1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Going to Hawaii in July - Any Tips for a First-Timer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 4, 2021.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Taking the family to Hawaii in July and looking for some touristy things to do, since we've never been before.

Of course we'll be touring Pearl Harbor (I'm the only one who wants to do that, but WE'RE DOING IT) and Diamond Head. We're staying in Waikiki so anything to do on O'ahu would be best. We'll have 2 9-year olds so kid-friendly would be awesome.

Again, never been before so looking for touristy things instead of off the beaten path type things.

TIA

TWS1986 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wife is from Kauai. Bunch of relatives on Oahu. Honolulu is just like any other big city. Traffic is horrendous during rush hour times of day. You might get acquainted with The Zipper.

Waikiki is pretty cool...except toward the south end...lots of homeless folk in that area. Daytime is safe. Avoid at night.

Take your kids snorkeling at Hanauma Bay (East side). Take them surfing on Waikiki Beach. It's a little late in the season for big waves on the North Shore...but there still might be some surfing worth watching up there. If not, you can always take the family to the Matsumoto shave ice place.

Cool secret for good local food...the Ala Moana Center. Anytime we go, we always have to stop by Patti's so my wife can get the duck. Will have standard mall fare...but will have good local food also.

Must visit everytime we go (again...wife's demand)... Jesse's Coffee Shop and Bakery 1101 N King St #6, Honolulu, HI 96817 ...always comes home with lots of pianomo rolls. Possibly also worth checking out... Zippys https://www.zippys.com/

ima_drummer2k, TWS1986 and mikol13 like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Don't play with lava.

IBTL and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  4. CrazyJoeDavola

Make sure you flash a hang ten sign at all the locals. That lets them know you are one of them.

Rashmon, OmegaSupreme, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Last time i was there we went wakeboarding. But the waves were intense for a good ole Texas boy like me. But i was like screw this, I'm wakeboarding, so i found a section of the beach where the waves were like 10% less crazy and went out there. Didn't take but 5 minutes for a giant wave to catch me and plow me into the water with such force that i went all the way down and faceplanted into the bottom. I came walking back to the beach with a super sore neck and my wife was like wtf cause the side of my face was scratched to hell and bleeding.

So i guess my tip is be careful of the big waves!

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes

Tip 1. Take me with you

Tip 2. Record it and make a movie?

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  7. KingCheetah

Paddle out and surf Jaws.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

When you scuba, look for Big Blue down and in . But watch out for over your shoulder.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I lived in Kaneohe on Oahu for a couple of years. I'll echo boomboom- maybe surf lessons at Waikiki beach (the waves should be gentle). If Pipeline is breaking on the north shore it's definitely worth a drive to check out. You're able to get a uniquely close up view of incredible waves and surfing there. I think JayZ must be talking about boogie boarding (b/c wakeboarding in that context doesn't make sense). Anyway, good advice to be very careful about boogie boarding or body surfing in shore break. He got lucky. People pretty regularly get paralyzed at some spots, like Sandy Beach.

#9 gifford1967, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    TWS1986, ima_drummer2k and mikol13 like this.
  10. KingCheetah

Wakeboarding Hawaii is hype you just need a powerful Ski Nautique and a monster tower.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rigs like that are for barneys brah. Look at the wake you can throw with a jet ski if you know what you're doing-

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  12. KingCheetah

Must have some monster bags.

13. Buck Turgidson

#13 Buck Turgidson, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    ima_drummer2k likes this.
  14. Brad

Brad Member

Make sure you are familiar with all the Covid pretesting requirements before you go.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hear the leper colony is fun

Rashmon likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We went there for our honeymoon. In that area, we went on a guided hike/tour thing. That was fun and I bet your kids would like it.

We also signed up to take a cruise on a large boat where we'd eat dinner, and that sucked. I would advise against that. It was my fault because I booked it. There were 2 such cruises and one was like half the price of the other; I of course booked the cheapo one and knew it was a mistake as soon as I saw the boat.

17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Well timed thread. We're going late July for our anniversary. :)

Fantasma Negro and IBTL like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Every young person has a dream. Making it come true is the challenge.

Do you want to be some wrinkled up old geezer, 40 years old, watching a surf contest on TV, going "Yeah, I was good, I coulda done that"?

For surfers, North Shore is the place.

Don't be a kook. Don't be an outsider. There are more obstacles than you can ever imagine.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

If you're a coffee drinker, go to Costco and stock up on Kona beans.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member

for oahu if you are doing a "beach" day I highly recommend hanauma bay.

I wont put my name on much but I will vouch for this spot

[​IMG]