1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What’s With All The Wall Hate???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 16, 2021.

1. opticon

opticon Member

John Wall is a rich man's Jordan Clarkson. The sooner he realizes that the sooner he can be a star in his role and win a championship with a contender. In a perfect world, he comes of the bench for us next year and raises his value so when we buy him out so he can latch on to a contender.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

People keep saying "he'll be an expiring in a year," and assume that will make him an asset. Do we have any reason to believe that? In NBA history, how many guys getting paid around what he's getting paid and playing as poorly as he plays, have been moved in their final year? Has it ever happened?

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If healthy next year, does Wall even start? will Wall even play in half of the games?

Wall's contract is what it is. Nobody will want to pay out that contract. The Rockets are in no position to give FRPs, in order to move that contract.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i remember the time when he was in dc and his teammates rejoiced in a newfound chemistry and good form when johnny was out with injury lololol

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

His time here will be riding out the bench - the $40+ million dollar paperweight.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

He is where Carmelo was three years ago; mentally. Realization not set in yet.

Rocket fans wanted him to kind of fill what DJ Augustin is currently filling. DJ currently more bang for the buck, and he doesn't need to be load managed.

If Wall is more efficient at 3pt catch & shoot, he could do that more. "I'm playing my game", means ball in his hand. At some point I hope the coaches and Wall sit down and figure something out. Between Wall and KPJ if both starting, one of them take the SG role. Kyrie and Harden figured it out; Silas should figure it out here.

I don't dislike Wall, maybe more annoyed that the fit is not there. And the obstacle is dancing around possible bruised egos.

#46 TimDuncanDonaut, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can play, but his game is all about him - he is not good enough to lead a WINNING team.....

DD

vator likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Even with all of this I would rather have him than Westbrook doing fake superstar stuff.

It's amazing how he has not gotten any heat for wanting "his" team again and requesting a trade after 1 year.

But hey that's just me.

[​IMG]

mikenm268 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Most likely at that point the only teams who would want him are ones that have longer term bad contracts attached to bad/mediocre players.

You know, basically what Wall is right now.

Invisible Fan and Haymitch like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He will NOT be an expiring next season , he will exercise that $47m option for 2022/23 and he'll be here until the trade deadline that year which is a season and a half.

That contract becomes an asset to teams who are looking to shed salary going forward. They can send out 125% Less and remove the actual amount from their cap going forward. Teams that suck don't want to be on the hook for long term big money. Teams that are bad and want to operate under the cap for the following season ..... If you are gonna suck , why be over the cap.

The "star" you are looking to acquire likely comes from a 3rd team and you do have to pony up assets for that player. The contract is a financial tool to allow you to make that move.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I meant he will be an expiring after next season. He will be an expiring in a year <> he will be an expiring next year. But I could have been clearer.

Also, I understand the logic of why some say he will be a trade asset in his final year. But what I'm doing is asking for actual historical examples of players such as him (with his contract and level of play) actually being moved. We (and fanbases all over) talk about the allure of having a big expiring (and sometimes the cap room that follows) but how often has it actually done what we fanbases want it to do? It seems like the only "expiring" contracts that get dealt for the purposes of saving money are between $10-$20 million, which is.... quite a bit less than Wall's deal.

I'm also interested to hear which teams (specific teams - not hypothetical teams) would be interested in Wall's expiring deal, and what we would get in return.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tracy McGrady to the Knicks on a $22m expiring ?

As for specific teams , I think its a little early in the game to know who may want to dump salary going into 2023/24.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Morty had to unclog the cap with his ryno dump by breaking it into two other smaller dumps.

The man knew his way around the FA buffet table, so we were lucky he was good with a plunger.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

T-Mac is a good example. His salary is much less than Wall's (by about half) but the salary cap that year was also about half of what it currently is.

But that's one example in 11 years. Such trades are very rare. It is possible that his contract is used in an expiring dump, but I think that's far from it becoming a genuine asset. Teams nowadays aren't usually as dumb as the Knicks were a decade ago.

I think it's much more likely that Wall's contract never comes close being anything beneficial to us.

lakersuck2 and No Worries like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

perineal
    per·i·ne·um
    (pĕr′ə-nē′əm)
    n. pl. per·i·ne·a (-nē′ə)
    1. The portion of the body in the pelvis occupied by urogenital passages and the rectum, bounded in front by the pubic arch, in the back by the coccyx, and laterally by part of the hipbone.
    2. The region between the scrotum and the anus in males, and between the posterior vulva junction and the anus in females.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Alternate thread:
    What's with simpleton millenials calling all critical thinking 'hate' nowadays?

17. Garner

Garner Member

Genuinely, what is to be made of this type of thinking? You only view a player positively if they play for their team, even if it is the same player before, during, and after they play for your home team?

seems bad.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If it makes you happy.,...

I liked Horry as a Rocket......there after as a Sun, Laker, Spur, everywhere he played.

Liked Sam Cassell as a Rocket.....there after.

Mario Ellie before, during, and after.

Harden before, during, after.

Olajuwon during and after.

Earl Campbell as an Oiler and after.

What do you think it means Doc....?

It doesn't matter what you think!! Like Melo I like ball hogs when they are Rockets
    but not when they *ain't. (I know ain't ain't a word)

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's up with all the simpleton hate?

jiggyfly and napalm06 like this.
  20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Wall sucks. Good luck on finding a team who wants to play with you John. And love how you **** all over Harden and got butt hurt for him wanting out and you turn around and do the same ****. Lol.

vator likes this.