1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

They should rename the Toyota center to "The Elephant Graveyard".

BossHogg713, D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

your choice, respected; gotta say I do understand your reactions as I have left teams of my youth after major catastrophic situations. The Texans are a hard buy in. ‘Strops, too. Yet for TheRox, stretching Wall is not comfortable but it is also not incendiary. To me.

Dankstronaut and raining threes like this.
  3. raining threes

So you aren't a fan of Houston teams?

Only a fan of players?

4. raining threes

Jilly's long fingers.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Everyone's got a line. For me, the championship Rockets were what made me love sports. I've watched a one man crusade to burn that to the ground, with James Harden doing his best to make up for it. Without Harden this team is just Tilman burning assets and until he does literally anything besides that... why continue watching hoping it will change?
    Is there something unclear about what I said that I can clarify for you? I don't have to support teams because I live nearby, particularly when I don't agree with the decisions that are made as organizations. What a silly concept for grown people in 2021.

BigDog63 likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lets put the idea of buying out Wall to rest .....

If you buy him out right now , you owe him $91.6m and every bit of it hits the cap instantly.

League Rules Prohibit the stretching of contracts that are greater than 15% of the cap total. Walls contract is 37.8% this year & 39.36% Next year.

Can Not Stretch.

Can Not Buy Out with the cap hit.

Forget it.

You either throw away assets to move him or you ride it out.

mikol13 and BossHogg713 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ra-fell can lie to us but I hope he doesnt really believe this shet.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know how we will do it, but I cannot wait to see him gone.

mikol13 and BossHogg713 like this.
  9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It never ceases to amaze me how we are having this conversation now when we knew when we acquired Wall this was always his fate. There is no way in hell Wall is being bought out. Forget it. He is not cancelling a $50M contract on his final year. With how worthless he was later in the season we will be lucky if he is playing well next year to trade him at the deadline. Even that is a bit fantasy at this point. This organization does nothing but make disastrous decisions at every turn.

10. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Are you familiar with the Houston Texans?

luckyman76 likes this.
  11. raining threes

Very clear that you wont be a fan of Houston sports teams probably for the next decade. Ownership of all of these franchises is unlikely to change.

Although I disagree, I respect your stances.

12. HROZ

HROZ Member

Literally tell Wall he will be backing up Porter (and hopefully Cunningham for 2 years)

Or he takes $25 mill less and gets a buyout & he can try get that back(and some) from another team.

13. HROZ

HROZ Member

Buyout is only if he leaves money on the table.

If he leaves 25 million plus. They gotta buy him out.

Lets us spend 25 mill next free agency on young players. Hopefully getting the SF version of Christian Wood.

14. HROZ

HROZ Member

Asking him to leave 25 mill on the table that he can make back by playing for another team for 2 years isn't asking much.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

After everything Wall has done for this franchise during his time as a Rocket, it's only right we grant his wish and send him to the team of his choice.

mikol13 and Dankstronaut like this.
  16. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Why do WE do that though? That does nothing for us. Look at the cap and look at what happens if we could possibly move him later. You don't magically get $25M in cap space back. There is no reward for us in the long run. We MIGHT, MIGHT be able to move him next year which is far more advantageous for us when some team like the Knicks wants to get another star. You are asking that we swallow close to $70M for nothing. We are already doing that anyway. I think there is a strong possibility a team like the Knicks takes him and then signs him to a friendly multiyear extension that lessens the impact of that final year. He is not letting go of $50M and we have no incentive to give him away. If he could have been healthy and played well and not selfishly there were some opportunities to move him with a couple 2nds.

As a team, we really screwed ourselves during and after the Harden trade in misjudging the direction of this team. Again, how you have many months to make that trade and have no plan for the future is why we are where we are. PJ should have been moved with Harden with EGo going shortly thereafter. I always thought Dipo was only coming here to get moved immediately to NYK and they just couldn't work it in the trade. He never should have been here. That stupid false 6 game streak and everyone loses their damn minds.

17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Sure, in trade, 100% as long as we aren't sending 1sts to them. Paying him over $90M to do nothing not cool.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm not trying to pick at you man, I respect your takes too but if you don't think they are going to change for a decade why spend money and time on that?

raining threes likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Looks like another Wall we have to pay for.

raining threes likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't see him benefiting this team as a mentor, nor do I think he wants that role. He hasn't shown leadership for two franchises now. It is best to part ways, but the fact remains, he is our best player. I could live with him on team as long as he can live with it. We aren't going anywhere for a few years.