1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rochester MN school board declares Black Lives Matter 'government speech'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 1, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even know what this means. What is "government speech"? please, someone explain this to me.

"RPS board declares Black Lives Matter 'government speech'":

https://www.kaaltv.com/rochester-mi...black-lives-matter-government-speech/6088784/

excerpt:

(ABC 6 News) - The Rochester Public Schools board voted unanimously Tuesday evening to make several phrases and images, including "Black Lives Matter," government speech, meaning the school can't be held liable for allowing those views while not allowing opposing views.

"So here with adopting the messages that you're adopting as government speech, you're saying these are the messages that we're communicating as a school district and by doing that we're not also creating a forum to allow other types of speech to enter the forum," John Edison, the RPS board attorney said.

"It is not about telling students what to think and what they can and cannot say, but it does give our district and our staff the authority to speak out about these lives that matter," Jean Marvin, RPS board chair, said.

Rumors circulated online suggesting RPS was asking teachers to remove "Black Lives Matter" messages from classrooms. That's why the board took action - passing the formal resolution.

"I feel incredibly sorry that anyone had to feel that way and that there was any question of our commitment to equity in that respect," Dr. Jessica Garcia, RPS board director, said.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously it means it's an official idea by the government and not allowing an opposing views is held to freedom of speech standards.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/962/government-speech-doctrine

Don't know why BLM has been chosen by the government

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pgab, thanks for this, very helpful. but still sounds very vague, and not well-developed yet. I'll have to do a bit more reading on this. thanks.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

First I've heard of it also. Maybe its meant to protect the integrity of ideas taught by universities. Also schools being an open forum of ideas and therefore allowing controversial opposing views to standard opinions is a recurring issue in academia

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Right now the school district my wife teaches at here in Texas has two MAGA funded new board members who literally are proposing firing all the teachers who are not “culturally aligned” to conservative values and replacing them.

They are pushing QAnon theories on public conference calls, and trying to defund programs like Fine Arts because of the liberal nature of theatre.

I’m not kidding....

Oh and they are part of a GOP pac too that funded their campaign to get elected last year.

But please tell me more about BLM and Minnesota’s school board... riveting stuff.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bad ideas are bad ideas. No need to "whatabout" this.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know very little about the Rochester MN school district but Rochester, MN is a blue spot surrounded by red in SE MN. It's where the Mayo Clinic is located and that has changed the demographics of it.

My reading on this is that it means that teachers and other staff could hang a "Black Lives Matter" banner in their classroom without having to hang a "Blue Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter" one to give equal time to opposing sides.

mdrowe00, pgabriel and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is one of the saddest things I've heard.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would be funny if it wasn’t true and I’m hearing more and more about other school districts in Texas with right wing pac recipients getting in and running the same playbook. Something real strategic is going on with the GOP and the public school system.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think I've recently been through Rochester MN. I started a new job a month ago in the upper midwest. Rarely in one town more than two nights. I'm heading to Lakota IA on the Minnesota border

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm more concerned about the gov speech in Roswell NM :eek: