1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is your postseason FA target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, May 15, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Baynes: 21/22...... $7.35M (non guaranteed)....

20/21: 18 mins....6 pts....5 rebs....24.3% (3P%)
    l9/20: 22 mins....11 pts...5.6 rebs...35% (3P%)

I feel the Rocket (Silas) system could open up his game, much like Olynyk.
    If he doesn't work out.....it's non guaranteed. Lower risk.

In the clip you can see him set screens, roll, dunk hard and easy, pass, shoot 3's.
    Matchup with Brook Lopez.

Maybe they could use Augustin again since Lowry is probably gone. Do they need House?

saleem likes this.
  2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yup. He has chemistry and has been bastin for us. Or not. Next year is another tank year anyway.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WTF?!?!

For what? He will literally be dead before we're back to trying to win.

We shouldn't be looking to spend substantial money on anyone over the age of 25-26. If you believe a guy like John Collins can be the next James Harden (OKC didn't want to pay James because they couldn't see he was ready to break out and carry a team) then you can try that (if you can make the cap work). But we're not likely to have much cap room. So more likely we're going to be looking for unheralded guys ready to make the jump like Jae'Sean Tate and Khyri Thomas.

luckyman76 and jiggyfly like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm surprised that Augustin has gained weight. He's always been a true professional. House can be a useful contributor for them. He might benefit from a fresh start. Ujiri might not agree to this though.

5. saleem

He can be a useful temporary solution if Olynyk decides to leave. He won't hurt the team as an expiring contract.

BamBam likes this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't believe we would ever get Collins. I was trying to get a rise out of people. No way
    I think we could fit a max player.

I need someone to body up with bigs for 20 minutes because Olynyk is too much of a
    dork on defense. Baynes contract ends just when I think Bassey is ready. I'm hoping
    the Rockets draft 6'11" (20 y/o) natural shot blocker, high motor, rebounder on a cheap
    rookie contract. Substitute one old (Augustin) for an old (Baynes) just to get by for one
    season.

Does anyone actually think the Rockets are true contenders while needing 3 rookies
    to contribute big in the 9 or 8 man rotation? Baynes would just be some insurance
    in case we do.

And that's the main point @saleem. No guarantee Olynyk comes back.
    The free agent pool is poor, no free agents like Houston because of
    culture (ask Mason Jones and McLemore recently). Trade might be the
    only way to shore up the center spot.

I'm not counting of skinny bones Mobley or Kai Jones.

#46 ApacheWarrior, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  7. Big Time Titan

That 5 year $90M deal for Capela sounds like a steal right about now. Should have NEVER traded him away like that.

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

More WNBA players like Kelly Olynyk will be Tilman's preference. One-year deals only, though. Oh, and I think Tilman was extra enthusiastic, according to Mcmahon's article because they're getting the 4th pick. The #1 pick makes too much guaranteed money.

9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

That'd be ok but I'd rather just keep throwing 10 day contracts at Patton types till we find one that works out. We'll be playing for Chet next year anyway.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm skipping the max offers to ball and collins. I don't want to get locked in to them. and I don't want to get stuck in mediocrity the next 2 years when we should be tanking for our picks.

I'm thinking throw the MLE at talen Horton-tucker. he's young enough and has enough potential to warrant rolling the dice on the MLE for a few years. its similar contract to a top lotto pick which is what he would be this year. I think THT with KPJ provide high potential to facilitate and score. both can play PG, play off ball, and defend the 1-3. if we don't keep our pick he could count as our rookie as KPJ did this year.

I'd resign Olynyk to move him later. I don't think wall or gordon can get moved without attaching picks which is the opposite direction of where the team is going (collecting picks). I don't think tilman can afford the buyout either.

I'd think next year's team looks pretty similar to this one.

wood-patton - pick
    olynyk-tate - pick
    THT-KJ-house
    KPJ-gordon-armoni
    Wall-DJ-kyrhi

hopefully we add a top 4 pick. if we keep it, I would draft best available. don't let John wall scare you off from drafting Suggs, don't let wood scare you off from drafting mobley. wall and wood are not a championship duo. we need talent and we'll figure out to stays and who goes later.

Deuce, sydmill and lionaire like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Not opposed to going after THT just to f*ck with the lakers. Somehow he's still 20 y.o despite a year in college and two years in the league.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised where Olynyk is on that chart ..... I'm resigning him then looking for an upgrade with the MLE , maybe Ntilikina ?

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

so ... we're not all onboard with tank 2.0?

14. saleem

We did miss his rebounding, but his rim protection had decreased. His offense was mostly confined to P/R's. He never worked hard enough to expand his repitore. Draymond ate his lunch all the time, and his planter fasciitis wasn't going away. It was time for him to go. I never liked small ball, but Ro-Co fit in better for the team. TF never looked for another backup center for additional depth.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tough to see the Rockets throwing big money at someone. An MLE offer to THT might be worthwhile for young upside. Keep in mind though the Lakers likely match

Rockets have their own FAs. What to do with them? Can you retain Nwaba & Brown for cheap? If so, they would be nice to keep around.
    Nwaba
    Olynyk
    Brown
    Exum

Also, Brooks with be a RFA. Rockets probably sign him to a cheap deal like Thomas'.

I would move on from Bradley and Wilson.

I think EG can be moved without attaching picks. I think he has at least neutral value.

Rockets currently have 3 FRPs in the draft.
    Rockets have these core players: KPJ, Wood, Martin, Tate, Thomas.

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I was reading a post about our core of Wood, Porter, Tate and KJ and thinking, I would trade all 4 for a top 3 pick IF we held our own pick.

If Brooklyn mops the floor with everyone, it may be time for GS to go all in and take Wood from us, and if they have a top 3 pick, I would oblige them. I like Wood, he just doesn't fit in our timeline. It would be great to pair Green and Cunnigham, and watch them scrap their way to the playoffs

I know it makes for bad culture, but I feel like the Rockets need to reset the team. I also think the Rockets should consider trading their late 1st rounders for future picks that have 2 way to protection.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Given where this team is, I almost feel like you don't target FAs as much as you allow the market to come to you. The first couple of weeks of free agency tend to see guys getting overpaid, sometimes by a lot. Once that activity tails off, you tend to have some good players available at a better price. For a rebuild, you'd have to think a young unproven player that has shown flashes here and there would be a good target based on how they fit on the team. Given the teams makeup right now, my sense is we'd be looking specifically for big men: PFs and Cs. Maybe a Lauri Markannen gets pursued here? Bobby Portis? Derrick Jones Jr.? Zach Collins? Those are the types of guys I'd be looking at.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The only reason he is a revelation is because people have never seen him play and all of these amazing things "Leadership"? have not led to wins or even improvement.

So what does he really bring to a winning team

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Temporary solution for what?

Did we just not finish with the worst record in the NBA.

Did Olynyk lead us to some wins that I missed?

20. saleem

It's not about winning right now. Realistically speaking, our problems are immense. Wood can't handle physical players, neither can D. J. Wilson. It can be a move to keep Wood at the 4 more often. Mr. LTS reigns supreme and we have very little cap room. If we are extremely lucky to acquire Cade or Green, a younger center should become an immediate target. A fill in the gap center is my suggestion if we drop out of the top 4.

don grahamleone likes this.