1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Hawaii in July - Any Tips for a First-Timer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 4, 2021.

1. Fantasma Negro

Hawaii is ****ing awesome but most of the fun is the excursions. I'm not sure how thrilled your kids would be about things like going to diamond head crater. But the zoo is cool, if the submarines are running book that, definitely snorkel if you can (kids should love that), I don't know if they are old enough to zip line but that would be one to book if they are and of course you gotta go to the beaches to which there are a **** ton of. Some of the beaches are at the bottom of some hellaciously declined hills, if you know you don't want to walk 3-7 miles in the heat at 50 degree decline, rent an off-road suv (jeep wrangler ftw). Also if your resort is doing a luau, go but don't sit in the first row if you're shy because the dancers will drag you up on the stage and make you hula dance lol. Have a great time, eat your ass off, order the fresh catch eggs benedict every morning for breakfast, every place has a version of it and its amazing, you'll thank me later

2. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Seems like nice suggestions. How long is a flight to Hawaii typically?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Also watch out for lava bombs.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good stuff, thanks man! I was wondering about the zoo. Probably cool, but wasn't sure about going or not since we have a zoo at home.. My boys love snorkeling in the pool, so they will be all over that.

We are actually staying at a Disney resort on the west side with a bunch of family where everything is already planned out (including a luau) but we're arriving 3 days earlier and staying at a different spot to try and get some good family time in before the other 12 people show up and all hell breaks loose! In a good way, of course.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

About 8 to 10 hours over nothing but water. You will realize how easy it is to be lost at sea.

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

My recommendation is go to Maui instead. Oh, make sure your rental is a convertible.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

pro-tip:

Maui-Waui smoked out of a pineapple

8. famicom

famicom Member

This.. great family spot to lay out and relax, can snorkel in calm waters to see some fish, maybe turtles if you venture further.. hopefully a cool breeze and hang out under the trees

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree! Great spot to relax for the day!

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't let your guard down in places where you sign up for tours. I had my wallet snagged from my purse the first day there many moons ago. That was a real drag.

11. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Can I hijack this thread and ask for recommendations on the big island? 2 families, 4 kids (ages 7 - 13). We are staying on the west side and we haven't decided if we should stay at the volcano park or just make a trip out there for a day (lodging options near the volcano seem pretty old)...

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That looks familiar. I think we went there. Recommend it as well.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Tons of cool stuff on the Big Island. Most of it probably wouldn't impress the kids.

- driving the Saddle Road from the West side to the Hilo is pretty cool. Will get you up to Mauna Kea...assuming your rental car company allows it.

- Pololu Valley Lookout - probably my favorite place in Hawaii. Serene, lonely, beautiful.

- Ka Lae (Southpoint) - Papakolea Beach - uber cool green sand beach that will require a decent hike and slight descent into an ancient blown out volcanic crater; would be cool for the kids...except strong currents and deep water make this not very kid friendly; still very beautiful

- any volcanic activity - kids will love lava and smoke and danger :)

- lots of black sand beaches to visit; they're nothing too special...just different; kids loves beaches

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

It's been close to 20 years since I've been, but agree with @Fantasma Negro about the excursions. Helicopter tours in Oahu are fantastic. If you're looking for family-friendly, cheesey, touristy stuff... The Dole Pineapple Plantation fits the bill.

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Forgot about this place on the East side of Oahu...really enjoyed checking it out...stunning...

https://byodo-in.com/

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k likes this.