1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebuilding: Another year of tank poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, May 19, 2021.

?

Tank one more year or compete now?

1. Compete, we were 11-10 at one point before injuries, we can make playoffs and use other peoples pick

36 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. Tank, we're young, this year we have our pick with an intersting draft class,

122 vote(s)
    77.2%
  1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It depends on how the offseason goes. You never know, something special could happen. The rockets didn't fully know what they had when they first got Harden. Ditto with the mavs and Doncic.

Barring something very fortunate occurring though, like many have said here, we should be bad enough to be a lotto team.

I don't think we should start off the season playing the same way that we ended this season though, it's been a little ridiculous.

raining threes likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

I voted "tank" because I don't think we will have an option to be good and look to shed our major contracts.

I think we will be "predatory" or "flexible", but most likely we are looking at another two years are being a bottom team.

raining threes likes this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Keep tanking!

juanm34 and chadyang like this.
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Close your eyes, give me your hand
    Do you feel my heart beating
    Do you understand
    Do you feel the same
    Am I only dreaming
    Or is this losing an eternal tank

hakeem94, juanm34 and mikol13 like this.
  5. thekad

thekad Member

“Tank” insofar as they shouldn’t use assets for so-called “win now” players (Beal, etc.) or to dump salary (Gordon).

But make no mistake this team is garbage and was not intentionally throwing games until these last couple weeks.

dmoneybangbang and juanm34 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

this team will be at the bottom of the West again next year regardless

injuries is just a convenient scapegoat...the team flat out sucks on both ends of the floor

the Rockets were 11-10 at 1 point because of an incredibly flukey 6 game win streak that should be taken with the biggest grain of salt...we were facing heavily injured or decimated teams while having most of our roster shooting over 40% from 3 on good volume...it wasn’t sustainable whatsoever

this team is garbage, and will be garbage again next year...at least we’ll have our pick

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The most recent thing TF has been quoted as saying has been the most promising thing that has come out of his mouth in a while.

And if he meant any of it then that means it’s another year of tanking. Resisting the urge to waste valuable assets on short term gains and looking towards the future.

We can only hope he meant it. Being the 6th-8th worst record in the league instead of one of the 3-4 worst next year would be really dumb.

Corrosion, raining threes and ico4498 like this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Raphael is as smart as we think he is, we should be done with tanking. It's time to get back to winning basketball.

kjayp likes this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If Tatum is disgruntled and wants out then it could happen. Happens damn near every year.

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I disagree with anyone/everyone who doesn’t think the tank was legitimately mandated by Tilly!!

1. Championship team....NO!
    2. Contender....................NO!
    3. Good Team..................NO!
    4. Playoff team.................Longshot!
    5. Bad team......................YES!
    6. Worst team by design...HELL YES!
    As much as I despise Ferntitts for being a cheap owner who doesn’t really have the resources to compete with the real billionaire owners in the NBA, he is not a complete moron! COVID made it the perfect time to tank and help Tilly stay afloat!

NO! This is not a good team, but it’s not as awful as their record indicates! This team was photoshopped to perfection! You and I saw what they wanted us to see...

Will they tank next year? I personally don’t think Tilly can handle another year of empty seats! He simply can’t afford it, hence IMHO the Rockets will try as hard as they can for a playoff spot. Not the smartest move in my opinion, but necessity will dictate the course!!

Go Rockets!!!

Corrosion, kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Championship or BUST mentality sucks! This is sports entertainment, and losing is not entertaining. Seriously considering grown men wearing colorful athletic wear for pieces of metal is stupid. Better to enjoy sports entertainment for what it is and what it can be.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be amazing.

13. deshen

deshen Member

Tank or not, what is the difference in the end of the season? I have no confidence on FO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Depends upon who is on the roster.

DD

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Sounds like you'd be better suited to WWE than basketball to be honest. Geeze, it's like half the people in here have never played a sport in their life or something. Deliberately sucking isn't winning at sports, regardless of a daft lottery with no guarantee that the player you get is even going to make a difference. It's literally the benefit-scrounger approach to life transferred over to sports. "Oh why should I work hard to achieve something when I can be a total bum and get something for free?" That's why it doesn't work. All the tank-obsessed people really need to look at how long most of the worst teams have been the worst teams and re-evaluate their entire position.

juanm34 and PuzzledFan like this.
  16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think there's a whole lot of tanking left to be done. To me, tanking is really only one thing: trading away of older players who contribute to winning for assets that will not contribute to winning. These "assets" could be draft picks, older players who contribute less to winning, older players who have shorter contracts, or younger players. There is one other small component of tanking, and that's choosing to liberally rest your injured, best players.

As far as front office moves, the Harden trade really was the tank...there really wasn't anything else. I knew we were unlikely to trade Wall or Gordon due to their contracts/age/value, so they were never going to factor in tanking. Hard to argue that PJ Tucker was contributing to winning, he was actually one of the worst players on the team after the Harden trade, so I don't really see how trading him was tanking. Especially since we got Augustin back, who I'd argue actually did MORE for the Rockets than PJ Tucker did this season. The Oladipo trade was the one move that early on looked like a proper tanking move, but it turns out we actually got back a player who contributed MORE to winning on the Rockets than Oladipo ever did. Yet another TANK FAIL for the Rockets.

So, I ask after the Harden trade...what did we actually do that really contributed to tanking? Seems like the injuries were 95% of it, and front office moves had little to do with it.

So what options does that leave us next season for tanking? I still don't think Wall or Gordon are tradable, so nothing there. What other old players do we have that our tradable? No one of any significance. So yeah, I don't see any route to tanking next season. However, we will be bad again, which is good. Especially if we lose the lottery this season, we're most likely going to need a player at a high draft pick next year to kickstart the rebuild. Assuming we finish towards the bottom again next season, we'll at least have control of our pick even if we lost the lottery, so we would still have a top 7 pick.

don grahamleone and ico4498 like this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

Cade will be 41 by the time we're finished tanking but James Harden's son is in the 2044 draft class tho... lets keep the tank alive

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Being the worst team doesn't give you an advantage for the number 1 pick anymore...there is no more coin flips.....and with the people coming out being around 19 years old they are not ready to compete anyway.

Let's see who is on the roster....we might do some flipping ala Morey.

DD

don grahamleone and kjayp like this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

We sucked, but we were also quite liberal about sitting guys. Not saying we would have been .500, but we could have won a few more games.

20. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Rockets should compete, but I think they'll still be bad. This team feels so far away from contending. Even if they manage to field a consistent and healthy lineup, they'll still be picking lottery.

A lot can change between now and next season. But I'd focus on making sure the younger players are learning and developing the right way.

Being 11-10 at one point last season doesn't really tell us much. Rockets have turned over much of the roster from that point in time.