1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Movie] The Green Knight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 11, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I have no ****ing clue what is happening here, but I'm intrigued. Knight Groot, how fun.

DreamShook and B-Bob like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

My gut tells me this movie isn't quite ready to live up to it's potential. The round table and the giants looked good, but the actors looked second tier. So it's a mixed bag for me. Not sure what the plot is, but the trailer's plot is no different than your typical hero story, except for the king and queen asking for a tale instead of walking into one.

Entropy likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Slumdog Millionaire sequel?? Looks good

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ever read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in high school?

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Kind of reminds me of The Immortals. Amazing art and design in a legendary fantasy setting.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

finally a hero that is environmentally conscious

8. Buck Turgidson

I assumed everyone had to read that? And Beowulf? And Chaucer? And Shakespeare?

Entropy likes this.
  9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sure didn't.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched it this past weekend, visually striking film that moves at a very slow pace. The story is more of a deconstruction of the original tale, it's heady and downright strange at time but a solid watch if you are in the mood to watch a movie that makes you think Fits right in with Boorman's Excalibur...

A-

Xerobull likes this.
  11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife and I saw this over the weekend as well. I would say overall I enjoyed it. Part of why we decided to give it a go is because it looked so unusual. Not your typical Hollywood fare. It definitely lived up to that. My wife complained a little because she had trouble understanding some of the dialogue. I didn't have as much trouble with that although I did miss probably 60-70% of what the fox said, though that was a brief scene.

Really enjoyed how the movie ended. Had they not stuck the landing, it would have felt like a weird mish-mash of tales and side-quests, but it all pulled together at the end, for the most part. I'd give the movie a solid B+.

TimDuncanDonaut and GRENDEL like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. JW86

JW86 Member

3/10 - WARNING, some spoilers

Sorry but I wouldn't even call this a movie. It just drags out every scene like it’s trying to make a point - which it doesn't - and the first hour is excruciatingly dull. Aside from the Christmas game - lol - that leads the main character played by Dev Patel on an adventure, we get very little background information and not nearly enough to connect to the people, their culture, ways etc.

Dev is a great actor but they gave him nothing. He has no personality aside from being a bit of a coward when it comes to love and fighting - read afterwards the point of this story is to give a personal account of a knight who is flawed and not like they're usually portrayed so in that sense I can respect the idea, but the execution is subpar.

I guess Dev's character wanted to prove himself as he chops off the head of a walking tree that talks. He gets one year and then the favour will be returned. So the rest of the first 70-75 minutes is his journey to the tree. After he finally arives, we experience a journey of roughly 45 minutes that is all in his head only to end up actually getting his head chopped off. The End.

I cannot believe this film was made with this script, this little body in terms of character development, plot, story arch. It’s a 30 minute short film stretched out over 2 hours! And while I like phantasy and mystery, this ironically has very little of both and no creativity to truly make it come alive. It relied on cheap music and cheap visions instead. I suppose for people familiar with the story who can appreciate elongated scenes of I guess you could call it suspense and find the message inspiring, there is maybe a few scenes that Dev managed to save, but overall: rubbish.

Easily top 10 worst movies with top notch acting talent, so please save yourselves!! I was lucky I didn’t go to the theater and could fast forward through a part of it.

#13 JW86, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021