1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gery Woelfel says Stephen Silas among coaches on hot seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 6, 2021.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't know if the guy is legit, but Silas definitely deserves to be on the hot seat.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i don't think so... did great with the tank. made critical tank supporting decisions during the season. now was it on purpose or is actually bad?!

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’s not legit...maybe he’s repackaging info from someone who’s actually known and reputable like some sites like to do

I’d fire Silas and hire Kenny Atkinson this summer anyways, so if Silas is on the hot seat, I’ll allow it...doubt Tilman would pay 2 different coaches at the same time tho

RedRedemption, hakeem94, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I couldn't disagree more. He did what he's supposed to do after Harden was traded. He went all in on the tank. Put some actual talent on the team before you judge him.

Denovo, 34to11, Ramo$e and 19 others like this.
  6. cdastros

cdastros Member

The Rockets need to tank for more years than this one.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We’d be HEAVILY criticized for firing him after one, Covid shortened, Harden fiasco’d, not talent on the roster season.

He’s waited 20 years for this job

Tha TC, Denovo, mikenm268 and 32 others like this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

Yep, I don't think its a fair season or situation for Silas. Like the guy, I think nba players respond to him, and he was dealt a terrible hand that not many coaches would suceed in. At the same time there are some good ones in the market and I somehow doubt and agree with you, has there been any sign tilman would pay for 2 coaches with his track record. With that, I think Silas is going to stay, and I'm cool with it to give him an offseason and hopefully some stability to make it work

JayGoogle, xiki and sydmill like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

No coach with any sort of options or cache would come here after MDA leaves disgruntled and Silas is fired after 1 year, so I think he’s here to stay for those reasons in addition to Tilman being cheap. If Silas is fired, he’ll become a martyr like Melo was.

hopefully he continues to grow as a coach

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i agree, silas could have lost us more games, but instead he snuck in a few more wins here and there. unacceptable

Landsdale, AXG, chadyang and 5 others like this.
  11. DonatelloLimestone

Likewise with many executives. Its a dream job and a hard circle to get into, so its not to say people would turn it down. But if you're offered the GM position here and they tell you ok, but you have to let the owners son shadow you, have full access to you, run by any moves with him, then maybe people swallow it and try to get the job done. Working in the nba is a privelge, but now if you're good and you have two offers and sixers is telling you just get the ****ing W, none of the other junk. Then who are the people with choices going to choose, any 1a players or really anyone without an absolute advantage of the role and opportunity here choose that organization over this one?

Thats culture.

randerson, saleem and Reeko like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Then it's settled. Seat is normal room temperature.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

He's staying. Fern t*** is riding this one out with him for the next few years.

Invisible Fan and BamBam like this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

We'll see, would be happy to be wrong but I'm just not impressed.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just don't even understand how you can possibly expect to be impressed when the team is literally trying to have the worst record in the league.

34to11, Sandi, arabrocket and 3 others like this.
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

And I don't see how you can be. Like I said, we'll see but so far not impressed. Would be ecstatic to be wrong.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I haven’t seen anything particularly noteworthy that he’s done on the court (off the court seems pretty good with the media) but one year is way too quick to pull the plug, especially since it’s not like rockets are going anywhere next season.

D-rock likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Silas has done a great job. He has us exactly where we need to be. Honestly we need to be this bad for 2 more years after this so he needs to stick around.

BamBam and don grahamleone like this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

There isn't really a reason to fire him now. Just replace him in 3 years when we're ready to win again.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

doubt he's on the hot seat. he has some excuses working in his favor this year but make no mistake he hasn't been significant or anything special either. He's basically a placeholder for the next sucker. You just wonder what next year's excuses are going to be bc the Rockets won't be good next year either. It's only a matter of time until folks comes up with those.

saleem, don grahamleone and clos4life like this.