1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ITT: Post as if it's June 23rd and the Rockets just gave the 5th pick to OKC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 12, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Chris Paul himself said it went downhill once we lost Ariza. I think he is right. Paul was a critical #2 but not replacing Moute or Ariza haunted the team for years. James Ennis? Iman Shumpert? Danuel House? Lol. No. We should have stuck to the team template we had in 2018 which was a proven way to maximize Harden. Trading Paul for Westbrook was doubling down on stupid and trading Capela for the wing we needed was too late and a step off the cliff.

#61 napalm06, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is why we should have just run it back and traded westbrook and harden next year where we would have kept our pick.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

But everyone told me John Wall was better than Westbrook.......

TheRealist137 likes this.
  4. napalm06

Unfortunately Tilman pissed off Morey and Dantoni which in turn pissed off Harden and Westbrook. Harden was done after game 2 of that Lakers series.

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Ariza was not good the year after he left the rockets.

7. napalm06

I said "replacing Ariza" :cool:

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

It would be devastating to have the worst record in the league and end up with like the 19th pick. **** Morey, Fertitta, Harden, and whoever else signed off on that dumbass trade.

TheRealist137 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thanks Fertits!

BamBam likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I fear that Silver will hand over the Number 1 pick to OKC so they can select Cade Cunningham from Oklahoma State. I know it's irrational, but this is the first time I came up with this horrible thought.
    He hated James Harden on the Rockets.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

This is fine by me. It doesn't matter where you pick, what matters is who you pick and what you do with him....ie are you able to nourish and develop or at least not stand in his way

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's always darkest just before it goes totally black.

— John McCain (fake-quoting Chairman Mao)

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

whew, almost had to pay cade millions

if tillmen excite, then i excite

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who you pick is greatly determined by who is available to be picked.

saleem likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I said many times that I thought it was a no brainer to bring Ariza back because his bird rights were the only financial mechanism the team had to maintain the talent level , it was Ariza or minimum's.

When Morey made the statement that Ariza wouldn't be brought back I was in complete shock .... That I was the first of the very un-Morey-like decisions that were attributed to "Luxury Tax Savings".

After that was the whole long process of dumping Ryno's contract that culminated with Shumpert expiring for nothing. That cost the team Melton , 2 2nd round picks & a first round pick and the cap space above the cap that they cold have used to improve with.

I'm hoping that Ferntits has learned his lesson .... Can't be a cheap ass when you are close and not to meddle in personnel decisions.

It wasn't the player or his performance , it was the financial vehicle his bird rights represented. Without that , you were relegated to veteran minimum contracts. With Ariza's contract , you had the financial ability to move salary & acquire talent as a result.
    Ariza signed with PHX for $15m for one season , he probably would have stuck around with the Rockets for less than that.
    They traded Ariza for Oubre & Austin Rivers ....and Oubre was part of what eventually got them CP3.

napalm06, saleem and ashleyem like this.
  17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Obviously it could be Tilman’s decision to not re-sign Ariza but I thought it could also be bad judgement on Morey’s part. Even before Tilman, Morey had a tendency of overvaluing flexibility and refuse to commit to non-star players long term (e.g. Dragic and Parsons). I think he genuinely thought Ennis and Melo were going to replicate the production of Ariza. I remember he was so giddy about the addition of Ennis.

#77 ashleyem, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

technically true but the draft history teaches us you can always pick better with a later pick if you know your stuff...KNOW YOUR STUFF...losing on purpose is not a replacement for doing your homework and its pathetic...

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Say what you want about Tilman but Morey genuinely thought Ennis was going to be a good addition.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Westbrook didn't want to stay in Houston even with Harden. He is getting his triple doubles but he isn't good for a rebuilding team.
    Wall started off quite nicely with Harden, but he completely imploded after James got traded to the Nets. That hurts us a lot, I admit.