1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[John McWhorter] Is it racist to expect black kids to do math for real?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue is that there are those on the left who have no idea what it means to be "woke" in a true sense and take racial justice to extremes by thinking everything is racist, which in turn undermines actual efforts to fight real inequality as people on the right narrow in on the ridiculous statements and actions of the few.

The education system is systematically racist, yes, but it's not because of AP classes or gifted and talented programs, and it's not because math is inherently racist.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

There used to be lower classes then even alg 1. When i started tutoring math at the CC level they had basic math classes, basically for students who were starting over, or were dropouts, etc. Those are not allowed anymore

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

It's actually a lazy way out, it's easier to blame and point fingers than to do the actual work of changing things and to make up the ground that that will enable people to thrive.

Its like you said it's not about if things are systematically racist its what are you willing to do to create a level playing field and to make sure you have the skills to be competitive.

pirc1 likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So wait did they ban these math classes or not?

Did they Ban basic math in Texas as well because the lowest course offered at Blinn (The biggest CC in Texas)
    Is Algebra.

You have to pass some Algebra to even get a GED.

Why are you lying so much?

5. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

It's almost like being transported 25 to 30 years ago.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I have no clue about texas, i’m in California but ya they banned the basic math classes here at the community college level. I only know about the stuff I’m involved with, no clue outside of that

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They did not ban anything.

Give proof or stop lying.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Lol ok bud

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Exactly.

You do know you are on the internet right?

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but teachers have to have help from the parents or else the kids will just rely on their peers for direction.

Like when Tupac went wrong in Juice

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Teachers aren't equipped to do the task and parents aren't around to do it. You need another person.

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

True
    Naughty by Nature mentions this in the song
    @Reeko
    Some get a little and some get none
    Some catch a bad one and some leave the job half done
    I was one who never had and always mad
    Never knew my dad, mother **** the ***

But I'm the one who has been labeled as an outcast
    IN TEACHER'S schools, I'm the misfit CHILD AND outlast
    But that's cool with the bull, smack 'em backwards

That's what you get for ***** with a ghetto b*stard

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I only took 1 math class in college, Texas State, and it was insanely easy. I don’t remember what it was called though.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

What did the Valedictorian from Princeton do different?
    @Reeko
    Oh he's from Canada! Did they lower standardized test? no.
    He probably could have aced the test in NYC Schools in his sleep.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Great post. I agree. Honest query (not debating), why do you feel the education system is systematically racist? I could understand it being disadvantageous from a socioeconomic level, as many poor areas have lower level educators and curriculums, but not sure how that translates to racism. Classism perhaps. Anyway, just curious as I’m far from an expert.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My dad used to run the carpenters union in the entire country and I still can’t read a tape measure. I’m also white

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

He's the exception not the rule.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are pointing out one level - that less money per student goes to lower income areas (read black / hispanic). Other ways it is racist is that the standards are much lower for blacks and latino students - the teachers expect less from them and they expect less from themselves. Yes even black and latino students suffer from racism in the fact they believe that blacks and latinos inherently are worse at various subjects. It permeates through the entire process - this is what I learned at Americorp more than 20 years ago and it was a real eye opener.

If you walk through a suburban elementary school and then walk through an inner city one and sit on the classes, you will understand immediately what I am talking about.

Changing this system is about money, but that is just one piece of the equation and if you don't address the other factors money won't have the impact, in fact, in many ways it's the smallest part of the problem.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

what rule?
    i don't think he had the fake mental idea that he could not succeed

but then again smart people aren't stupid people.

if 100 people jump off a cliff, and 1 person doesn't.
    that person is the smart one.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

School Spending Is Not to Blame for Education Challenges | Issues 2020 (manhattan-institute.org)
    It turns out that, when federal spending is taken into account, school spending is by and large equal across racial and socioeconomic lines. That major differences in school spending are state to state, but they show no significant effects on performance. "A 2008 study by the Tax Policy Center (a joint venture of the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute) examined changes in per-pupil spending by student race since 1972 and found that “spending differences have largely disappeared. Spending levels across districts have converged; most remaining differences in spending are between rather than within states.” As of 2002, average per-pupil expenditure for nonwhite students was greater than or equal to expenditures for white students in 47 states.[28] A 2017 Urban Institute study aimed to discern whether students in poverty received equitable funding by calculating district-level spending, weighted by the number of students in poverty. After factoring in state and federal funding, the authors concluded that “poor students in most states attend school districts that are about as well funded as the districts nonpoor students attend in their state.”[29]"

There are differences in outcomes, but school funding does not explain them (at least per these studies).