1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I get the novelty of this, I guess, but honestly it’s ridiculous. It’s incredible what people will throw their money away on.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This did more buys than any ppv this year except tyson jones jr. Askren made more money than pretty much every ufc champ for losing.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

It is pretty amusing how Jake Paul has riled up the entire MMA community. Before the fight, everybody was talking about how Ben was going to whoop his ass, and now they're all claiming it was rigged or that he should "fight a real boxer".

He's 3-0. He just started his boxing career... there's no need for him to fight top guys yet. He should fight Dillon Danis (who he would knock out) next. The nuclear heat he would receive from fighters and fans afterwards would be enough to sway any fighter into the ring with him. I bet he could get $15 million from a Nate or Nick Diaz fight.

It's not easy being a Ben Askren fan though. I thought he would win but 20 seconds into the bout I knew he was screwed. He had 20 years to learn the basics of striking and never bothered, so no wonder he lost a striking competition.

JayGoogle and Yung-T like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ruiz v. Arreola on PPV... what the hell -- I thought that was the fight of the night on a free card on Fox.

Lame.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Paul vs Floyd is going to do some insane numbers, especially after the circus show today.

It's hard to imagine any scenario where Paul actually wins. Floyd is old, yeah, sure, and if he had like a 50-10 record or something I could see it...but his unbeaten record means he's never taken anyone lightly and that's going to be the same for Paul. It's hard to imagine Paul landing a clean shot on the guy, we're talking one of the best defensive boxers of all time here...philly shell has never been broken...

But the older you get the softer your jaw gets too. Floyd in his prime could take some punches...and how hard does Jake Paul punch anyway? Interesting, I'll be watching...but not paying.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nah, it's a scripted circus and Floyd could knock him out in 20sec if he really wanted to.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Back to real boxing:
    Saunders vs Canelo tonight, should be pretty entertaining.
    Saunders is one of my favourite boxers and incredibly skilled, but Canelo has added so much to his skillset that I don't see him losing to anyone in his weight class atm.

Also Marc Castro on the undercard, he's great to watch and one of the top talents in boxing right now.

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

Canelo has been really active -- glad you posted this because I didn't realize it was tonight.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

11. KingCheetah

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No one can touch Canelo, too bad he didn't fight Mayweather in his prime.

13. Aware

Aware Member

really was just great seeing a sporting event at capacity

King1 likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

That narrative needs to go away.
    ______

Álvarez, Ring magazine's #1 ranked light middleweight and the unified WBA (Regular) and WBC champion, fought against Ring magazine's #1 pound for pound fighter, WBA (Super) light middleweight champion, WBC and Ring magazine welterweight champion, Floyd Mayweather Jr., on 14 September 2013.[58] Mayweather held a world title at welterweight (147 lbs), but he also still owned a light middleweight title (154 lbs), which he won by outpointing Miguel Cotto in May 2012. He was moving back up in weight to face Álvarez with their belts on the line, although the fight was contested at a catchweight of 152 lbs. The titles disputed for the bout were Álvarez's WBC and Ring light middleweight titles and Mayweather's WBA (Super) light middleweight title. On fight night, Mayweather reportedly weighed 150 lbs and Álvarez came in at 165 lbs.[58][59]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canelo_Álvarez

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure why you are posting that, I know Canelo was at the top of his class back then.

But he still wasn't even close to the fighter with a terrific skillset & experience that he is now, the fight would be so much closer if both could've fought at their peak (obviously not possible due to age difference).

I just think that this current Canelo would've been the greatest opponent of Floyd's career and it's too bad that we could never see these two legends fight against each other in their prime.
    And I also hate the "lol Canelo can't be touched, but look how Mayweather destroyed him" bs that so many spout, not realizing how different this current Canelo is to the one that fought against Floyd.

16. Aware

Aware Member

canelo turned pro at like 15 so yea he was experienced but i wouldnt call that prime canelo. imo hes been at his best since the second ggg fight. He's really settled in at the right weight for him. floyd beats current canelo regardless as long as its south of 160. there is no way floyd would have ever taken that fight against supper middleweight/ light heavyweight canelo. **** no.

this was a really good win for canelo against a very game saunders. i've been trying to keep up with the injury update and sounds like its significant and possibly career ending. saunders is a prick but you hate to see guys g out like that.

lmao bad look for andrade

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not super sure about that, current Canelo is one of the best fighters of this generation and has no real weakness imo.

Terrific movement, spacing and power.

Aware likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

I thought Saunders just had some big capillary vessels pop that made his eye close almost instantly, but this is really bad.

Aware and Yung-T like this.
  19. Aware

Aware Member

maybe.
    imo it really all comes down to weight. at welterweight and below, floyd outboxes just about anyone.

canelo is on a tear for sure tho and is putting the sport on his back.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Charlie-99

Charlie-99 Member

The power of those body shots Canelo was landing were incredible.

The ending was inevitable if he landed one of them to the head.
    And he did!