1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Horry for Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 15, 2021.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

loves me some Robert H. There should be a special category for his accomplishments. They just don’t merit HoF, mores the pity.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My heart and the rings say yes, but the career numbers just aren't there.

jim1961, Richie_Rich and DCkid like this.
  3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Horry was never the go to player leading his teams to a title (not even the 3rd player). He was always a role player. Yes, he hit a couple of big shots along the way that helped his teams win a game to get there, but his game was not HOF worthy. I like the guy, but sorry, he was not a top player of his time.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Rudy's not wrong in that it's undeniable that Horry is a legendary player. He just amplified that narrative, and the simple, narrative-loving sports media may just eat that **** up. Especially if beloved, well-respected people like Rudy keep mentioning it. He could ride the "legend" all the way into the HOF.

My heart says yes, my brain says no, and my low opinion of the sports media says, hmm, maybe this has legs.

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

Yeah they start showing replays of his game winners and big plays and there are a lot -- people may not pay attention to the overall numbers and jump on the bandwagon.

Sidenote... Imagine Horry as a modern prospect -- 19 years old prepping for the 2021 draft -- I think he would be a lotto pick.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rudy's just trying to make up for trading him for Sean Elliott, where Sean's kidneys saved both their careers.

I'm not sure how bad his tendinitis was but he as much the modern day trailblazer for load management as he was for being a 3nD forward.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see the cliff notes Horry fans here

not remembering the defense, rebounds, steals, block shots

it’s not just a couple of threes

8. plegus

plegus Member

The most accomplished role player ever in the moden era, he should be a HOF for sure. Fun video:

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Like Horry a good player but not HOF material

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

7 rings. . . . HALL OF FAMER
    He was INSTRUMENTAL in every last one of them

Rocket River

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nice thread bump.

If he had made some all-defensive teams I think there would be a strong argument; Dennis Rodman is in there, for instance, and I do think there should be room in the hall for defensive stars since they clearly let guys who don't play defense in. However, it is hard to see Horry getting in since he never made all-defense, all-star, or all-NBA and never led the league in any statistical category to my knowledge.

plegus likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

Clutch Shot Wing of the Hall of Fame, with gold Robert Horry Statue at the Center, All alone, Basking in the sunlight rays streaming down as if from heaven. Halo soundtrack humming in the background.

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

sorry, but not even close to hall of fame, player. not even close. just got lucky to be on great teams. He was clutch though.

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He got lucky to play with great players, but he helped make those great teams.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Would those great players be considered as great if they hadn't played with Horry? I think not.

Kobe, Shaq, and Duncan all have Horry to thank for at least one title.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Horry no showed for a CAMEO I ordered from him... never not meet your heroes.

17. KingCheetah

+

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Patience and roslolian like this.
  19. KingCheetah

I hate the Spurs, but this game had me geeking out and was an Horry classic.

plegus and Patience like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you know who are in the hall of fame?

It's a very low bar. Personally considering they already put nobodies in the HOF I think every player who managed to stand out deserves to be in the HOF.

Rocket River likes this.