1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tensions over Palestinian evictions in East Jerusalem boil over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaBeard, May 9, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I generally like Brooks, and I was with him completely until he busted out that hypothetical at 4:45.

I'm pretty sure in this imaginary scenario those "Jewish refugees/prisoners" would never exist, because they'd all be dead at the hands of their captors rather quickly.

This is a big blind spot for a lot of liberals. Both sides don't seek the same ends. If the roles were reversed, or the shoe on the other foot, Israel would be wiped off the face of the Earth. This is an uncomfortable fact for the left to grapple with.

Note: I'm looking at this singular point in a vacuum alone by itself, and not determining a "who is right", "who deserves to exist as a country", "who owns the land" conclusion from it.

Kim likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The ends that they are seeking aren’t as static as you are making it out to be, I suspect.

If the roles were reversed, there would be tremendous diplomatic pressure not to “wipe them off the face of the Earth”. Just as Israel has begrudgingly granted Palestinians a sliver of land, my expectation is the same thing would happen if the situation was reversed.

jiggyfly and subtomic like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've long since given up any pretense that either side in this conflict has a moral superiority or who wants to wipe who off the maps. Yes Arab countries tried and lost to crush Israel. Palestinians have and continue to terrorize the Israeli population. There are many Israelis who would like to see Arabs wiped out and even today are calling on Gaza to be wiped out. Israel for decades has long been exercising collective punishment on the people of Gaza and the West Bank and are taking more and more of the West Bank everyday.

Kim and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Israel did a great move last night, luring the terrorists in a tunnel (away from Palestinian civilians) by making them think Israel's ground troops were moving in, then bombarding their tunnel systems. Hamas is in total shock.

Israel's smarts >>>>>>>>>>> Hamas terrorists' fanatism

tinman likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll never understand people slaughtering each other over land and religious beliefs. What God or higher being you believe in would approve of killing humans created by them?

VooDooPope and ROCKSS like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup. How many times does this need to be said in different ways. Because what you typed is not only true but has been said countless times. Until a generation comes along that is tired of this will it cease. Because the past and current generations have failed because of greed and/or hate.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Gaza doom loop:

https://www.vox.com/22430488/israel-gaza-war-2021-hamas-sheikh-jarrah

I found that to be a somewhat surprisingly well balanced assessment of the situation.

Kim and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Abrahamic god followed by Muslims, Jews and Christians. He was a pretty spiteful petty god.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

A good article explaining that the tide has turned on Israel and Zionism though they still have their military might. The Guardian Newspaper regrets ever supporting Zionism. Human Rights Watch finds it Apartheid. An important Israeli human rights group B'Tselem also finds it Apartheid etc. etc.
    https://mondoweiss.net/2021/05/zionisms-endgame-has-begun/

Nook likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook, AleksandarN and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did they get all the money for all those rockets ? I thought the Gaza Strip was poor people . They got more Rockets than Tilman

12. fchowd0311

13. fchowd0311

It doesn't take that much money to buy or produce rockets that have no guidance systems. Their rockets are very primitive and easily countered by Israeli defenses like the Iron Dome hence why the feast the Israelis claim to feel is no where near the fear Palestinians feel because attacks from Israel are far more efficiently deadly.

If Israeli citizens were scared as they claim they would migrate to modern first world developed nations in mass where they don't even require a visa to travel instead of flocking there from their comfort upper middle class lifestyle in their former residence in some first world developed nation like the US.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, the UN, the almost the whole world is completely biased except Israel, a the rightists in the US and a couple of other small countries completely dependent on US aid. lol

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren’t you a Muslim hater?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is Jared over there yet?

Nook, AleksandarN and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Subway? Opportunities galore...:(

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think he would probably fly or take a ship.

Andre0087 likes this.
  20. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No he and Ivanka are in Florida having a contest to see which one can inject the most Botox into their face without paralyzing their mouth.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.