1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. SuraGotMadHops

That's a terrible analogy. Any intelligent person understands the difference between driving impaired, which endangers the lives of ALL motorists, versus masking, which may or may not, depending on what the science is for any given week, have a miniscule chance of endangering the life of a low risk person.

Use your brain, apply yourself. It's ok, don't be scared.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Masks and vaccines don't make sense???

So instead of listening to the CDC and medical experts like Fauci you'll listen to politicians and conservative talking heads for medical advice? How does that make sense?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

No, I listen to my doctor for medical advice.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your post shows a basic misunderstanding of how the mask protects others as well as the wearer. Someone who isn't wearing it is endangering others just like a drunk driver.

You seem really bitter towards science and it seems like it comes from a misunderstanding.

Science is used based on the best available evidence at the time. Because it is science, it may change when there is better data available. So changing doesn't imply dishonesty.

The science of wearing masks hasn't really changed all that much. They realized that there was some additional protection for the wearer, and further elaborated on the types of masks and things like that. There was much dishonest prep about what Doctor Fauci said about not wearing masks early on when his advice was given to help make sure that healthcare workers had enough of a supply.

I'm fully vaccinated and not scared for myself. I would like to help the economy and country and stop the variants. So vaccinating and mask wearing make sense in order to protect people, stop the variants, and the economy moving again. People can choose to be a part of that effort or not. But if they choose to not be a part of it, they should be safe about it and stay home. Just like drinkers can still choose to get drunk. But they should be safe about it and stay home or get a ride from a sober driver. They are still free to drink if they are legal age. They just aren't free to endanger others.

mdrowe00 and JayGoogle like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What research and tests has your doctor conducted?

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So your doctor recommends that people don't get the vaccine or wear a mask?

I mean I'm sure there are some out there like that but just seems odd considering how often doctors administer vaccines and wear masks...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

My doctor recommended the vaccine for high riskers, I am not but I made the choice to get it anyway. My doc also said masks are effective only when social distancing is not possible (indoors only, useless outdoors), and even then, only true N95 masks are actually effective.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Your response makes me think that you don't understand that people aren't just looking out for themselves. Most human beings care about the health and safety of other human beings, even those they don't know personally.

What is needed is a certain percentage of the population taking the necessary precautions/safeguards to stamp out the spread. If it's only 5-10% of the country that thinks like you, probably not a big deal. If it's half the country, it is a big deal and it's going to unnecessarily result in way more excess deaths. There aren't any precautions or safeguards I can personally take to prevent that.

9. SuraGotMadHops

If you are high risk, take your own precautions. If you have a family member that is high risk, be careful around them and adjust accordingly. For the overwhelming majority of Americans, it's a virus with an extremely high survival rate. Those that are not high risk should have been able to live their life as they saw fit a long long long time ago.

Disagree if you wish. That's your prerogative.

10. durvasa

The problem is that I'm not the only one who can endanger someone I care about. That's what I meant when I said that me personally being as careful as possible isn't enough to protect the people I care about. We all depend on others in our local community to be careful for the general protection of people we care about. Telling people to just worry about themselves and not what other people are doing is not useful advice when dealing with a public health problem like this.

11. SuraGotMadHops

High risk folks can take their own precautions.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Joe Biden masterfully tackled COVID-19

Sanctity likes this.
  13. durvasa

They may not realize they are high risk, or they may not understand the level of precautions that are needed, or they may slip up for any number of reasons. The burden therefore falls on everyone else to take simple basic measures to reduce risk to those people. Which, right now, is getting a vaccine. Glad that you got one. Thanks for doing your part.

14. SuraGotMadHops

I disagree. On one hand you have people saying the science, risks, and remedies are obvious. The information is everywhere. So how can all of that be available and yet high risk people don't know what to do??? I have a hard time believing that, just like I don't believe certain communities are unable to register for IDs if they needed to. That's a big problem I see now, those that follow the Left tend to shortchange people's ability (from all cross sections) and demean their know-how and ability to process information and do things.

15. durvasa

There is a TON of misinformation out there. And even if someone is vaccinated, is that 100% protection against the virus? I don't know about that. Maybe it's close to 100% for most people, but for highly vulnerable people it may not be.

All I'm asking is for people to trust the science, trust their doctors, and get a vaccine to protect their local communities. The sooner we get most everyone on board with that, the sooner life can get back to normal for everyone. That's what we all want, right? I don't get why everything has to turn into a Right vs Left conflict.

JayGoogle and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The risk of dying from getting in a car wreck vs. the risk of dying from getting COVID......

LOL RIGHHHHTTTTTTTTT.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Are people still talking about masks not working? Over a year into it and people still not believing the basics is more so just people pissing in the wind. No saving them. Over 600,000 thousand dead in America and yet people will still spew nonsense. You don't want to believe in science? That's fine.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good Lord.

FranchiseBlade and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I'm starting realize things literally have reverberated back to the late 60s to 80s type of suffering and poverty. At the night time you see more and more people circling those metal barrel trash cans set a fire to keep warm. Just sad.

Blatz and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean, it just ravaged through India and people still want to deny the reality of this virus.