1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 1.0 Picks: 1-5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 6, 2021.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That would be disastrous. I guess i'm one of the only ones who saw him flounder when his team's back was against the wall.

If we got a top pick I would consider it a failure if they drafted Suggs .

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They need to know if they’re tanking or not next year. If we’re tanking then trade Wood

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Which one these guys did not flounder when his teams back was against the wall?

Mobley and Cade floundered as well.

arabrocket likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

14% what?!

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah. What did you think it was?

Nook likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's funny how folks seem to hold Suggs losing in the championship when he got in early foul trouble that limited him obviously, seemingly correlating that with him being some massive failure, especially when guys like mobley/cade didn't even make it there. Mobley being sent home by Suggs and the Zags which wasn't a close game at all. And Cade didn't even make it past the 2nd round vs a 12 seed.

Suggs is extremely talented and if the Rockets are lucky enough to be able to draft him, they absolutely should be happy with that. And if okc gets their pick, the rockets definitely won't be able to

#26 YOLO, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This all goes back to great player vs. great team debates and the expectations set on one or the other.

The Zags were heavily favorited to run the table for the championship with 2 (possibly) top 10 picks and another NBA player in the fold being ousted by a (at the time) defensive led team that was not supposed to be on the same level as the 'star' laden Zags squad.

Cade and Mobley have little help in terms of complimentary players therefore, they have little to no pressure to make it past the 2nd round of the tourney.

I really like Suggs but for me at least it'll be a close call between him and someone like Kuminga at the 4th and 5th picks.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gonzaga never had 2 top 10 picks. Suggs is going top 5 as a true freshman. The next guy is Kispert and he'll be extremely lucky if he even fits into the back end of the lottery.

Baylor was the team with 2 likely lottery picks in mitchell/butler along with a supporting cast with a number of good players. They had more than enough talent to match up with the Zags. The Zags had the hype of going undefeated. That's where it came from but as far as matching up, it was never about not being in the same level in reality

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I can give an almost 100% certainty the Rockets will not end up with the first pick in the draft. If they keep it at all it will be #4.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

At the time, Mitchell and Butler were both late teens and/or low twenties projected picks.

Suggs is still a top 5 projected pick and Kispert is still a top 10 projected pick. So you're wrong there.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

Regardless, the top player from whichever team (whether it was Mitchell for Baylor or Suggs for Gonzaga) was going to have to play at the top of his potential especially with it being such a huge stage. Suggs has been that guy from the beginning of the tourney all the way until the end and in everyone else's eyes failed, even after the buzzer beater to send Michigan packing.

Again, I like Suggs as a player but in many people's eyes he failed the mission, which was to push his team to the school's first ever National Championship... with what should have been the best record, best coach, and best group of players to win it all. They didn't complete the mission so for everyone anti-Suggs he failed.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Whoops. I debated that and couldn't remember. Even worse! Woohoo!

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

That mock draft is what you’re going off of. I can easily go by this one and no I’m not wrong. Would you like to wager that kispert top 10 draft pick? I’m down

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2021-nba-mock-draft/

it’s a mock draft, folks have all kinds of opinions. And I agree with the mock drafts that say kispert is not a top 10 pick cause he isn’t. I’ve followed college a long time and I even posted in the college threads that Baylor was a scarier team than Gonzaga this year led by Mitchell/butler.

I don’t think he’s a failure at all. The team as a whole was what failed. As far him, not so much. You don’t hold him to some standard and not apply the same standard for case of Mobley when we’re talking about players. Which was well he didn’t win the tourney and he “struggled”.

Consistency in logic has always been a problem on this board. It’s only applies when convenient. Not saying you did this. It goes back to the original post I responded to.

#32 YOLO, May 7, 2021
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why would anyone put that much on the shoulders of a freshman?

Since when does not winning the tournament even matter?

When was the last time a guy won everything and went on to be a great pro?

Should that same thing have been said about Zion who had better talent?

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I honestly don't give a f**k enough to put money on Kispert's draft position, that's pretty freakin stupid honestly. Cause as you said they're mocks and everyone has an opinion, I guess I should have added that a majority of mock drafters have him going within the 10-14 range, which still makes him top 10 (potentially) but also late lottery.

Either way Butler is still not being mocked within the early teens to late twenties of the draft so you're take there with them being a likely lottery is pretty off compared to where the "experts" have him projected at the time.

Another mock for your example https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-lottery-simulation-and-1st-round-predictions

That's also not including Ayai who's being mocked as a late first early second round pick. Again, the expectations were extremely high on him from every outlet, not just Clutchfans members; but the media, the students, the bracketologists, the bracket-eers, and everyone in between.

I hold every player accountable for the level that their team reaches in the tourney. If they perform exemplary and still can't push a crap teen into the sweet 16, it's still a let down, but nothing that should knock them from being a top 5 pick given the talent and potential they've shown all season long.

I honestly think if anything Suggs helped his chances of becoming a top 3 pick rather than falling into the top 5 conversation but you also have teams like the Cavs, Magic, and Pistons who just spent high end capital on a PG or multiple PGs within the last few years. That may dictate who wants to reach for position or BPA when it's on them to make a selection.

I'm pretty much agreeing with you but obviously our differences are with who will be selected in what range of the draft, which I honestly don't know... after all they are just mocks and we're not even considering potential trade up or down from a certain team that could catch a sliding player or two that were mentioned.

Either way, again, I think Suggs will be a good player and it'll be on that team and their coaches to bring him to his fullest potential. Hopefully he lands in a more preferable situation when all is said and done.

#34 FLASH21, May 7, 2021
  15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're stepping into this mid-conversation, read my OP and my last post.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman will probably own this team for the next decade or two. Get used to suckage.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tough leader

18. DonatelloLimestone

Jalen Suggs isn't getting a mock top 5 because of his 14-5-5 and average to low 3pt shooting percentage, its about his potential of what he can do in the nba. Gonzaga was a better team, although baylor had elite athleticism and strong talent. But the draft is usually on potential, guys like STromile swift, marvin williams so on its about finding someone who has the physical skills and can develop into something more. Let alone they often play zone in college, closing out the paint. The nba is much more open and allows playmakers to really be creative more than in college.

Thats the hope for Suggs. Much of his year was solid, but not a standout and he made the headlining big shot, but didn't show too many spectacular flashes in the game. That said, I do believe especially as a PG who is athletic and poised, an open court NBA is a much better situation for him to flourish.

Cade had a worse team, but he showed the skills of being able to create off the dribble, shoot off the dribble, change paces, shoot off balance, a lot of the tools you need to be able to create in the nba. You add that he already has an nba frame, above average vision and playmakin at that size, you can see why people think he can be very special. He could be Tyrke evans od denzel from the Bulls, he could be much much more too.

The draft is and has never been an exact science. We still have to learn how they handle adversity, what their personality and willingness to adapt to training and growth is, so on. But all the top 4 guys have the physical skills and have shown advanced skills too.

I'm happy with getting the top 4, still a 52.1 percent, theres good talent in the top of this draft. I like the Gleague guys too, we get to see them play at an nba pace with much better talent than they play in college.

cmlmel77, xiki and Sanity2disChaos like this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He hit the shot to get them in the final.

Any of those four guys....

Suggs would be my fourth choice.

Cade
    Mobley
    Green
    Suggs

Rashmon and xiki like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming that gets done, we need to trade up for Kispert or Butler also.