1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

my futu had a blow out earnings, see above, and it's up 0.1%... sadness.

whag00 likes this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

imo the biggest beneficiaries are the foundry suppliers as the usa invests in equipment to boost manufacturing locally. stuff like klac/asml, but this may already be priced in. took profits on those last week to dabble in the HDD game lol.

i don't think taiwan lockdowns will be that bad, they are just being super cautious. if the new mutant strains really get out of control it won't be just asia that's in trouble, those strains are already in the usa.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Do you guys own bank stocks? Good idea to buy with NIM expansion if rates go up? Any specific ones to recommend? Was looking at GS.

4. adoo

adoo Member

BAC and WFC

both profitable under-performers--had been trading barely above book value--are turn-around plays

they both hired no-nonsence/hard-nose CEOs to change the culture​

saitou likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

should it close about 222.5 today,
    i'll buy more CALLs for a quickie

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Just JPM and OZK. I don't think I will get rid of either any time soon. I have faith that JPM will fend off all of the newer tech and continue to sponge off of the American people.

saitou likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe I'm crazy... But why does COIN go down so violently and hand-in-hand with crypto when it starts to dip? Don't they still make the same fee when people sell? And if prices fall, isn't that an opportunity for people to eventually buy more?

CCity Zero and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's true they make money when they buy and sell, but after massive corrections a lot of people run for the hills and hide. There are people that won't get back into crypto from the last crash because they lost so much. The same was true of the stock market. The ideal situation for Coinbase is probably for the market to be going up, people thinking they're daytraders, and have them daytrading like crackmonkeys. :D

On top of that, even if crypto does keep going up, there are a lot of competitors to this space for traders's eyes in the US, whether they be Robinhood, PayPal, Square, Gemini, etc., so if the only way you make money is by via trades, you may be losing a share of those since your "market dominance" in the US is being whittled away as time goes on.

Then there's the 3rd option of "SELL EVERYTHING CRYPTO!!!".

I see Coinbase is still having major issues during sell-offs like they used to from the outages I heard about today. Nice. lol. This could be the 4th option that helped it go down.

CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Pretty sure there's a % fee, so fees collected in USD terms will go down if btc goes down.

by dumb luck i sold COIN after starting up my binance account again and seeing how much they've evolved since 3 years ago. coin looks like a dinosaur in comparison, besides having a **** load more alts - binance smart chain ecosystem, futures, mining pools, loans, staking, and more that i haven't explored. wish i could buy binance shares. their token isn't quite the same thing. binance is also quite international, with localized portal for singapore and other countries, and the appropriate licenses to operate in these places. in the past i had to transfer fiat to gemini, and transfer btc to binance to fund the account. now i can fund binance directly thru my singapore bank. binance is serious business.

10. adoo

adoo Member

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

#16451 saitou, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
  12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

13. adoo

adoo Member

did not buy yesterday.

but, as of this AM, MACD has just crossed above zero and
    • trading action has broken thru major resistance, to be above the 20 dma
    • the parabolic SAR, a lagging indicator, has confirmed a change in direction to the upside
    • next resistance level ~ 235

[​IMG]

bought 230 strike CALL expiring tomorrow, for 33 cents.

CRM has a good chance of closing above 230 today​

#16453 adoo, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    saitou likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bought into Numinus LKYSF@.735 today. It finished on it's high @.81 on good volume. I've traded it before, but not in awhile....been waiting waiting waiting for today...as I think it's finally ready to blow away these levels. Curious as to y'alls thoughts on the sector (which was up big today) and these charts.

15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

y do you think it's ready to blow? are you looking at it from a technical chart perspective or fundamental catalyst?

i'm a noob on this, are they comparable to mindmed? i would be interested if they are viewed similarly and numinus is applying to uplist to nasdaq as a play on the catalyst. Otherwise in this environment i'd rather not touch. bound to be many more rounds of financing/dilution. i don't know whether inflation/rate hike fears will persist, so i'm sticking to profitable/very near profitable companies for now, which numinus is still many years away from.

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]

+ Insider buying at $3.40.
    + chart looks good?
    + Valuation. Cap at $27.5m, net cash worth $14m, management says $8m-$12m revenue this year is conservative, become profitable this year.
    + Turnaround narrative: Previously won contracts for new deployments in Africa got pushed back due to covid, finally started to recognize this revenue last qtr. Dilution to raise funds last year killed momentum, but they now have good balance sheet. New saas acquisition compliments physical identity/access management hardware, growing higher margin/recurring services. Had a contract win with US Department of Justice. Management upbeat on further Africa expansion (from Nigeria to Kenya) and in Asia.
    - Biometrics may be seen as legacy business, suppressing multiple.
    - Management have highlighted collecting payment as risk of operating in africa, and need to be careful with who they are selling to.

edit: was short a $65 put on SDGR, managed to close a few mins ago for 45cents for $5 profit. Already holding heavy bags, didn't want to take on more *sweat*.

#16456 saitou, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm still up like 45% on the MARA/RIOT I kept. But actually debating if I want to hold it through the weekend. Thoughts? If BTC crashes over the weekend I'll be walking into major potential losses on Monday. Sigh.

The good news is - I don't really care. I already took a nice profit from those plays. I was letting the rest RIDE for FUN. on the thought that BTC would eventually hit $75k. Maybe even $100k.

MARA has not been the greatest company lately IMO, but they've done a few things to imply the ship will turn around soon, assuming BTC remains viable.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The problem with the crypto market is that people get spooked off by the huge downturns. It's not just that people cash out. You actually lose those investors for a long period of time, if not permanently. The reality is only a fraction of crypto investors are true believers. Many are just responding to stories about people multiplying their money several times over with a crypto investment but when those people are on the wrong end, they just cash out and give up. All of these crypto exchanges/brokers are just burning cash to build up their respective consumer base. Huge swings like this mean permanently losing customers.

Additionally, COIN's future (and the future of some of its competitors) is heavily reliant on their ability to become a home for institutional investors. They've spent a lot of money trying to become a prime brokerage for crypto. If institutional investors bail on crypto, COIN loses a massive future revenue stream. Not to mention, COIN's own volatility has the added effect of scaring away institutional investors. No one is going to tie millions of dollars with a prime brokerage that lives and dies with the instability of crypto. Prime brokerages by definition must be highly stable because investors have to feel confident that COIN won't turn into the next Bear Stearns.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

this is by far the most impt factor. how is mara's debt? miners are more complicated than just hodling, they need to sell coins to sustain opex and capex to keep up with hash rates. is this cycle already over or is there more juice left in the tank for btc over next 3 months?

peleincubus likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member