1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He should be disqualified for simply using the term pungent redolence.

Talk abou a blow hard.

That last paragraph is just a jumble of words arguing against nothing anybody else is saying.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

interesting (not ironic) considering McWhorter is a black, liberal linguistics professor, who admittedly has a separate career writing hyper-contrarian opinions on black issues in both overtly conservative (Manhattan Institute) and conventionally liberal (The Atlantic) publications.

jiggyfly, Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You obviously never heard of "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"

If you want to pretend systematic racism doesn't exist that's fine, but I am surprised that you would post anything asserting that.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your comments hear demonstrate you don't even know what systematic racism means

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

An example of so called systemic racism. Every cop shooting we hear about how police departments have policies that target minorities

What the media doesn't admit is black men are overwhelmingly represented in the criminal justice system

So I've just proven I know what supposed systemic racism is and I've addressed why it's a myth

All you did in your post is talk ****

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If the BLM movement could address black on black crime then I'd agree we're making progress. We have a loooong ways to go...

pgabriel likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What adjective would you use for the obvious and well-documented practice of redlining, for instance?

If you don't like "systemic," that's okay. But I hope you can see why people would use "systemic" to describe redlining. The adjective denotes that it's not just a couple of "good old boys" being "racists," but instead a more codified practice at work, one that people cease to question once it becomes the norm.

Cheers.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Your example of systematic racism isn't systematic racism, just racism. Systematic racism refers to the structure of institutions versus the actions of individuals or groups. An example of systematic racism would be to police loitering in lower income neighborhoods differently than it is in high income neighborhoods at a system level.

Or more money going to upper class schools than lower class ones. Or the quality of teachers and teacher to student ratio. etc etc.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My isn't is referring to policies you mention like stop and frisk? Stop being argumentative. I specifically said"policies". So arrogant. Don't have time today.

#350 pgabriel, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Red lining is soooo seventies. Don't show your age like that again

You're proving my point about living in the past

12. B-Bob

dont tell me what to do. The only thing I’ve proven is the pointlessness of engaging you. Bye.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

stop and frisk isn't an example of systemic racism, it's just an example of racism. You are trying to argue against something you don't understand - and when called out you get angry and start attacking.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Stop and frisk is what you described in an actual policy. Because Jim Crow was actual racist policy it wasn't systemic?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Jim Crow laws are certainly an example of systemic racism.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

Gonna address your stupidity seriously. Racist policies are results of systemic racism. There is culture and there is practice/practicality

You're separating them to win an argument

18. B-Bob

Anyway, replying to my own polite if misguided attempt at honest communication here, for anyone actually interested in modern-day redlining data, just check out this 2018 detailed study regarding lending:
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modern-day-redlining-20180215-story.html

"Fifty years after the federal Fair Housing Act banned racial discrimination in lending, African Americans and Latinos continue to be routinely denied conventional mortgage loans at rates far higher than their white counterparts.

This modern-day redlining persisted in 61 metro areas even when controlling for applicants' income, loan amount and neighborhood, according to millions of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act records analyzed by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting.

The yearlong analysis, based on 31 million records, relied on techniques used by leading academics, the Federal Reserve and Department of Justice to identify lending disparities.

It found a pattern of troubling denials for people of color across the country, including in major metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Detroit, Philadelphia, Rockford, Ill., St. Louis and San Antonio. African Americans faced the most resistance in Southern cities - Mobile, Alabama; Greenville, North Carolina; and Gainesville, Florida - and Latinos in Iowa City, Iowa.

No matter their location, loan applicants told similar stories, describing an uphill battle with loan officers who they said seemed to be fishing for a reason to say no.

Redlining has been outlawed for half a century. And for the last 40 years, banks have had a legal obligation under the Community Reinvestment Act to solicit clients - borrowers and depositors - from all segments of their communities.

But in many places, Reveal found the law hasn't made much difference.

The analysis - independently reviewed and confirmed by The Associated Press - showed black applicants were turned away at significantly higher rates than whites in 48 cities...
    "

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Fuq you and your honest attempt first of all. The reason you responded is I gave you an honest response and therefore you felt compelled to respond. Don't need your arrogant condescension.

Now more honesty are those numbers backed by credit scores? Did applicants of different races have the same scores?

More honesty, one day Hispanics are gonna say stop linking us to black misery. They don't have Hispanic Lives Matter. Our home ownership numbers stalled in the seventies. Theirs increase every year.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think Redlining ended in the 70's?

LOL.

London'sBurning likes this.