1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NFL Draft] 3rd Rd Texans Select Davis Mills QB Stanford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Apr 30, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hear you but don't think throwing pick after pick is the solution either. Obviously there is no sure fire way of going about things but would much rather have Caserio go for the guy they really want, whether it was this year or the next, and use whatever picks to build the rest of the roster. Maybe Mills is that guy but decent chance we won't have a definitive answer come next April. And if we don't, the philosophy says to take another QB at that point correct?

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If we are high on mills we need to surround him and give him every resource needed to help him succeed.

UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Can he play 2 positions? Texans love swing players...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

Davis:

Texans: "Remember that week to week game plan offense that only Tom Brady can run consistently? Well, we're bringing it back. "

zeeshan2 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He better be good at pre snap reads because the one thing I really noticed from watching his film was a reluctance to follow his progressions. He really locks in on his primary read and doesn’t seem to do a very good job of finding his other options, which is a big part of the reason why he tries to force his passes into coverage at times. He’s smart, so he should be able to fix that, but honestly it really should be better already. My guess is he would have been way better with another year of experience under his belt, but if that had happened he wouldn’t have been available in the third round either. If he doesn’t fix it though, I don’t think he will last very long in the NFL. If his primary read is open, he’ll pick you apart, but he’s not quick enough at recognizing his other options yet, and NFL defenses are too good for him not to be.

Omihall23, H.D. and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

One of his pros I read was that he scans the whole field hmmm

CallMeTheDream and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is one of the best scouting evaluations I've seen so far. Granted before the Colorado game he was quarantined for 14 days so it was expected he'd be rusty during that game then the UCLA game is where we see defenses challenge him more with disguises and pick him a few times but he battled back and still made the game winning to pass.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m loving this pick more and more

CallMeTheDream and zeeshan2 like this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

The way I look at this pick is Mills was going to be a high first round pick had he stayed in for next year. Now we can let him sit and learn for this season or at least most of it. Next year the Texas will have a high draft pick which they can trade for more picks. Plus the picks they will have if Watson gets traded.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think that’s best case scenario. That’s if Mills reaches his potential.

Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Watch the film, decide for yourself. He locks on to his first read a lot, which is what you hope to be able to do, but not when it’s not there and you throw it anyway. He has a pretty bad habit of doing that, and he doesn’t like to wait for his other reads to open up because he’s too focused on the primary. That’s what I see, but I’m no professional scout either.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ut-new-Texans-QB-Davis-Mills-Ask-16144419.php

Rudyc281 and Red.Glare like this.
  13. HardenVolumeOne

next years qb draft class is garbage tho. sam howell would have been a 2nd rounder this year, and is projected as the top overall pick in next years draft

ROXRAN, Rudyc281 and Xopher like this.
  14. Xopher

Xopher Member

That's why getting Mills in the 3rd this year was good. Spending a 1st next year on a QB would suck if there isn't one worth it.

ROXRAN and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

JoeBarelyCares and Hank McDowell like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

First time we’ve ever had a franchise qb and we only get to enjoy it for 4 seasons. Franchise is cursed.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

So jacked about this pick! I'm guessing Tyrod get's hurt/benched around week 8-10 and Mills starts the rest of the season. He displays continued improvement and beats Sam Darnold in the finale against Carolina. I think he has the tools, Pep Hamilton must like him and there are no slam dunk QB's in next year draft. Look at what Pep did with Herbert last year - a guy a lot of scouts weren't super jazzed about.

We can trade our top pick next year and grab an impact defender ala Kayvon Thibedaux/Leal/Stingley. There is a beautiful scenario here where Mills is a solid hit, we trade our top pick for a nice haul, trade Deshaun for a decent haul, and are competitive in 2023 with sustainable future success due to quarterback stability and good draft capital.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This 1000%

And it’s stingley or Hamilton from ND for me

zeeshan2 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. SuraGotMadHops

He's got that young Matt Schaub hair loss pattern, so he's got that going for him.

DonnyMost, JoeBarelyCares and B-Bob like this.