1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting story on KPJ's background

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Apr 30, 2021.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I found a 2-year-old Ringer draft article about KPJ that talks about aspects of his childhood I didn't know about. The biggest one being that his father served time for murder, then was murdered himself when Kevin was just 4 years old (that's why he chose that number for his jersey).

It's a fascinating read and a good window into who he is and how he got there.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/19/18684292/kevin-porter-jr-2019-nba-draft

gotsis, mikol13, Os Trigonum and 13 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well damn.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

These are the kids that deserve all the success because they were never given a chance like many of us. Win or lose, I hope this young man can live a great life.

gotsis, mikol13, jadrien and 20 others like this.
  4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Did you get this from the Mismatch today? Great segment on both Porter Jrs (sorry Otto).

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Absolutely yes

saleem, ipaman and topfive like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you topfive.

I believe Porter jr will be an outstanding player. Only thing derailing that might be he himself.

Going to a G-league stint and everyone saying he listens and wants to gets better, learn, tells me so much of the direction or path he has
    chosen. And that's a good path, for all parties involved.

DonKnock, burlesk, saleem and 5 others like this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Yep, I'm fascinated about the two prime examples from Akron Ohio.

One was born to a single mother with drug issues in poverty. Not only did he maximize his basketball talents to the highest degree, he has some incredible leadership skills that usually you need some figure to teach you. Lebron is known to empower and encourage his teammates, he stays above fights, has made it a strong mission to give back and develop his community, and has been an incredibly savvy businessman. Rather than just having a 'posse' as phil jackson put it, he took his child friends and gave them leadership responsibilities and they've all answered the call. I remember when people in the business looked down on him hiring his friends and now they are an absolute force. Likewise with Mayweather, as controversial of an a**hole he seems, he was smart not to be taken advantage of the management fees and demand more for the money he generates and set a whole new tone. I'm not a big fan, and I get how super teams have ruined the nba, but lebron has been an absolute force on the business side in recognizing how much revenue power he generates and how replaceable the owners are compared to him especially given the NBA's wild success is showcasing and marketing their individual stars and allowing them to express creativity and branding maybe more so than any other sport.

The other one, probably not popular around here, also had a remarkable path. You don't see many rich kids in the nba. It takes a certain type of fight each day when millions are on the line. Steph could've been comfortable his whole life, he could've settled in his rookie year, but at 33 it is pretty cool to see these guys continue to improve and fight it out in there desire to be great. I think Stephen J/barnes talked about how often nba stars kids lack the same fight that poverty may instill in others and its impressive that Steph and Klay still dog it out.

Also love that lebron with all his accolades kept improving post 30, including now he is a deadly threat from anywhere on the court when he grew up a lackluster shooter.

Nba and sports in general has a lot of inspirational stories of the possibilities on grinding, fighting, and succeeding. Sometimes I shake my head when I see the guys screaming next to me at rockets games screaming we pay your salary and telling players to shut up like they are in a circus. They are absolutely blessed and at that level of elite basketball in the entire world, it still takes extreme grind and fight.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

No, I was googling around trying to find info on his problems at USC and just stumbled on it.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the article's been posted on here a couple of times already, but it's the article that made me learn more about the kid. I always like pulling for the underdog and he's definitely one. The whole strip club thing kind of pissed me off, but I'm still pulling for him to keep his head on straight. Whether or not he's just a good player, an All-Star, or a legend remains to be seen.

10. Roc Paint

I would also like to add that my name is Kevin and I am left-handed who also loves the game Basketball and strip clubs

#10 Roc Paint, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    saleem and ipaman like this.
  11. Roc Paint

What’s with you people and strip clubs around here? Give the kid a break A damn break every man should love t*tties and ass

DonKnock, juanming, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good find T5! He certainly honored his dad with that performance last night. We saw a glimpse of how special he can be, but to consistently bring it he's got to put in the work. Excited to see how much he grows and develops next season.

topfive and burlesk like this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I had read about that when we got him.

That is what worries me, he really needs a father figure and a mentor to help him steer clear of things that might side track a great career.

DD

saleem, fattz and ak99999 like this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I know you didn't mean it that way but screw his career. This machine we live in constantly chews up and spits out the innocents and it's up to all of use to be those father figures, the mother figures, the mentors to help touch the ones we can reach. If we all do our part, in our own little worlds, we might just leave this place better than we entered it. I do my part, I try, I challenge you to do what you're able to.

cmlmel77, topfive, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed with your sentiment. I knew his story back when we got him. I assume that his emotional issues have something to do with his rough upbringing. This is where John Lucas is supposed to be coming in. But this kind of thing is not easy to fix. I would not put our hope of a star player on him.

But no matter, I do wish the kid the best, whether he is with the Rockets or not.

ipaman, burlesk and saleem like this.
  16. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Wasn't Tate's mom also murdered when he was young?

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

yes she was. Does that mean Tate is also fked up in the head or are we done projecting in this thread?

topfive likes this.
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

There are all kinds of studies on children without fathers, let alone what his father did, and most of them are concerning patterns of behavior. And Porter has shown several signs of being on the wrong path instead of the right one. So rooting for him, but every clue is that he is wild and out of control. It's a bad recipe. His only saving grace is nobody seems to care nationally, and yet that may be his demise too. He has to see where the path is leading him and change course.

#18 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Clearly worked for him... came back and dropped fitty on that ass!!! He can straight up step into the clubs harden rolled up in. I bet they gonna be hanging out in Htown post season.

burlesk likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

"Please don’t let me get in trouble today. Please let me be good today."
    After arriving, he’d calmly walk into his classroom, find a seat, and think to himself: "I’m not going to get in trouble today. I’m going to be good today."

“A lot of people don’t know that part of my life because I’m always smiling,” Jae’Sean says. “I try to be in a good mood and upbeat, but it took a lot for me to get that way. Because it’s so much hurt. So much trauma at a young age.”

- Tate.