1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are a Texans fan... why?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IBTL, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They rep Houston. That's why. They don't do it well, but I'm stuck with them. I enjoy the NFL, but I remember those years without a real true rooting interest, and it sucked. Granted, the Texans make it really difficult. But I could never root for another team against a team that reps Houston. **** them kids.

burlesk, Uprising, JayGoogle and 3 others like this.
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I hate the Oilers owner and everything, but loved everything else about the team and had the kind of connection that really can only be made when you root for a team as a kid. The move to Tennessee pretty much sealed it that I was just never going to have a huge interest in the NFL for the rest of my life.

By the time the Texans came onto the scene I was already in my 20s and living elsewhere. With the way that team has performed, it's been difficult to manufacture any connection. I still consider them my favorite team, but will only really watch a game if they're making a little noise by winning.

burlesk, BenignDMD and BMoney like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

And the Clay Walker.

MadMax likes this.
  5. H.D.

H.D. Member

The Oilers' "connection" worked for adults as well. One of the reasons it was so visceral was the way they won, with Earl.

Lou Holtz once said, while at Notre Dame: "Teams that play 'pitch and catch' never really 'beat' anyone." The ND-FSU game remains the greatest regular-season CFB game I can recall from my younger years. I hated ND then, and I hate Holtz now (for other reasons). But, he proved it that day.

burlesk likes this.
  6. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

Been a die-hard until they let Cal McNair and the Easterbunny ruin everything. So i’ll root for the Texans to absolutely suck until Cal sells the team /or dies, and Easterbunny is out of Houston. Do not want to watch an NFL team run by a weird mega-church. Bob might have been a old white racist owner but he wouldn’t have let this youth pastor snake his way in..

burlesk and pugsly8422 like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really can't get into bandwagoning.

When your 'bandwagon' team wins it's not satisfying at all for me. So I'll stick with the Texans. When (or if ever) they win a championship it'll be extremely satisfying. Just like it was for the Astros.

burlesk, msn and MadMax like this.
  8. ballgame

ballgame Member

This is PAIN STAKING. Ive suffered through Luv Ya Blue as a kid, losing to Pittsburgh twice in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP, 35-3 to Buffalo as a young adult, now this!!

It's been over 60yrs, it's like this city can never get it right and now with Easterby....will we ever win??

I'm SERIOUSLY considering becoming a Eagles or Raven fan.

Signed

Tired and Frustrated

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I became an Oilers fan during back to back 1-13 seasons, so I can take a lot of suffering as a fan. I became an Astros fan well before they made it above a .500 season.

But the NFL lost me entirely by playing politics with the disrespectful players. For something I used to look forward to, I honestly don't miss it.You cooked this Golden Goose, probably forever.

I haven't watched an NBA game since Barkley played for the Rockets. It's not even really a game anymore. It's a chore.

So the answer to the opening question is not why I'm a fan, but Why I'm NOT A FAN anymore. Because I'm not a FOOTBALL fan anymore at ANY LEVEL. High school, college or pro.
    I'm not a Basketball fan at any level. I'm barely hanging on to being a Baseball Fan at the pro level.

#69 Marshall Bryant, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
  10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

^^This.

Although, over the last couple of years I've noticed my desire to "waste" 3hrs of watching them...becoming less and less. I used to give them 100% focus watching the games etc....now it's on in the background while doing other stuff. Or I start watching is a bit late to fast foward a bit / through all the ads.

burlesk likes this.
  11. blackistan

blackistan Member

Used to be before they traded Dhop that was the final blow for me and then after BOB made that stupid deal for Tunsil I was out

burlesk likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can't just adopt another team. But I just keep the Texans at sort of arm's length. I'm ready to jump in if they ever move to an analytical, competitive approach instead of a good-old-boy, 'it's fun just to be here' approach.

Uprising likes this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The good thing is we drafted a true franchise QB this offseason. No more messing around with project scrambling QBs like Deshaun.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Out of the three QBs drafted around Mills.
    Mills, Mond and Trask.
    Mills has by far the most potential to be a modern day QB, in terms of build, athleticism and arm talent.
    He is worth a 3rd round risk. He very easily could develop into a viable QB in the mold of Watson, Allen or Herbert.
    Also could be another Daniel Jones or Jameis

burlesk likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Andre Johnson is the reason I am a Texans fan.

Made those early years worth watching.

burlesk, DonkeyMagic and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

The logo is horny

17. STR8Thugg

He could also be Dave Ragone.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Dave Ragone and Davis Mills are no where near the same physical makeup.
    If you’re saying he could end up a complete bust of a pick, then yes he could be.
    The upside is worth the gamble for a 3rd.
    A Deshaun level athlete in the 3rd, that still has a ton of potential is a good thing. And if he flames out, it’s only a 3rd. Texans are good at wasting 3rds.

burlesk likes this.
  19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this statement.

20. STR8Thugg

A Deshaun level athlete.....

Right.