1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would this team have the #1 record in the league right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 24, 2021.

?

Better than the Jazz?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Too many large contracts. We’d be in the luxury tax. This team could never exist under Tilman. Anything he does from their point forward doesn’t change the fact that he had a prime James Harden and forced Morey to make trades to get under the tax time after time instead of trades to maximize our window of opportunity. He kept kicking the can down the road talking about the future and the super tax and the future was never promised. That future never came.

hakeem94, Nick_713 and HP3 like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Better than the Jazz? Without a doubt.

A better record than the Jazz? Maybe not.

3. thekad

thekad Member

Pretty ballsy for some of the defenders in here to claim "hindsight is 20-20".

The posters claiming the Rockets would be better had they stayed the course - and they would be better - were the very same posters explaining every step of the way how Tilman was dismantling a championship team and giving up draft picks to do it in order to save himself money.

This isn't a "hindsight" thing. It's a "we told you so" thing.

Like we told you Tilman dumped a promising young player in Jarrett Allen to - again - save himself money.

chadyang, ronclone, Nick_713 and 2 others like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Gotcha. I thought he was saying: Where would we be THIS year? Like, if we'd acquired Covington last year, then signed Wood over the summer.

Regardless, I like our odds with a team of Harden/CP3/Covington/Tucker/Wood.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

In the G League? Absolutely!!!

Edit: ohhhhhhh OP, you mean if we had other players... Possibly but I'm sure tilman would do something to mess it up. I complained about Les sometimes in the past, but he didn't even derail a team that fast. I think ideally to make this work though you would want it to be a new run like 2018. So it might be hard to repeat but if CP3 was performing like he did in 18 and/or 20 I think the team would certainly be competing for a title. .

HP3 likes this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Just read this Chron Article man, who cares about Harden anymore.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...en isn't in MVP,backward 2020-21 season began.

Harden got everyone he could get here, and he just didnt have what it took to lead a team to Finals.

JOH Fans act like he was done wrong here. Dude Harden didnt want to be here anymore, why people keep acting like he was forced out the door. Dude is not even a real champion anyways, couldnt lead no team anywhere. **** is getting old.

7. thekad

thekad Member

Except...he was done wrong. Again compare the team in the OP to the clown show that suited up against the Cavs tonight.

CP3 was traded away with picks for a worse player because Tilman is an idiot. Covington was traded away for picks and Ariza, who was let go to save money because Tilman is also cheap. Capela was basically salary-dumped.

If the Rockets had done nothing the past three years, they would be in a position to be the #1 seed right now.

YOLO and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keeping it 100!

DD

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and if it was all so draining - why did he insist on playing late into blowouts to pad his stats? Why did he constantly refuse to load manage against weaker matchups? Dude is jus a lyin narcissist trying to rewrite history so he doesnt look like such an asshat... smh...

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  10. thekad

thekad Member

So, CP3 is going to end up finishing top 5 in MVP voting and Capela just put up a prime Gobert season.

Both players were basically salary dumped.

chadyang, clutchdabear, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

All playing in the next few weeks in the playoffs

Cp3
    Capela
    RoCo
    Uncle Jeff
    PJ
    Rivers
    BMac

HP3 likes this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

CP3 mentioned in interviews this year, that losing Ariza was a big deal for that team, he called him the glue guy and it was so obvious to us what losing Ariza would do. It was shocking the front office didn't really understand his importance. I think if you had a functioning Ariza or Ariza replacement, yes that team would have won a championship if Harden could have made adjustments to make it work, or CP3 whichever needed to make adjustments to make it work that team would probably have won a championship by now, and be competing for another. We were a lot closer than people realize even last year. We came up game 1 and destroyed the eventual champions. We had House's distractions and Westbrick's inconsistencies that ended that series very quickly. CP3 had the capability to be a coach on the floor, and I think he would have made up for where MDA was not able to make adjustments during that series, but it would have taken Harden listening to him for it to have worked. I do not feel bad for Harden if he never ends up winning a ring, it was on him to make that work and his ego got the best of him.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Ariza sucked after he left the rockets. If cp3 was healthy cp3,harden,capella would have been a top team this year.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Of course, they would be better than them.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The problem with that team though is that last year, they basically have minimal bench production come playoff time. House was a moron in the bubble and Gordon has been injured or with a broken 3 pt shot. Even this year, that has stayed the same and Tucker I think is done.

I know they still have draft capital in your scenario, but D'Antonio never really develops rookies or includes in them playoff rotations. So I'm not sure if they actually have enough pieces to win a title.

Lastly, I don't know how long Harden would have tolerated CP3 riding him for defense or to be more involved off the ball. I know he says the right thing now in NYC, but I think that is because he grew up with Durant and Kyrie which is more like good friends checking you rather than an old brother riding you.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes sucked so bad he's still playing 4 years after at 35 and now starting with the Heat.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We would have never paid for all these guys.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Trick question. There is no room on the roster for LTS.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Silly me, I left out Ariza. Amazing what a damn good team you could have had if you didn't have the worst owner in the league

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

The unfortunate reality is that there were a lot of factors fault for why everything crumbled so quickly.

However, I would place about 75+% of the blame on Tilman.
    Morey was far from perfect and made several dumb moves. But in the past, Morey used to always be about acquiring assets. After Tilman, he started making trades like giving away draft picks for no other reason than to shed the salary of Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight. Where did that come from? Change in ownership. Even small changes like that and overall change in the culture of the team can erode away lots of other areas, including player's attitudes.
    It's not a coincidence than within very short time of Tilman buying the team, every single major contributor to the franchise is gone- CEO, GM, Coach, MVP.