1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tillman’s cheapness realized/explained, Rockets worth less than what Tillman paid for!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, May 8, 2021.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Obv he overpaid.... it's the only way to get a team like the Rockets and the only chance in his life he would have had. He really wanted them. That is the only thing I can say I like about him... BUT I don't think he has what it takes to make them win. He is too bombastic in his management style. In fact he shouldn't be micromanaging it. He should have kept Morey.

s3ts and Sanctity like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

First Morey left, like everyone else who had reputations and clouts because tilman not only demanded 90 percent of our moves for cost cutting, he also lied and pointed finger in the media. I likewise expected more from a season ticket holder. He not only cut cost, lied and pointed fingers and blame and threw anyone under the bus he could.

"Which is why he won’t rule out the NFL, even if he did just spend two billion dollars on an NBA franchise.

“There’s all sorts of things you can do. I’m a financial engineer. Every year that goes by it gets easier for me. If a team like the Saints or Titans came up, I would try to do something.

“I love the Rockets. I love the NBA. But the NFL is the NFL.”
    "

He also had an article laughing abotu taking over u of has the chairman, said before they had a term limit for chairman, he laughed and changed it.

He may just be a power hungry egomaniac, no problem, some of those do well in business, but tillman does well for himself not for the rockets. The only winners of his moves as a rockets owner weren't the stars who demanded out, the CEO who quit, THe GM who ran, THe assistant GMs who ran, The coach and associate head coach who ran.. not even us fans who had prices raised on us on a worse product yearly, it was tilman fertitta.

If you're going to jump loops to get a legacy showcase piece, back it up. We are now at the bottom of the barrel laughing stock in the league

3. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I don't think Fertitta had the intention of cost cutting forever but wanted to start making a decent profit but the pandemic made things far worse. He is a billionaire on the lower end and is calculating his business fortunes.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The date of this article is just a couple days ago. I didn't read the whole thing, though, so I may have missed it if they said when they gathered this data, but it seems like this number is very much post-implosion.

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Shut Up and Lessen

ico4498 and KingCheetah like this.
  7. photojoe

photojoe Member

I really can't wait until our Ass Owner wants out of houston

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

You don't think Fertitta had the intention of cost cutting forever... based on what? Your own feelings of good will to him?

This has been his operating MO for everything. Buy a nice restaurant, lower the quality and lower the price in an effort to drive up his own profits.
    His tenure as owner of the Rockets has been short, but even when we were one of the best teams in the league, clearly in the conversation for contenders, he was doing moves to cut costs and reduce luxury tax.

I'm glad you think that he won't do that forever. But I will believe it when I see it, and nothing that he has done at all gives me any reason to think otherwise.

9. DonatelloLimestone

Tilman has mentioned while he loves the rockets, "the NFL is the NFL" so he'd always be interested.

We just need him and Mcnair in the room together, "Look we're geniuses, we know that. But we put our two heads together, we're at a whole nother level" And Mcnair brings him into the texans game. Something akin to this:

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I wish Tillman would sell it to anyone really, so I dont have to read stupid threads like this anymore

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

Warriors owners are not even billionaires before the rockets. You can get a good operation going with a strong organization. Vivek Randive only put 40 million. But: Tilman Fertitta’s companies have furloughed about 70% of employees. He’s the sole owner of the Rockets and will not consider minority partners as a matter of pride. https://t.co/H6mocBpF11

The pandemic definitely hit him harder than most owners, to add to that he bought in as maybe the most over leveraged owner in the new age of billionaires with these high values. That said, anyone who gets in knows this is a legacy buy, they know its a showcase piece. Its not something you run like a restaurant and cheapen the margins.

Warriors are still paying a crazy tax for an 8th seed, they essentially saw GS was not a destination and had a terrible image and rep as a destination. They've changed that around and continue to invest, spent both in the fan and arena experience and also in palyers, culture, bringing in and overpaying big wigs like Jerry west just to get clout and respect. They spent on the details and ran like a tesla, not focusing on the now, building for the long run. They will have worldwide fans like lakers and knicks bc of it. Nets came in, new arena, new branding, new culture as the like and now they will have worldwdie fans. Would anyone think our star would want out of houston to the god damn nets? Thats called investing in your team to all of a sudden draw KD and Kyrie too. Steve balmer doing the same in La, those are big markets. Go see how much Utah Jazz are spending, over paying Conley, Fat contracts for Donovan and Golbert, Joe ingles getting paid, so is bojan...those guys aren't exactly worth their contract, but they went all in and now they are brushing the no one team . The lowly suns, a guy like Sarver you hear with tilmans name is paying for the guy tilman called the worst contract in sports, they are now brushing a no 1 seed.

Compare that to when tillman bought the team and his first offseason in 2018, we have harden, we are one game from the finals. We continue to ignore the MLE, TPE, bird rights, almost all our signings are minimum contracts which we still trade for nothing, we give away picks for assets. This is while he had a chance like above to build a winnign rep and then he can make money on the rebuild like he is now and we don't say a thing, but to do it with when you have a generational talent who wants to be here? Compare the above to tilman below

"And that was the one thing that Morey never really had. According to the cap numbers at Spotrac, which go back to the 2010-11 season, the Rockets barely went over the luxury tax (just $3.65 million over) in their one season (2015-16) as a taxpayer. The Warriors spent $49.63 million in penalties over the last five seasons, while even the small-market Thunder spent $33.73 million. There was no excuse for Houston to not open up the checkbook. This is a franchise located in the fourth-biggest metro area in the U.S. that has had a superstar in the prime of his career. Alexander sat on his hands while Houston’s rivals went all in, counting on Morey’s ability to use advanced statistics to turn water into wine.

"This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling it had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for.

Houston also spent that season in a bizarre staring contest with Danuel House Jr. House is the kind of diamond in the rough that Morey routinely uncovered in Houston, an undrafted free agent on a two-way contract who would become a starting-caliber wing. The problem was that players on those deals can spend only 45 days with the NBA team during the season before their contracts have to be converted. Money in Houston was so tight that Morey had to send House back to the G League when he wouldn’t sign a below-market long-term deal. He replaced House with two players he signed off the street (Gerald Green and Kenneth Faried) before bringing him back right before the playoffs. It’s not like House was asking for the world. He signed a three-year, $11 million contract in the offseason. But even that was more than Morey could offer at the time.

This was all before the pandemic...

#31 DonatelloLimestone, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Milk Haiir and Sanctity like this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

I miss the days when I would be discussing the Rockets when talking about the Rockets, not where it all went wrong with our owner who wants to be the face of the franchise.

13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Both you and Dona speak the truth. I just thought the guy to wanted to earn mega profits to be in a position to pay for a contender. It's not case at all.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m still rooting, but damn do I dislike the owner.

15. DonatelloLimestone

Yea I remember we were all hoping, as local fans will find hope, that it was a matter of paying the "repeater tax" I think all of us were confused to see him let go of assets, and then he sold the idea of we're going for a star, we'll pay for a finals team, basically continues some obscure goal post to give us hope and we all want to buy in, bc we need to. We had a generational talent, our ticket prices continued to rise, and tillman is a good reality star, hes a good car salesman, just like now with our myriad of picks that probably project to be mid level but they are 'picks'. He is good at selling us hope.

He even goes on and says :

"“Last year (getting under the luxury tax) was a fluke,” Fertitta said. “We were going to be in the (tax). It was an accident. I’m still trying to figure out how we got under. I was positive we were going to be in it by $11 million. But if I’m in the luxury tax, I expect us to win."

Accidentally trading a first round pick without knowing? This the same guy as below?

"
    As we walked down one corridor, he stopped to stare at a section of the wall paneling.

“Jeff, I think this is wrong. It’s not like it is downstairs.”

He pulled a rubber-banded roll of cash and credit cards out of his pocket, slid out a black American Express card, and placed it against the panel.

“It looks about a sixteenth of an inch off,” he told Cantwell, who nodded in agreement.

Was this being staged for my benefit? Can the human eye actually detect such a minuscule discrepancy? Whether or not it was a put-on, the message was clear: Fertitta cares about the little things."

So time and time again, I've learned the dude will lie to our faces. I think its a media league, I don't expect total transparency, but at this point tilman treats the fanbase like they are idiots and will lie at any moment. Do we all really believe that now all of a sudden our CEO, Gm, Ass GMs, Coaches all just want to forgo millions to spend time with their families...

I pity the fool who is still buying tilman's snake oil. I wouldn't mind if the guy made the team financial viable, but he just bullshits, I get its a business, but this guy just overtly lies and pretends like the fans are dumb to eat it up, many do.

Its not just about the rockets:

"
    TM: What would you like to see in it?

TF: I don’t know. I really haven’t counted on the government. I’m not one of the largest companies in America and I’m not one of the smallest. When it’s all over with, you can write an article [saying] that I survived and I didn’t get any help from the government."

then watch this. The guy is incapable of being straightforward bc its always worked for him

Sanctity likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

Yep Les wasn't some savant, but Les did not equal the rockets. I've had issues with some of the players yada yada, but Rockets are above all that. I'm a houstonian, rockets are etched in my mind and I simply can't go. Its like knicks fans, they chant and protest outside the arena, they hate dolan, but they love the knicks .Its an emotional geographical allegiance, and its a damn shame the way its set up to be at the mercy of some ******* being benevolent ,especially when you get stuck with A dolan, A Sterling, A Sarver, or A Fertitta. But the rockets will last and are more than him, Clutch city has my heart. You hate to see it when an ******* comes in and tries to landrys-anize this thing, but Clutch City will survive him.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol @ Texans being worth $3.3B. Lololol

But I guess if Doge can have a market cap of $90B.... they have about the same utility

18. DonatelloLimestone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

napalm06 likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets will never compete with this man as owner

20. DonatelloLimestone

We may get lucky, thats what he relies on. The luck of rather than really spending and building the write culture. In the league you can get few and far between talents and it can be special, but its going to be like the pacers with his philosophy. We'll be good enough, hopefuly the shots go our way in the playoffs, he won't do the tax spending which is now the par of the contenders and so it won't last long, but this is the most profitable manner.

Just shaking my head to 2017 when les sold to a local, I was all gung ho that now are title team is already at the cusp of a winner and we'll be able to be put over the top since he was touted as richer than Les and a local who is all about 'winning'. 3 years later, a ceo, gm, coach, stars later...no one left in the organization with any reputation or experience to tell him to shut up and listen...phew what a steep fall.

We got Dollar Value dolan, same meddling culture killing ego, yet won't spend. Worst of all the worlds in the NBA and now we have the Landry'sRockets