1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yep n I don't blame minorities, the government has done some pretty shady things to us, but at the same time we gonna be the responsible ones n lead our people. I'm not a Conspiracy theory guy simply because I was in the military and saw how dumb the government is. They can't do anything right so I know they wouldn't have the discipline to do some mass conspiracy

UTSA2step, Wulaw Horn and Pistol Pete like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I personally know people at work that refuse vaccines and are so afraid of Covid that they may never go back into the office. Not going to argue right or wrong, because who knows, but it's certainly a very non pragmatic position to be in.

Psychologically, the people most afraid of Covid aren't going to want anything to do with a vaccine. There's never been an exit strategy for those people. Going to be tough to resolve doubts and fears about a virus that by definition mutates and had different impacts to each person based on immune system response.

I fully endorse those people's right to lock themselves inside, but I also don't see how policymakers can open up concerts sports and entertainment venues without being demonized by the hand wringers out there. It isn't going to be politically tenable in the age of the tail wagging the dog on social issues. I dont see it fully happening this season or next.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

TLDR I dont care if I infect other people y'all can suck it I'm not taking no vaccine.

And yes this belongs in the DnD

BallaDoc likes this.
  6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

There are links to people saying they have died from the vaccine? I'm very intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

UTSA2step and BowlingBaller like this.
  7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

You had to take a litany of vaccines just to attend elementary school. Polio and smallpox literally no longer exist naturally on this planet due to the development of vaccines. I can’t think of a politically correct way to describe how stupid it is to be anti-vax

BallaDoc, Sandi, Little Bit and 8 others like this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If hearing an nba player endorsing a vaccine is what convinced you, you may be a lost cause

BallaDoc and ksny15 like this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That poster doesn’t know how to use statistics but spouts numbers without context, and now can’t even understand the science/numbers behind vaccination.

The irony shouldn’t exist, all the while he’s ignorant of his own stupidity.

if you’re antivax you’re priming yourself for ending your elusive spree of natural selection. There’s no nice or polite way to say it , you’re in the dumbest 1%

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

More than an athlete... remember, the majority of these athletes barely have a high school education.

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

This thread is not in the incorrect forum, but your post is. You could also argue that the post is on the wrong website, as your account should be locked.

You may be trolling, I'm not sure. However, this post is so egregious it deserves a few retorts, unless one of the moderators deletes or moves it to the correct forum.
    • I assume you understand that because you didn't get seriously ill, doesn't mean others won't. I'm also happy you didn't infect or kill any family members. However, most cases are transmitted within households, so consider yourself lucky. You may have infected other people before you realized you were sick, and if so, it's possible one of the people you infected died from it. Hopefully you didn't cause a death.
    • You are likely immune from the original virus, but it's possible you'll get re-infected with a variant, which is more deadly than the first time you got sick. Hopefully it doesn't kill you or your family the next time around.
    • Yes, people are taking risks during the pandemic by shopping and doing other activities. However, it's EXTREMELY clear that the behavior of the population has changed dramatically during the pandemic. Typically about 200 children die from the flu every season, and only ONE has died this flu season - statistically that is UNBELIEVABLE. Cases are also much much lower than normal, so despite your anecdotes, most people are being careful.
    • It's extremely likely that you're correct that the population will eventually reach herd immunity without vaccines. However, it's going to take A LOT more deaths for that to happen, and that strategy promotes more mutations... each mutation is potentially more deadly than the original. If you were in charge, we might be looking at 10 years and a pretty huge chunk of the population dead before the pandemic ends. Ever heard about the bubonic plague? S*** happens. Sorry you have issues with reality.
    • What's with your obsession with people that are overweight? Yes, we live in America where our corrupt and faulty food supply chain and our reliance on automobiles cause society-wide weight problems.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is not the nba players
    It’s that this the role models you have for an entire community ?
    So if your doctor recommends you get one but LeBron says no, you trust LeBron ?

worse is if your role model is Kyrie and you plan on a world trip flying 20 hours in the wrong direction you believe that the world is flat cause his nutso self says so
    @Reeko

BallaDoc, JumpMan and Jontro like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only one doctor in the NBA
    And he retired in the 80s
    @Jontro

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

that poster is definitely a ****ing moron.

BallaDoc, JayZ750 and Nook like this.
  16. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

NBA players are generally healthy and young. They are not on the priority list for getting the vaccine.

17. Theking

Theking Member

Have you got a link to the bridge advertisement? Ive been looking at diversifying my portfolio for some time already

BallaDoc likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

According to Dennis Schroeder, he and LeBron are the only Lakers not to get the vaccine. That's from the interview Nichols refers to in the video. Curiously, Nichols does not mention Schroeder stating that LeBron also hasn't gotten the vaccine.

In the video, AD talks about why it's important that he got it and that most of his teammates got it. Is that going to direct any questions to LeBron? Did he slyly put that pressure on LeBron? Nichols and Ramona definitely put serious pressure on players to get it and shame those who are choosing not to.

I think LeBron is in a tough place on this one because I believe he considers himself a voice of the people and a lot of the people do not trust the vaccine. I wonder if he thinks that him getting and especially publicizing and promoting the vaccine will cause him to lose some credibility with a certain faccion of his fan base. On the other hand, he has pressure from the liberal media to get the vaccine. I'm fascinated by this.

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

There’s no reason he shouldn’t promote the vaccine. “Man of the people”. If he’s a man of the people, he would promote health and safety. Only ignorant people are anti-vax. They aren’t buying NBA merchandise; they’re watching NASCAR

RudyTBag, BallaDoc and JayZ750 like this.