1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think you answered your own question.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did I?

If I were the Eagles, why would I offer 3 first round picks now? A lot can change in a year including the possibility that Hurts ends up being a successful starting QB, which would save the Eagles a lot more money than what Watson is owed. It’s not like these picks expire prior to the start of the year (and one pick is entirely conditional at this point).

And if I’m the Texans, even if your only bidder is willing to somehow fork over 3 first round picks now... what’s the harm in waiting? Watson isn’t going to be playing for them any time soon and his value can only go up... unless more criminal stuff comes out against him.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What the hell is ESPNupstate?

3Rings, BigShasta and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Part of the settlement will be to say “there is no settlement...”

mikol13, sammy and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. gucci888

Not saying the Eagles will or should but like you said, DW4’s value only goes up from here (assuming no criminal charges). So if they want in on DW4, maybe better attempting to get in before jumping into an all out bidding war. Not saying this is the case, but there is some rationale there IMO.

For the Texans, there are a lot of unknowns at play and think there is some value in cutting ties sooner rather than later. Could a criminal case be filed
    later down the road? Will other stories come out? Will he show up for camp? Does he play well if he does? Injury risk?

As a big critic of this franchise, I would have no qualms if they traded DW4 for 3 first round picks tomorrow. It isn’t the haul I originally hoped we’d get, no but then again I’m not sure that is obtainable whether now or this time next year.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cue rimjob errrrr.... rimshot!

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Eagles front office should be asking all these same questions... while also having a young QB already in the fold. And the Eagles would have overall less info on all these possibilities than the Texans have currently.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. gucci888

Yes they should as will all of the potential suitors. But don’t think that is going to stop teams from making a run at him, whether now or next year.

As with Hurts, their new coach wouldn’t even pencil him in as a starter (although could just be coaching tactics). But lets face it, DW4 completely changes the trajectory of any team he goes to. If the valuation and opportunity is there, I don’t see a lot of teams opting for Hurts over DW4, even with the price tag he comes with.

Nick likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thus in that case, the Texans should wait till there are more possible teams willing to make a run at him. They have him under full control over the next 4 years where barring health, his value should not depreciate over the next year/off-season. There isn't a "deadline" on when they can or should trade him.

Trading him now, when his value is at its lowest due to the unknowns... and the number of suitors is at its lowest... would be a very Texans-like move.

12. gucci888

Agreed although there is the injury risk should he decide to play. To me, 3 firsts is a decent haul given the circumstances and it also gives the Texans the opportunity to fully "reset" without any further distractions from this off-season's $hitshow. But then again Texans would somehow find to manifest another one I'm sure.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  13. raining threes

Caserio will be lucky to get two 1st rd picks for Watson.

14. raining threes

At the end of rehab the entire class will be required to give him the Oily Watson.

El_Conquistador likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just to be clear, Peter King doesn't have a source saying the Eagles are willing to part with 3 firsts... and also isn't it still an unknown that they'll have 3 firsts as one of them is conditional on whether Wentz starts/plays the season?

They'll still have 3 possible firsts next off-season. And if the Texans are concerned about Watson's possible injury risk impacting his trade value, who says they have to play him (also presuming he's suspended for most of the meaningful year as is).

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Eagles could throw Hurts into a package for Watson (Hurts comes home).

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hard Pass do not want in regards to hurts

3Rings likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'll take him as a throw in. Why not? If it's just filler to go with a bunch more I'm good with that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. gucci888

Right. Just dealing with the hypothetical question on why the Eagles would make an offer now vs. later. As for the injury aspect, voluntarily benching DW4 for the year would single-handedly be the biggest story/controversy/distraction for the franchise and possibly the league IMO. Not so much if he is suspended like you said. But if he isn't, we are talking about some uncharted territory that the Texans may not want to get themselves into.

Not saying the Texans should trade DW4 the first shot they get, but wouldn't be all that mad if they jumped on that hypothetical offer from the Eagles. Yes it's possible they could squeeze more out if they wait, but there is also a bit of risk in holding out which is pretty much what we're are dealing with at the moment (although the causation was unforeseeable).

#2679 gucci888, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what could make the situation "worse"... in the end, they're still paying him to be on the roster, but protecting him against possible injury. Plus he's already made it known he doesn't want to be a part of this team (regardless of true reasons behind that), so why would he also want to risk it? The only detractor from his abilities/value right now is the lawsuits, and I'm presuming by that point its all settled.

Agreed, although I don't think the risk of waiting is as back-fire-ish as possible. We already saw them get backlash for not trading him before this stuff was leaked when his value was "highest" (albeit they were probably holding on to a slim hope that once training camp rolled around, he'd change his mind). If his mind is still made up, I don't see his value going down... and as been said, there will be more potential suitors.