1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] The Expanse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2015.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I finished most of the expanse finally. at this point, I wish I would have read the books instead. I have read book series after watching the movie/show before and it without exception I believe an in futility and is just disappointing and boring.

In saying that is there another book series out there comparable to this story or something like the movie Arrival? (if that makes sense in how the two compare with each other)

thanks

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What did you think of the show/series in comparison to other sci-fi stuff like the various Star Trek series? I'm currently binge-watching the Andy Griffith Show and will probably try out The Expanse after that. :D

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Andy was a blatant racist. And The Next Generation was the only thing with watching.

The Expanse is uhhhmayzing

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have only wathed the original ST but I think The Expanse is on par with Battlestar with a hint of humour like Stargate much better than Stargate and a bit better than Firefly which I really liked.

FX is much better than all of those.

5. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I watched the hell out of SG-1 back in the day. It badly needs a reboot, but it's doubtful until MGM gets their act together.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I knew Momoa was gonna be a star I am actually surprised it took him that long.

McNultyisDrunk likes this.
  7. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I never really got into SG Atlantis but knew he was in it. You never hear anybody bring that show up and his part in it.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Last two seasons dragged for me with expanse.

bsg remake is a better watch so far even though I hated the last season and a half.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

First season was pretty good. 2nd season not as good, but still good. 3rd season you could tell they were not sure where to take the series. 4th season amazon drove it off the cliff. Just a completely different feel. Less about the overall conflict and focused more on individual drama. 5th season was obvious filler garbage and an obvious churn of actors. I suspect they will go season 4 route to drag out the show.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Season 4 was the weakest and I like season 5 (halfway though it) more than 4. I like 1-3 about equally.

Where "they" take it. Wouldn't you say more the author didn't know where to take it? Unless the shows are a ton different than the books and I am not aware of that.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I liked the second season the most as it was the conclusion of the first arc. Miller talking to Julie on Ceres was masterful.

Third season was good. I liked the second arc, and the third arc with the ring was very good.

I'd put the first season as my third favorite. It just took too long to build the world and some parts dragged.

I liked season 5. Season 4 was probably the weakest as it the scope wasn't as big.

As much criticism as season 4 and 5 get, I still enjoyed them. I would still say BSG is better. This is better than SGU.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Book 4 in the series was the weakest. If the TV series follows the book, ...

13. Invisible Fan

They should've merged the last two seasons. It's not like they don't know they're on life support with getting picked up

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the Expanse. A sci fi show that actually deals with things like gravity and inertia already sets it apart from many shows. I didn't like how they ended the last season.
    I understand that Cas Anvar is problematic given the accusations made against him but just ending his story arc with him stroking out just seemed tacked on. It's always tough to write out a major character but I think there could've been better ways.

I'm looking forward to the Laconia story arc but it feels like they are cramming a lot of things together in too short of time. It might be better to spread things out over more than just one season.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

no it's not. BattleStar is much better than the Expanse IMO. The only thing the Expanse has is real world Physics. Everything else is boring.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

the only season I really liked was season 3. Everything else just seemed unearned. I feel nothing for Julie and Miller. They didn't set up the character of Julie enough for me to feel anything for the relationship and conclusion with Miller.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's fair. It's more from Miller's journey. The scenery and score added a lot to the impact. This show does very well on that aspect.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Still a good show, I feel like it's at its best when its world building. I feel season 4 was the weakest.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The World building is the best part of the show I agree. The setting and real world physics of The Expanse is amazing. I wish I liked the show more..

20. Invisible Fan

The show works when the shift between personal and world breaking events are balanced. I didn't like wasting three episodes on Naomi's escape when mars and earth were on fire. While it showed the dynamics between the son and her ex, you know how that story will turn out. Son or Naomi kills ex....ex kills son then naomi kills him.

If there was anything to drag out for this and the next season, it should be about the war. That terrorist dude's "big surprise" seemed like a cheat code with no explanation that they could've revealed it sooner, pushed the action forward to the point where viewers don't feel the need to think about it.