1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is a big reach lol

Relatively rich and well developed for Africa is correct, but compared to Europe or the US it's not particularly close, it's similar to a SA country like Uruguay/Chile economically, the healthcare wise not so much, life expectancy is just 72 years.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This is roughly the same rate Israel and the UK have seen as well.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article251209214.html

Breakthrough cases: Here’s how many vaccinated Sacramento County residents got COVID-19

BY MICHAEL MCGOUGH

MAY 06, 2021 10:42 AM

Sacramento County recently began providing data on so-called breakthrough cases of COVID-19 in fully vaccinated residents, and the early numbers appear to affirm the high efficacy of the jabs.

County health officials in an update to their coronavirus data dashboard this week said 152 patients have tested positive this year, out of more than 433,000 considered fully vaccinated through last Friday. That’s about 0.035%, or one in about every 2,850 residents who have received two doses of Pfizer or Moderna, or one dose of Johnson & Johnson.

Of those 152, only 29 of the cases were symptomatic. That means there has been about one symptomatic case reported for every 15,000 fully vaccinated recipients, or 0.007%.

“It’s a very, very small percentage of people who are getting vaccines who are getting infected with COVID,” Jamie White, the county’s epidemiology program manager, said during a Thursday teleconference with local reporters. “I’d like to say that’s about, or even less than, what we would expect.”

White said the national Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists’ definition of a “breakthrough case” requires it be a symptomatic case but that the county dashboard will continue track both totals for transparency.

By contrast, there have been more than 100,000 cases in Sacramento County residents who were not fully vaccinated, including about 34,000 since Jan. 1. The 2021 total ranges somewhere between 2% and 3% of that group depending on the precise timing of those positive cases in relation to Sacramento’s vaccine progress, or one case for every 33 to 50 residents.

At a glance, this appears to show that unvaccinated or partially vaccinated residents have tested positive for COVID-19 at a rate roughly 60 to 85 times higher than those who’ve been fully vaccinated since the start of 2021.

Comparisons of the rates are rough, though, because community transmission rates are much lower now than they were in the earliest weeks of the vaccine campaign, and they started declining even before a significant percentage of residents were fully vaccinated.

For instance, by the end of January — a month in which the infection rate was still very high amid the winter surge — only about 23,000 Sacramento County residents were fully vaccinated, state health data show. By the end of February, the county’s daily case rate was less than half as high as late January, even as less than 7% of its population was fully vaccinated, state and local health data show.

White said she did not immediately know whether any of the 29 symptomatic breakthrough cases had been hospitalized for COVID-19 or died, but said she would provide that information soon.

@adoo @saitou

B-Bob, No Worries and saitou like this.
  4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks for sharing, results look good.

robbie380 likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday. Had a fever, aches and chills overnight. Felt bad all day. Hopefully I’ll feel better tomorrow, but so grateful to have had both.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

184107104_10225047834651432_330301128339363608_n.jpg

Coming out of lockdown with Pliny the Elder. First day fully vaccinated!

B-Bob and peleincubus like this.
  7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Mask mandate ended a while back in Texas.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was trying to remember that rootbeer recently. that stuff is goood.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By the second day after getting my shot I was feeling back to normal.

MadMax likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Found out some friends (a husband and wife) are anti-vaxxers and have refused to get the COVID vaccines. Sure enough they both came down with COVID-19 and have been sick the past week. There three kids are fine.

Thankfully they aren't having a bad case and don't require hospitalization so maybe this might be just the wakeup call to get them to reconsider vaccines.

No Worries likes this.
  11. MadMax

yep...feeling good this morning!

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Or, based on personal anecdotes, they will decide they don't need it because they have now had it.

MadMax likes this.
  13. MadMax

Sadly, that was my first thought when I read his post.

No Worries likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We have a protocol set for people complaining of headaches that have taken the J&J or AZ vaccine. We scan your head with iv contrast to rule out clots.

malakas likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yep. And my understanding of the science: immunity granted from having contracted COVID << immunity granted from Pfizer or Moderna vaccination. (Just in terms of relevant antibody response tests, etc.)

No Worries likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not sure who "James Melville" is in terms of expertise, but data now show that a vaccinated person is very unlikely to transmit the virus. To the extent that if you are vaccinated and not showing any symptoms, you should feel fairly safe in giving granny a big ole hug.

adoo, ElPigto and malakas like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/10...six-doses-of-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

I wonder how many actual overdoses there are with so many young/not well trained nurses or doctors are vaccinating millions of people.
    It must be very common.

Of course not likely to the extent of jabbing a whole vial into someone's arm like here but a double triple dose must happen fairly often.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Great that someone is at least responsible. I read that when thousands of people in the uk are turning up in the ER with headaches after the AZ, doctors just tell them to get a painkiller and go home.

Good news that after September the EU will stop buying these dangerous vaccines. I am still waiting until I can get an mRNA.

BamBam likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Had my second shot of Moderna this weekend, so far I have a slight cough (first shot I had no symptom, not even sore arm). This is the second day, hopefully this is it and i am done with this.

MadMax likes this.