like the optimism but is this based on bench presses and 40 yd dash times at the combine? All I know is I saw Deshaun sprint 50 yds into the end zone in his first start against the Bengals, and I also saw him drag an army of Bills defenders into the end zone during the playoffs.

Let's see the kid play some pro ball before saying things like this.

Htown Legend and Mark like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

From testing numbers, yes he is faster. Deshaun is actually not a fast straight line runner, he’s elusive and got good speed for a QB.
    Yes Mills has to show it in the pros, but pure testing numbers, he’s bigger, faster and they probably have similar arm strengths

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, it would be awesome if we could land Julio.....but giving up draft picks again after the 2021 Draft hell we just went through, nah.

Plus, he would put us in salary cap hell.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I believe that will depend on how highly the QBs are rated compared to other players. If no QBs are close to some of the defenders, he seems like the kind of GM that will go after talent first. This next QB group doesn't look spectacular, but that doesn't mean the next Joe Burrow won't emerge next season.

Ideal situation someone else described is that Mills sits and learns for most of the season, but then gets 4-5 games as a starter to show what he's got. I'm not sure that's a great sample size to judge, but its better than nothing. What I really hope is that he wins #2 and Pep designs some packages for him to run that give him a chance to be part of the game plan and an opportunity to get a sense of game speed/defense complexity.

#1429 Shark44, May 21, 2021
    Rudyc281, gucci888 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Um yall need to pump the brakes. Pro day timing is hand timed. Generally hand times are about .1 faster than laser times at combine. So in a straight line he's probably about the same speed as Deshaun or slightly slower, but he doesn't have the elusiveness. He's definitely mobile enough for the NFL though.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Deshaun is much more elusive. Anyone that is fast knows there's a big difference between pure straight line speed and being able to cut and be creative while running near your top speed. Deshaun can get much more out of his speed than a similar speed player because he's confident in his cutting abilty and he's creative in making people miss without losing too much of his speed.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m aware of testing discrepancies, it’s literally a part of my profession.
    They are probably quite similar in terms of athleticism, 3 cone and shuttle times were very similar.
    Watson probably has a little more wiggle and Mills probably has a little more power.

Like you said, more than enough athleticism for the current league, and both are probably prototypes for current NFL QBs.
    It’s just a few people that want to **** on Mills athleticism for some reason, seems suspect.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1433 J.R., May 21, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If I had to pick one thing that jumps out based on video of different games is his footwork. This may seem like not a big thing, but think of QBs that have standout footwork...name that comes to mind is Drew Brees ...not saying he will be that level but I am saying this aspect allows him to be fluid, smooth and set faster in the pocket than others without this trait... I really hope we found a diamond in the rough but he has to get reps and play

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

32. Houston (4-12)
    Could this change if Deshaun Watson plays, say, eight games for the Texans? Slightly. But Houston won four games with Watson last year, and the team is significantly worse than a year ago. The franchise has the feel of an expansion team, with Tyrod Taylor scrambling for his life behind a shaky line while keeping the seat warm for Davis Mills, who may or may not be the quarterback of the future, handing to 30-year-old Mark Ingram, throwing to 31-year-old Randall Cobb . .. and somehow trying to score occasionally in the thirties. Because that’s what it’s going to take to win this year, with a defense that allowed 29 points per game last year and got worse in the offseason. You say they got Shaq Lawson, and he’ll be an improvement to the Watt-less pass-rush? Well, Buffalo needed pass-rush a year ago and let him walk to Miami. Miami needed pass-rush this year and dumped him in a trade to Houston. So a front seven led by Whitney Mercilus and Lawson (neither of whom has had an eight-sack season in the last five years) won’t keep the heat off perhaps the league’s most suspect secondary. Houston in 2020 allowed 70 percent completions, a 109.3 opponent passer rating, and had three picks while giving up 30 TD passes. Yikes. I didn’t even use the Houston, we’ve got a problem line, because that would be understating how bad the prospects for 2021 are.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-fmia/

15. gucci888

Woof...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Excellent summary. I would be shocked if this team wins more than 2 games. Defense is going to be absolutely atrocious.

17. raining threes

A legit concern and I like the Mills pick.

gucci888 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. gucci888

I'm coming around to it honestly. Caserio hitting on Mills completely changes the rebuild timeline so guess it's worth the shot. Worse comes to worse we use our high pick next year on a QB as we likely would've done anyways. Personally I would have liked to grab Ossai as our pass rush will likely be non-existent which does not give our already horrid secondary any chance really.

raining threes likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member