1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you're right i agree with you in a way. i have said and have had things said to me in work settings from the opposite sex that eclipse that to a large degree. those are people that I am very close to and joking around is not going to create problems. mind you that i different than a televised confirmation hearing lol

i have been the first one when i have been a bar manager that has had women been treated badly by coworkers and especially customers/patrons and have shut that sh*t down. one place i worked had extremely attractive women that had to deal with crap regularly.

the problem is that in the past and still currently women get passed on for promotions or get paid less for the same quality of work in the same position. and language can perpetuate that, unfortunately. the issue i have is people give "words' too much power. from what we are talking about the guy did not have ill intent with the comment, and said it in bad taste/bad joke. that man was also probably born around WWII and came from a different generation.

So i promise i understand what you are saying. Perhaps if we could agree though that the world is complicated and policing of every verbal mistake someone makes can in fact lead to an overly boring social setting. or perhaps i am wrong and you should never Never make a joke at anyone's expense at any point especially a women's.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, she's a full blown psychopath. Social Services should take her kids away.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The part I bolded below perfectly articulates my problem with moderates who continue to shrug off or explain away the dangers being threatened by the GOP. They’re giving these maniacs (and their voters) the benefit of the doubt when we’re long past that.

Obviously not every Republican is as cray-cray-crazy as MTG, but when it comes to how they’ve dealt with Jan 6, how they’ve defended all the GOP voting restriction bills and more recently how they voted Cheney out of the leadership, they’re in 100% alignment. Do any moderates really trust that any of these same GOP politicians will stand up for democracy the next time it’s politically inconvenient? And when (not if) they don’t, do any moderates believe the GOP voters will hold them accountable?

Over the long term, I think the best defense against GOP nuttery is calling it out in real time when it’s espoused by our immediate friends and family. I recently called out (during a text conversation) a conservative friend of mine over some racist things he said. It was very uncomfortable at points, and I found myself wondering if we could remain friends. I believe we can, but I’m not going to shy away from telling him when he says or does something bigoted. To some extent, we have to stand up and argue back ourselves against the falsehoods that are becoming the talking points of conservatives - we can’t expect the politicians to do it for us.

https://stoehr.substack.com/p/for-the-gop-terrorism-is-an-option?fbclid=IwAR2TlcTsq3QnfObXbvgo7QspfhGDa8nuXs3LSiUtyOLKwAg4j5ntTjwEdBU

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the bolded part is key. In a private setting, Fox could have responded directly to Imhofe herself however she might choose.

But in a hearing, she has to sit and take it and even smile, lest she risk her own confirmation by calling out and potentially humiliating Imhofe publicly for his condescension (frankly I found the “behave” part more condescending that the “tell your daddy” part).

So to some extent, this “word policing” is the press speaking up when the setting made it impossible for Fox to do so. For anyone to piss on the press for doing so seems rather silly and missing the big picture. Imhofe has a history of saying dumb **** (he’s Senator “Snowball” in case you’ve forgotten) and that combined with his voting record show a man who’s living in the 19th century. So anytime he provided another example of backwards behavior, it’s going to make the news because he’s one of 2 Senators for millions f people.

BTW,My father is only a few years younger than him, but never spoke to my mother or his female colleagues at work that way (they all said as much at his retirement). Acting respectfully is not a new concept and my father has definitely integrated many of the social changes that have occurred in his 80+ years.

If we ever get to a point where every poor choice of word in every setting is called out, I’ll agree with you that we’re on our way to a boring world. But we’re not at that point - not even close.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ahh yes. Senator snowball. I didn’t know I disliked this man already.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remember, Liz Cheney is the problem with this party

- @Os Trigonum

9. NewRoxFan

dementia donald...

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what point they are trying to make there. Anyone who sleeps less than 5 hours a night on a regular basis has some type of issues. That's just not healthy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. H.D.

H.D. Member

MAGA "Family Values," cocaine and whores who are not your fiance' being paid by the taxpayers to suck your tiny Republican dick

Andre0087, B-Bob and seemoreroyals like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you man splaining to me?

I am not saying what he did was ok, I am saying it did not rise to the level of a twitter headline by CNN.

It was definitely feeding the outrage mob.

So what happens now?

People get upset and nothing changes and we take our eyes off the really important things.

What was the point of CNN doing this?

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

See this is what I was talking about CNN did not even include the fact that she was talking about her father earlier in the hearing.

It was definitely in poor taste and should not have been said but for CNN to use this as twitter headline shows what they were going for.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is shrugging off or explaining away the dangers of being threatened by the GOP?

What "moderates" are you talking about can you give examples?

I don't know any "moderates" that have tried to explain away MTG.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

But what distinguishes this woman, Megan Zalonka, is that she turned her relationship with Greenberg into a taxpayer-funded no-show job that earned her an estimated $7,000 to $17,500, according to three sources and corresponding government records obtained by The Daily Beast.

On Oct. 26, 2019, Gaetz attended the “Trump Defender Gala” fundraiser as the featured speaker at the Westgate Lake Resort in Orlando. Two witnesses present recalled friends reconvening at Gaetz’s hotel room for an after-party, where Zalonka prepared lines of cocaine on the bathroom counter. One of those witnesses distinctly remembers Zalonka pulling the drugs out of her makeup bag, rolling a bill of cash, and joining Gaetz in snorting the cocaine.
    Maybe he was the only one who paid attention to the party theme and dressed up accordingly.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-blam...ling-attacks-pence-pathetic-mcconnell-1591853

Former President Donald Trump released a statement Saturday claiming 2020 election polling suppressed voters and attacking both former Vice President Mike Pence and GOP Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Trump continues to push baseless claims about the 2020 election, alleging that Democrats and President Joe Biden "rigged" votes despite a lack of substantiating evidence. In the Saturday statement, forwarded to Newsweek by Trump adviser Jason Miller, Trump took aim at polling ahead of the election that projected Biden winning by a larger margin of votes than he ultimately received. Trump also slammed Pence for a lack of "courage" to help overturn the election results and McConnell for being "weak and pathetic."

"The public opinion surveys ahead of the 2020 Presidential Election were the most inaccurate ever, according to a major polling panel. This was done purposely. The polls were a joke," Trump stated, claiming that he "won States in a landslide" that he was predicted to lose ahead of the election. Although some polling did inaccurately project that Biden could win in states that Trump ultimately carried, the final vote counts were generally relatively close with Biden trailing by just a few points.

18. Buck Turgidson

19. NewRoxFan

Interesting that you make an accusation of "mansplaining" in a discussion about a sitting senator making an inappropriate (at the very least) and even offensive sexist comment to a cabinet nominee during her senate confirmation hearing. btw, I didn't know you are female... which makes your willingness to shrug off the senator's statement even more interesting.

Also interesting you use a term "outrage mob" in defense of your position that the senator's statement didn't rise to the level of a (CNN) reporters tweet.

btw, I don't think there is a limit to the things people can be offended by. If elected officials say and do offensive things I think its the job of the press to report on it. We consumers of news can then decide for ourselves whether its important and how important. Once you allow people in positions of power to say and do things then there is no accountability. And we get people like donald trump in positions of power.

The point of CNN reporting on it? Either you think the senator was wrong to say it or not. The CNN reporter thought it was wrong, and reported it. Hopefully the senator was embarrassed and doesn't do it again. Maybe even called and apologized to her. And hopefully other senators learn from it and don't say or do similar things. If so... then the tweet effected change. If not, well, perhaps the next time something similar happens and is reported change happens.

And... what you do with it is based on your own values.

btw, your argument is made every time there is a mass shooting. "People get upset and nothing changes". Should reporters quit reporting on those?

subtomic likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

A GQP congresswoman breaking the law... not newsworthy?

deb4rockets likes this.