1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Prime TV] Invincible (Animated- from the creator of The Walking Dead)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 23, 2021.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It funny because I just finished rewatching season 2 of Justice League then all of JLU.

The Thanagarian Invasion and then the Cadmus arch are fairly similar, even the cloning stuff with Supergirl.

I was telling my wife, I thought it was funny that JK Simmons plays General Eiling who is worried about Superman going rogue and having no counter solution....

All that being said, I am looking forward to season 2 of Invincible....

DreamShook and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You guys who haven't read the comics are going to really love where this story goes from here. The adaptation isn't 100% but it's damn near close and I think Kirkman, Rogen, etc. will do the comic justice in the next couple of seasons.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I admittingly haven't watched much of the JLU, but I really agree with the bolded. Nothing was really original (except Machine Head's autotuned voice) but it was just executed very well in my opinion. I enjoyed how the series is a bit of a critic and had something to say about the landscape of superheros.

JK Simmons ended up stealing the show with his episode 8 performance in my opinion, the hyperviolence with the emotional dialogue was how it created stakes and realism in a superhero series. It was refreshing.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Yea the youtube algorithms....
    caused me to recognize the character Conquest in the unveiling of the purpose of the Viltrumites. I would imagine those other two viltrumites are OP characters.)

But also looking forward to seeing Battle Beast again.

5. steddinotayto

Battle Beast was one of my most favorite characters from the comics...Top 3 easily. He will make his triumphant return for sure.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Should I read the comics? It's a long wait between seasons...

The fact they found Worf to voice Battle Beast makes it all the better.

Cokebabies likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You should really seek it out. There was a golden age of DC animated cartoons airing weekly on Cartoon Network that no one was watching. JLU is still (one of) the best animation the US has ever produced IMO

Justice League cartoons is in canon to every DC animated property that aired from the 90's to the mid 2000's. Everything from Batman the animated series to Static Shock to Batman Beyond to Superman Adventures.

people really have no Idea how good the whole JLU universe was and it hurts my heart.

tierre_brown, Hippieloser and GRENDEL like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

I've watched the OG Batman Animated and watched most of Batman Beyond. I've been seen a stray episode of Superman or Justice league. Harley Quinn is a breath of fresh air.

The last animated series I finished was Jujutsu Kaisen and I thought it would be hard to top.

9. steddinotayto

I would. It’s fantastic...I think it might better than Kirkman’s other work if you know what I mean lol. There’s a lot of depth that goes into most of the characters.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Beezy

Beezy Member

DC Animated stuff is great, but I feel like the quality of the writing dropped off a lot around the time they started the more 'mature' Justice League movies.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Im really talking about the cartoon series' only. But I agree about the movies. The writing dropped off substantially after Dwayne McDuffie died. All Star Superman, Justice League Doom, Crisis on two Earths, All of the Justice League cartoons series and Static Shock, that was McDuffie.

Died in his prime right when DC was taking off on TV. I wonder what the DC universe would have looked like if he was in the Feige role at WB.

#71 DreamShook, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    GRENDEL likes this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Such a dope show.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

I might be in the minority but I could do without live action DC movies if it meant more DC animated movies.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

They race-bended the worst character on the show on purpose. I'm convinced. Should have left this chick white.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I dont think you would say that if DC had more great live action shows outside the Dark Knight trilogy.

DC really can't help themselves. Just make a good movie that doesn't deviate from the source too much.

GRENDEL likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

Well the "problem" with DC is that source material itself. Most of the best stories ever written in the DC universe would venture into an R-rating pretty easily, potentially limiting their demographics/box office draw. Of course one could counter and say "Well Deadpool did well and it had an R-rating!" but Deadpool had everything going for it (an actor committed into faithfully translating the character on-screen, a character that is actually popular, a movie studio that said "sure why not?" and just let it ran its course, etc.). This is where animated features come in--the gore, the more "mature" storytelling, and everything that goes into DC stories/crossovers, etc.

My comment is more of applauding the animated features that have came out from DC/WB because they're so fantastically done.

DreamShook and Xerobull like this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just finished reading the first compendium issues 1-46. Really good stuff but a slow burn on the main Viltrumite storyline. Show is very very close to the source material.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That finale was pretty bonkers. Was not prepared for that subway scene. lol

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I dont believe that to be true, however, even if it was true, Current Marvel has done just fine NOT adapting their best stories. We can agree the Phoenix saga is probably the most Iconic (memorable) story (thanks to the 90s cartoon) and Fantastic 4 the most memorable family, yet they have adapted Ironman, a C list superhero, then Avengers, a D list group.

Marvel has proven you don't need to adapt your best comic book stuff to be successful. DC has plenty of stuff to adapt that goes back even farther than anything Marvel has.

yeah, i understand and i agree. Love the DC animated stuff.