1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NFL Draft] 3rd Rd Texans Select Davis Mills QB Stanford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Apr 30, 2021.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Its not like the Texans are one pick away from the super bowl or the playoffs. They need quality talent at all positions. Good outcome - The Texans can showcase him over the next 2 years and IF he's starter caliber trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So if they work things out with Deshaun do they just cut Finley? Seems like all the teams that wanted Deshaun have addressed the qb position.

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Drafted the next Aaron Rodgers

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

seems like every year a team with the pick right before the Texans takes a player with the same position, usually by trading up

how do we know they wouldn't have preferred Mond?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The #1 indicator of NFL success for QBs is their number of starts and passes thrown in college.

Mills is on the very low end for both stats, so, that's a thing.

Not saying it won't work, but it has the look of a 3-4 year project and thats not good for a team whose "window" effectively closes at the end of this year.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Finley is JAG. Nothing special.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Teams know needs. Im sure the Vikings understand what is going on with the Texans. Mond would have been logical.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this, I look at him as a high end lottery ticket.
    If it pans out, with his physical attributes and smarts, he could be pretty good. Or he could be cut 4 years

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Right. And it's not a bad idea to start buying lottery tickets given what is about to happen to the Texans. If a guy like Mills becomes a serviceable starter in 3 years, it would be such a huge step in getting the franchise out of the ditch that they drove themselves into over the last few years.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. H.D.

H.D. Member

I wish-casted Mond before the draft.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, I’m not even mad about the pick after sleeping on it.
    This team is so bereft of talent from this last regime that I’m willing to take chances.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

what makes you think the texans dont wanna trade him? You think the Texans can predict about the the allegation scandal that just blew in everyone's face and now make Watson pretty much untradable?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Watson has learned his lesson and stops sexually assaulting women, we may never see this guy play once the league's discipline is over, either way though, you have to have a backup plan when your starting QB is a sexual predator and women start to speak out.

15. Xopher

Xopher Member

Mills would have went near the top of the 1st had he stayed at Stanford one more year. So the Texans potentially gained a 1st rounder in the 3rd round this year. For all the people saying "They should have traded Watson." I'll say this for the people in the back. They could not have traded Watson. The allegations came out before the trade window opened. I don't care if they had made a deal for a teams next 5 entire drafts. It wouldn't have happened. The trade negations would have been scrubbed.

JayGoogle and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. mightybosstone

I get your point that Mills is likely a project given his lack of college experience. I agree he's a gamble. But you lost me at "window." A window for what? If anything, the Texans are a team that can afford the time to take chances on projects because they're as far away from contention as an NFL team could possibly be.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Did they?

Supposedly Watson privately requested a trade weeks before he went public with it.

The assault allegations only went public after the trade demand went public, so that timeline doesn't add up.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Semantics.

I agree the Texans "window" is effectively closed with Watson on ice.

But the truth remains that the Texans went "all in" with the Tunsil trade and we are still in the window of opportunity that created, no matter how bleak the current moment is.

After this year all the bills Jack and Bill ran up come due, and the window goes from closed to basically welded shut.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

That’s every qb on the roster not named Deshaun. Just was wondering how they will handle it if they keep DW4.

20. Xopher

Xopher Member

They could not have traded him at the time he made his demand. The allegations came out before the NFL trade window. The allegations came out 3/16. The trade window did not open until 3/17.