1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to address wack shooting fouls in the off-season. Rocket Legends Harden & Olynyk faint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, May 14, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jumping forward on 3s is very natural ... so natural they teach it for power (and higher jump) and give it a name ... The Sweep and Sway

I swear any who says jumping forward on 3s isn’t natural probabaly can’t make an NBA 3, and probably never noticed players jumping forward until they started enforcing the landing space more.

And I’d say jumping forward is even more necessary for power after doing a step back, in order to get your balance back into the shot after going backwards.

a stepback 3 is not supposed to be a fadeaway

#21 heypartner, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I addressed that in post #18

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I thought of Trae Young when I read this. But what annoys me more is the defenders who stand in front of a player who’s driving to the basket without trying to actually defend, just to get ran over and pick up an offensive foul. Not only it’s annoying, but somebody will get hurt doing it. They should tweak that rule, instead of worrying about shooting motions.

napalm06 likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I am in favor of anything that reduces whistles in the NBA.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stepping in the driving lane IS playing defense. Have you ever heard "defend with your feet, not with your hands"? Defense is at least as much about positioning as blocking the ball with your hands. If you take that away, you pretty much encourage reckless driving to the hoop running over people. That will advantage big and strong offensive players.

They already addressed the injury issue by adding the restricted area. Smart offensive players use the Euro steps to counter that.

The only problem with that play is the difficulty in judging the split second difference between whether or not the defender has established position.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Definitely time to crack down on Harden who is averaging fewer FTs per minute than he has in 10 years.

7 FTs per game -> do something adam silver!

fckbandwagons and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

silver also needs to do something about harden's clear travels

8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't this basically the Reggie Miller move?

This seems like those NBA announcements about "attention to this" but there is basically no real change to official calls and the game.

9. H.D.

H.D. Member

LOL at Wojo pretending he has any street cred.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

You don't think defenders trying to get in front of driving players without making an effort to defend just to get minor contact that they can over-embellish by falling down hard is an issue? It seems to happen too much, and I don't think it should be a legitimate tactic. Just because there was some minor incidental contact, that shouldn't give players a license to flop. The game is starting to become like soccer.

It's true that adding the restricted area help, but I also think more incidental contact - especially when a player is tricked into creating such contact - should be allowed, and refs should not have a problem letting such contact go without calling it either way. And intentional flopping should be penalized even if there was some incidental contact. Refs should be encouraged by the league to use their discretion, and only call the offensive foul when it's truly warranted.

11. H.D.

H.D. Member

Dude, the white-boy flop was taken out of the NBA with the restricted area. In fact, I would argue charges are not called enough, the refs liking to showboat on flashy plays.

12. HardenVolumeOne

saw this conspiracy theory on reddit, but it looks like adam silver is trying to curb the free throw attempts from perimeter players because he and the nba has seen james harden single-handley create a monster of little nba clones. Hardens fingerprints are all over the nba right now. And adam most likely wants more players to play like steph curry.

For years i always wondered why the league was hellbent on not seeing harden win a ring, or making rules to stop him. In their minds if harden won then the even more nba players than today would be playing like james. So they blantatly swallow their whistles on him in the payoffs and then have the media call him a choker when he fails to win againist impossible odds. funny

#32 HardenVolumeOne, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

If this is truly about the offense being "artificially inflated", I'm on board... if they bring back hand-checking.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Rules I liked to see changed/emphasized are -

No foul calls for rip through moves (unless it impedes natural shooting motion)
    No foul calls for offensive players using their arm to hook defensive player (offensive foul should be emphasized more on this play)
    No foul calls for offensive players jumping INTO/SIDEWAYS/BEHIND a defensive player on the ground or in the air.
    No foul calls for offensive players initiating contact by running/jumping sideways INTO defensive player trailing/guarding. (this happens multiple times a game)
    No foul calls for offensive players stopping after moving around screen and forcing contact between screener, defender and player. (happens all the time and usually the contact is forced by all three players)

TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree that the league doesn’t want Harden to win, oh well, the league hasn't always gotten its way because either some players fail to play their roles in the narrative, LeBron, or players overcome the narrative, Hakeem.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

If they called moving screens the Warriors would have 0 chips.

slothy420, hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What was it Harden said that one year?

"Every year they try to stop me and every year the points per game go up."

hakeem94 and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

19. HardenVolumeOne

the nba is so preoccupied with harden, because of his influence on younger players around the league that they have allowed draymond green to constantly berate their officials and to get away with nfl like moving screens. I know why they allow draymonds b.s., its because they know he is so vital to steph curry, but the mvoing screens part can be fixed easily

#39 HardenVolumeOne, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    hakeem94 and fckbandwagons like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Like I said, getting in front of driving players IS making a defensive effort. Why is it so hard to understand? It's sometimes even called "sacrificing your body." So yeah, it actually takes MORE courage to make that play than whatever you think is making an effort to play defense.

And embellishing falling isn't just an issue of drawing charge. It's also an issue of the driving players whenever the defender tries to block his shot. Flopping is a problem on both sides.

bmelo likes this.