1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell to retire after last home game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 11, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

shame his last season was having to witness this abomination

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I’ll always hear Gene Peterson’s voice when I think of the Rockets games of my childhood, but Bill Worrell’s voice is there for many great moments too. My favorite:

I just wish he could’ve ended in a season that wasn’t possibly the worst in franchise history. He’s a Houston legend. The most pure Houstonian we’ve possibly ever had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

**** man.....he is going out on a shitty season. Thanks Fern t***!

topfive and HP3 like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like CA too but his vibe is very Dad Joke. Bill is funny when he doesn't know he's being funny.

Bill will be missed.

5. Rockets34Legend

The Rockets should end the season having Bill and Calvin calling the last game.

Der Rabbi, Duke Fan, Deckard and 12 others like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I feel like the only reason he stuck around was to call Harden's chip. Long story short...

I wish they had paired him with Murph for pre/halftime/post game presentations years ago. Would've been the easy way to let him continue on as a HR broadcast icon instead of letting his play-by-play ability slip so far. I hope they are able to get him to show up and be old for public events and such. Introduce Dream whenever he's around, that sort of thing.

Salute.

TimDuncanDonaut, topfive and HP3 like this.
  7. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Wow. The Ferntits boys will come out and defend 24/7.

Deckard and topfive like this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Objectively he's been a bad broadcaster for years, but dammit he was our bad broadcaster. This man has been calling Rockets basketball longer than many members of this forum have been alive. Man bleeds Rockets basketball and I'm sure he's even more disgusted with what's happened over the last few years than we are.

Hate that it's ending with this, the Rockets Ship of Theseus makeover continues.

AXG, HP3, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It would be fair if this is how it ends. They better not pull anything stupid. Let Bill and Calvin have one last hurrah. Only proper way for Bill to retire.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill was never on Gene Peterson's level but he was pretty good as well as a legendary part of the Rocket's history too. I met Bill a couple of times years ago. He was humble, friendly and approachable. I will miss him but feel like Ackerman will continue to do a great job too.

Thanks for the memories Bill.

11. Aware

Aware Member

icon

DCkid likes this.
  12. Damion Laverne

Bill was our guy, and he will sorely be missed. Loved his passion for the franchise.

It's such a shame that his last year had to be filled with BS.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this

HP3 likes this.
  14. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Any word on his replacement? Would love to have ackerman on home games. Hes quite good at it

DCkid likes this.
  15. gogispade

gogispade Member

You really can tell that the whole organization is going to hell when even the broadcast crew starts abandoning you.

16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I'm not defending anyone, if you have any evidence of this being Tilman's doing, I'd happily agree with you.

But in the meantime, I'm grateful Bill Worrell has kept working as long he has but I don't think his retirement comes as a surprise.

People on here get carried away with the Blame So-and-So circlejerk and it is pretty annoying, seeing people immediately shoehorn every topic into one particular narrative du jour.

If I'm a Fertits Boy or whatever for not being as deranged as you about it, well then I simply don't give a ****

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I agree with you, Gene Peterson was at a different level. Posted the vid to let the people who didn’t get to hear him, hear his voice...

When Murphy/Worrell were together though, that was golden!! Thanks for the memories Bill!

Deckard, Killatron 2000 and calurker like this.
  18. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Can we please have a Calvin and Bill reunion for that last game?!? Someone please get a petition up and running.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

PURE
    20 VISION

20. Rockets34Legend

Gene and Jim were #1, but Bill and Calvin come close and no one else will in years to come -

[​IMG]