1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you talking about hand-checking rules for post play?

None of those rules kick-in until the offensive player has the ball, at which point Harden starts using only one hand, whereby he releases the other and knocks the ball away with it. Technically, he’s supposed to be using only a forearm in that replay, but an elbow-bent hand is rarely called, since that’s allowed in lower box.

as for before the offensive players gets the ball, there is no language limiting number of hands/forearms for the purpose of maintaining a defensive position ... so you’d be making a judgment call wrt holding or pushing. Refs didn’t make that call, and it’s a pretty lame NBA, if you think that call should be made.

Regardless, no rule limits number of hands/forearms used to maintain defensive position against someone who doesn’t have the ball.

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

On the Nets with two very capable scorers and creators where he isn't asked to do soo much on offense they just might use him on defense in those situations. He was one of the primary defenders on Kobe in his OKC days. The Rockets just asked him to do way too much offensively. He's always been a good one on one defender. Most of the videos you see are on his help defense where he completely falls asleep and loses his man.

But really it doesn't even matter. Jokic would be on the bench if they even get to the finals to play the Nets because the Harden pick and roll will make him such a liability on defense they will bench him. Just like how Harden dominated Jokic as a Rocket.

rockbox, vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  3. HardenVolumeOne

red5rocket and hakeem94 like this.
  4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

lol, the top 7 teams this year finished with the 7 highest ratings ever. yeah they might need to do something about defense.

on a side note, harden has been on 4 of the top 23 offenses ever.

mike the anthony has 6 of the top 36 and 8 of the top 57. phoenix shows up all over the place from the early 90's and late 2000's.

jordnnnn and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  5. HardenVolumeOne

yea the league needs to bring handchecking back, extend the 3 point line further back and allow bigs to camp in the lane. thats the only way any simblance of defense will be restored. The nba talking about cracking down on james harden in the off-season for what feels like the 100th time too me is a waste of time

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

that's exactly what I meant. It would be switch and feed to the post every time, You can compare Gobert all you want to all-time greats but the fact is Harden would be gassed by third quarter trying to guard Duncan/Yao/Garnett/Shaq etc. This is rockets forum so let's take Yao for example... he had legs like ****ing trees he could backdown Shaquille Oneal or shoot fadeaway against ANYBODY. Imagine switching 6'5 guard with average post defense on to him this would be ****ing murder. Yes Harden could get his on offensive end but his playing style requires stamina which we saw many times and with great bigs punishing him downlow with big, heavy bodies would takie toll on him greatly, especially in 7 game series. Embiid isn't quite as physical as them, I know he has tools, but he settles way too much. It wouldn't be the case with those guys and Jokic is nearest comparison for them. Id say it's 9/10 bucket every time he caches ball deep against Harden but I would love to see stats

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How about each team has to (gets to) designate one player on the court who is ref’d by pre-3pt rules. He doesn’t get a 3pt line (all shots worth only 2 for him), and the new hand checking and defensive 3 second rules also don’t apply to him.

to identify him easily, he also has to wear a hard hat ... Hard Hats will increase NBA sales, too, btw. :D

red5rocket, hakeem94 and CriscoKidd like this.
  8. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Now you got the NBA's attention.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

lol you just time warped the goal post to a different era

though we were talking about Embid and Jokic

10. bmelo

bmelo Member

so you didn't read my first post because I started off with statement that bigs are soft and Duncan/Yao/Garnett/Shaq would not allow all the switching

11. i3artow i3aller

12. TimDuncanDonaut

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Love how he has no problem poking fun and calling out all the hypocrites and alluding to narratives

As playoffs approach, Brooklyn Nets' James Harden says he's 'all about winning' and not worried about his stats

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...mes-harden-says-all-winning-not-worried-stats

Heading into the playoffs, Harden says he is paying those numbers no mind. After all, on previous teams -- like in Houston -- stuffing the stat sheet with mind-boggling scoring wasn't enough to impress pundits or win titles.

"I thought winning was all that matters?" he said with a laugh on Wednesday. "When I was doing the stats and putting up the numbers, it wasn't good enough. So, at some point we've gotta figure out what we're talking about. But it's all about winning."

vlaurelio, hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just want to see some good games

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. riko

riko Member

He is playing well and under control but nothing like he was like he was playing before the hamstring injury. I guess having Durant back he is looking to score less as well. But you saw how he took over in the second quarter when he was out there by himself. Scored and assisted on 17 straight points

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Man .. . Nick Wright is like 180 on Harden . . .. . It is hilarious to watch

He is Bitter

Rocket River

19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I think he's playing just as well and is capable of scoring more, but it's not really necessary for these games against the Celtics.... He's led the Nets in WS, BPM, and VORP during the regular season and so far through two games he's leading them in the same advanced impact stats... He's getting all the others involved and making things that much easier for KD and Kyrie.

I think vs the potential Bucks series is where we'll see some larger scoring outbursts.

20. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yeah as soon as Harden was on a team that threatened LeBron's Lakers he made the turn to trying to downplay what he's been doing or the Nets as a threat.... He big upped Harden in past years because the Rockets were the biggest threat to the Warriors.

jiggyfly, hakeem94, riko and 2 others like this.