1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/MacMahon] "Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta excited about future of the NBA franchise"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2021.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"I can tell you this: I'm going to be patient," Fertitta said. "I know my basketball guys know what they're doing. We're not going to go do something stupid to try to get into the playoffs next year that then will prevent us from competing for a championship in a couple years. I'm the lucky person that gets to be the steward of the team for the city of Houston and the millions of people that live here, and my goal is to compete for a championship as many years as possible.

[​IMG]

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

First

The Fertitta-McNair School of Management approves this message

However, honestly this might be the smartest thing Tilman has said so far:

We're not going to go do something stupid to try to get into the playoffs next year that then will prevent us from competing for a championship in a couple years.

The rest is just vapid "please preserve my asset valuation" speak

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

6. JW86

JW86 Member

When has he ever said he wasn't happy about something? It's all just fluff. Prior to this season and even when everyone recognised trouble coming, he held on for dear life and tried to keep Harden and be competitive. I'm not buying it.

amaru, D-rock, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Love it

Highlyrated likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He may have lost Harden, but he didn't lose his franchise player, LTS.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Did he really say this ****? Wow, way to be optimistic!

HP3 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Thank goodness LTS has never asked for a max contract, otherwise, he'd be out the door too.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans will celebrate when Ferntits wins the O'Brien trophy

old people dancing.gif

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've been begging this team to tank for over 15 years.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bill Simmons.

Jontro, vince, PhilCollins and 9 others like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

April fools? The onion? Is this real?

"I know my basketball guys know what they're doing. We're not going to go do something stupid to try to get into the playoffs ..."

I don't know if an owner has been so blatant to say that he's happy his team sucked(without even getting a pick yet) and expect more of the same for next year.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Bitter guy is mad that the Celtics are stuck now in mediocre town after all of the picks they had and no true and clear top 10 player on the team. Too bad sir. Now let’s see what the Brooklyn picks get the rockets in the coming years.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Celtics have 2 of the best young stars in the league. Their future is easily better than the rockets and for a very long time. Oh and Boston has Ainge. While the rockets have well, an idiot

Wulaw Horn, D-rock, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can't fire Patty Fertitty

110% ENTHUSED

19. DonatelloLimestone

Yea hes often said the right thing.
    He's gone on about some mall amount of one year luxury tax wouldn't stop him from spending since a championship is the goal.
    He has said all sorts of contradictory things about letting morey do what morey does and knowing where he isn't an expert.
    None of them have held up, it is quite remarkable the amount he lies, teh amount he volunteers to goto press.

He has gone on and said we accidentally got out of the luxury tax, doesn't know why morey jumped loopholes and traded a pick that made 0 basketball sense.

He released an avalanche on Harden being this terrible franchise guy, then to only offer him 100 million to stay.

Basically he has a history of throwing anyone under the bus, lying when he can to anyone who will listen to save his own ass..He calls this being a shark. I wish he would just stay out of the media, shut up and listen. Let his actions show us he has learned, then go on tv and do whatever the hell he wants. Last thing we want is to have our conversation of direction of the franchise dominated by the idiot owner like it has been.

""I never thought I could feel this good after winning only 16 games," Fertitta told ESPN,"
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, because we need hope, he ate some Landry's mediocre humble pie, and stops treating the rockets like he does his restaurant business. Heres to hope. Go rockets

#19 DonatelloLimestone, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    burlesk, sushimaster, fryjol7 and 6 others like this.
  20. DonatelloLimestone

"It could be 2027 that we get a top-five pick that ends up being the next greatest player," Fertitta said. "We don't know, but my people have shown all they've done so far is made the right decision, and I'm proud of all of them. I'm proud of the basketball ops people and I'm proud of Silas, because they keep showing me they're doing the right things."

Fertitta does not have a firm timetable in mind for the Rockets' return to the playoffs. Their trajectory is difficult to project in part due to the draft compensation owed to the Oklahoma City Thunder from the Westbrook trade, when Houston gave up Chris Paul, 2024 and 2026 first-round picks, and swap rights this year and in 2025. The first-round picks and this year's swap rights are top-four-protected."

So more punting, more keep paying as I may raise prices, but don't worry, 2027 we may get a top 5. So whose going to rebuild better if they start over, us or brooklyn? One franchise has new facilities, hip new branding, an owner who says heres the blank check to build what you want, another franchise in a great city, but a new owner that has led every veteran both in players and front office to want out, lied publicly and blamed anyone on the team to save himself, and is notorious for being cheap to the point its been a laughing stock. Hes also hired only rookie Front offices, can't even do what clippers and warriors did which was even pay someoen with a steady hand like JErry west to come in and at least watch over things, nah we got Patrick.
    He loves what Silas is doing? lets see how long silas stays after his four years of rebuilding, he was dealt a terrible first card with this owner and remember Tilman cheaped out before the pandemic with a contending team, now we're rebuilding, he is in worse shape bc not only did he buy in the peak of nba prices with the most over leveraged owner, he also was hit among the hardest in the pandemic to the point where he had to embrassingly ask the president to reclassify help meant for small business so he can get it for bad PR and take out and sell more bonds at a high desperate interest rate.

I take what this guy says with a grain of salt bc the reality show guy never stops talking, never stops selling.
    Let your actions do it when we're this at the bottom of the barrel, you are not pacifying anyone whose seen you're track record.

burlesk, Wulaw Horn and D-rock like this.