1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell to retire after last home game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 11, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't disagree more. POC love Bill Worrell like they love Bill Clinton. Kissing all the black babies errrywhere. Calvin will tell you straight up that Bill is certified OG long balls.

2. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I hope they let Bill and Calvin do the last Rockets home game together.

xiki likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ditto, but I am worried that Calvin is presenting Rudy T and may be out of town.

DD

4. conquistador#11

Cold blooded announcement. No more posts about Bill Worrell and their moms.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I remember watching a sports segment when I was a kid and Bill wanted to make the point that Moses was a special player and we were lucky to have him in Houston. He ran a series of highlights to "Rubberband Man" by The Spinners. To this day, I associate that song with Moses and Moses with that song.

Hey ya'll prepare yourself for the Rubberband Man
    You've never heard a sound
    Like the Rubberband Man
    You're bound to lose control
    When the Rubberband starts to jam
    Oh boy, this dude is outta sight!
    Everything he does seems to come out right

[​IMG]

xiki, deb4rockets, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hey - obviously he is still friends of the fam - not trying to imply he isn't...but what I'm saying is it's hard for fans to relate to him because he is using slang 20+yrs old at this point. It's just awkward from the perspective of a young basketball fan.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I don't have any love for any NBA player, I am a fan of the game in general and the Rockets. I am whatever about Harden now that he is gone I wish him the best, but at the same time don't want him to win lol. I just have not changed the handle, not even sure how.

It isn't so much about the poll, it is just very cringe listening to the guy. Instead of describing the play and using adjectives in an exciting tone, he just says HOOOOOOO! and you can tell he is trying to think of something cool to say, but he is just too slow and the play is over. The Harden call on his 60 point triple double was very awkward if you watch it. He always slips in some random extra words that do not need to be in there. Like how he described a first round pick as being a number one pick. He only knew certain random facts about players, like Dwight and Josh Smith playing on the same AAU team, or how so and so's "daddy use to play in the league", he would just lazily repeat the same facts he knew over and over again, never really cared to keep up with the game or players.

Bill Worrell on 60 Point Triple Double: "James Harden...GOOOOOOUGHHHGHHH!! (awkward sounds as usual) , James Harden is the new scoring..one game champion of the Houston Rockets!"

This is him every memorable play since he's been employed, uber cringe in my opinion. You notice that no player has ever shouted out Bill Worrell or the broadcast team and there is no playful intereaction between them even though they see each other every game and travel together, it is because all of their highlights are a complete joke thanks to him. Giannis took the time to have a heart felt interview with Jim Paschke since he is retiring at the end of the season, you will not see Harden or any other player do the same.

#147 BallSoHarden, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  8. riko

riko Member

The voice I grew up with and it will be sad without him. Craig is going to do a great job

xiki, mightybosstone and desihooper like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wasn't that Cedric Maxwell's nickname? He was more known as "Cornbread", but what was the relationship between "The Rubberband Man" and Moses? Or was that just some random song used for the segment?

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman Ferntits sighting

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wow, he just presented Bill with a 20% off coupon for Joe’s Crab Shack.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bill is going to be furious to find out it expired 2 months ago

saleem, xiki and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gene and Jim are gone, now Bill, I miss them all......but time marches on.

DD

saleem, DCkid and xiki like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks, Bill.

He’s been the voice of my team for pretty much my entire life. We moved to Houston in 1980 and I just don’t remember a Rockets game without Bill Worrell at the mic. He and Gene are the basketball voices in my head when I think about the great times of Rockets basketball.

saleem, DCkid, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did the smart thing, he retired when he was still good at what he did so he'll be missed. Milo Hamilton stuck around about 5 years too long and there was almost a feeling of "Well, it's about damn time" when he finally hung them up.

Rockets broadcasts won't be the same without him.

saleem and DCkid like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

His high-pitched voice during clutch shots and honest criticism of players on some stupid plays is something I am going to immensely miss from Rockets broadcasting. Bill/Calvin combo were probably the best years of Rockets broadcasting.

Der Rabbi, saleem, DVauthrin and 2 others like this.