1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 5/28/2018 (Western Conference Finals, Game 7)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 27, 2018.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Imagine how depressing this season would be if it turns out Harden gets robbed of the MVP again

BigShasta and Tfor3 like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even if they "give" it to him this time, he shouldn't even attend their stupid fuking cereMONEY anyways. let these crooked match fixing whores go to hell.

slothy420, Jake Tower and Tfor3 like this.
  3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

We’re all bummed, losing hurts but i hope our guys can step away and return able to learn from it all. That growth would be everything for next year, as long as someone leaves the window open.

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Gotta admit, they did better than I thought they would so that was a plus.
    Good job.

vlaurelio and BMoney like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

It would be awesome, couldnt care less about MVP award

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ill-Worrell-returning-to-Rockets-12957531.php

In Jeff Van Gundy World, the Rockets-Warriors faceoff would have been reserved for the NBA Finals.

During a conference call to advance Cavaliers-Warriors IV: A New Hope, in the NBA Finals on ABC, the former Rockets coach said he believes that while conferences should be retained for travel purposes, the NBA should seed teams 1 through 16, regardless of conference, for the playoffs.

"We're all going to try to paint a picture of there's a chance that Cleveland could win, and when you get to the Finals, that's really, really hard to picture in your own mind how a team could win; it's a letdown," he said. "To me, Houston wasn't just one half away from advancing to the Finals. They were one half away from winning a championship."

As for the Game 7 outcome, Van Gundy noted that the Rockets were faced with having to overcome not only Chris Paul's absence due to injury but poor 3-point shooting and "having a couple blatant 3-point shooting calls missed in the first half" by officials.

"They have a lot to be proud of and certainly put themselves in position to have an extremely bright future moving forward," added fellow analyst Mark Jackson. "It's awfully tough to beat the Golden State Warriors. They are champions for a reason. They have no quit. I think it's more of a testament to who they are, as opposed to anything negative to say about the Houston Rockets."

Van Gundy also was asked to compare the Rockets' 3-point woes in Game 7, in which they missed 27 consecutive attempts from deep, to John Starks' collapse in 1994, when Van Gundy was an assistant to Pat Riley with the Knicks, during Game 7 of the NBA Finals against the Rockets.

"You read a lot after the fact where critics say, well, the 3 wasn't going, do something else," Van Gundy said. "But to me, the player has to play to his strengths and play his game and play his role, and it's up to the coach, if he feels the misses are impacting your team negatively and he has a better option, it's his job to substitute."

He added, "I always admired how John (Starks) handled it head-on, didn't run from it. As assistant coach and teammates, we never regretted coach Riley's decision to leave him in because to this day, I still believe that gave us our best chance to win."

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Anyone still not over it? Damn man they lost that game, I know the refs took them out of it but they have been victims of poor officiating before and didn’t shoot that badly...

Harden got fouled on those shots sure and that record wouldn’t have been a thing, but they just had to make a few shots to keep the lead.

Rockets always know how to have the most heartbreaking losses, primarily ones where they give up a lead and don’t make adjustments...

8. TheresTheDagger

Honestly, this is the 3rd playoff series in my "fandom" with the Rockets where officials were the difference.

1993 vs. Sonics
    2005 vs. Mavericks
    2018 vs. Warriors

3 strikes, I'm out. I can take a bad call here and there knowing they even out. I REFUSE to stand for whatever Monday night's game was. That was something more than just a bad call here and there....

dragonwill likes this.
  9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

@TheresTheDagger i agree however I also notice that some refs know when players are actually trying to draw the foul instead of trying to make the shot or a real play. They understand James isn’t only trying to get fouled on the shot but also trying to get into the bonus and the league believes no one paid to watch that.

It’s kind of ridiculous I understand but what frustrates more is the fact that James doesn’t notice it and stop, he gets into I’m gonna force them to make the call mindset. You will lose almost everytime playing that game.

How many threes does a team have to miss consecutively to start changing it up? Not until like the last minute did Harden go to his mid range.
    You won’t get a more winnable game then that, they didn’t help themselves.

10. TheresTheDagger

Appreciate your perspective, but disagree to this degree.

The NBA has an official rulebook. I understand that much of the rules are subject to "interpretation", but when a player uses those rules to get an advantage he (and his team) shouldn't be punished. I think the NBA addressed this with regards to Harden in the last off season and it STILL wasn't good enough for officials...at least on Monday night.

I thought the idea of trying to create rules to punish Harden was ridiculous in the first place, so I have zero sympathy for the officials or the NBA in this instance. I'd prefer they just ban Harden from the league outright rather than do this silly "rules manipulation" in order to control him. That at least would be honest.

Tfor3 likes this.
  11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

@TheresTheDagger thats a bit over the top. No Rocket fan would be okay with that and neither would James. But if you are going to take it to such a extreme and according to what your saying, Harden can’t win this battle....
    Why doesn’t harden just quit those shenanigans (at least during that particular game) when he sees they aren’t biting or they aren’t giving in to his taking advantage of the rules?

12. TheresTheDagger

He can do whatever he likes. I personally feel that behind the scenes all hell is gonna break loose with Fertitta and Tad Brown putting the league on notice they are sick of their franchise player being treated like a 2nd rate scrub. The NBA (even though they will never admit it) knows the officials screwed Harden and the Rockets and that they helped that happen by pressuring the officials to officiate him differently.

I predict they back off and James continues to play the only way he knows how.

Tfor3 and Rox11 like this.
  13. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

seems to me the "Harden rule" this year only applied to Harden.

hakeem94 and Tfor3 like this.
  14. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

I just got done using my multiverse viewer to watch game 1 of Rockets vs Celtics on Earth 2 :(

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  15. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Still heartbroken to this day....☹️

fckbandwagons likes this.
  16. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

My psychic said this is a guaranteed victory. We're gonna be talking about this one for a long time. Go Rockets!

BamBam, hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the game. did we win?

18. jaychi

jaychi Member

oh what might have been. I forgot about the bad referee calls. What if we won the championship? we would have retained Ariza, Luc will return and probably added a good free agent?

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hopefully CP3 is able to go for this game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

oh man

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

B-Bob likes this.