1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Plan for KPjr this offseason and moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know the Rockets have a plan for Kevin, but that will have to be tweaked if he continues to play in anything remotely resembling this manner. The bright lights/media will shine exponentially stronger on our young phenom as they have for those select few who have come before. His growth as a person should be most important, but we have an extremely valuable asset/investment to protect. I mean we should have someone with him this summer....wish he would stay in Houston. While THAT might not be realistic, this could really blow up in a hurry, and I'm more than curious as to how they plan to handle it.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Shoot, shoot, and DRIBBLE DRIBBLE.

DD

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Get stronger, work on his shooting form/shooting consistency.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We are fortunate he is still on his rookie deal and RFA afterwards.

Might be the only guy with a future on this team.

burlesk, IvanLCPM, roslolian and 3 others like this.
  5. DonatelloLimestone

Yep, whats important now in this rebuild is we invest in our infrastructure, not just facilities(tillman said he'd do this in 2017), but player development coaches, infrastructure and just make an environment that these guys can get together in the summer and hit the weights, get in skill workouts.

the 20 year old kid just dropped a harden like 50-10 piece and did that on Jrue holiday!
    Somehow we keep up the tradition of getting lopsided trades for left sgs with star potential. Excited about whats to come with him after this summer knowing the opportunity he has in Houston

groovemachine and topfive like this.
  6. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

KPJ made 9 threes tonight. He is not very consistent from 3 pt line so tonight's performance could simply be a fluke. But if he can manage to work on being consistent from behind the arc, assist numbers, and proactive on defense, then the sky is the limit for him.

chadyang, edwardc, UTSA2step and 4 others like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I really hate it when Worrell says on-air that the Rockets have Lucas working with him on his issues. The kid is 20 and still immature. Sure, we all want what's best for both him and the team, but it's insulting to say we should have someone glued to his side 24/7 or try to dictate where he lives.

The best the team can do is let him know they have his back, that they'll help him if he asks for help.

crose, UTSA2step, Pringles and 3 others like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You do know the brain doesn't fully finish developing until 25 right?

20 is still really young. And he has shown signs of resilience.

#8 fchowd0311, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    edwardc, DaDakota, UTSA2step and 4 others like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He has to mature. Lucas can’t hold his hand forever based off what we’re told. I lurk/read the Cavs real gm and they wished he was still there but they also acknowledge why he was traded away. He got into a lot of stuff off the court. They saw the incident in Miami with Ootter and a lot do then Commented that that’s as nothin compared to The situations he was getting involved in Cleveland Me personally I didn’t have an issue with him being at a club outside of pandemic issues. All nba players go clubbin but I would love to have a focused star like a Kobe KG or Jimmy Butler who breathe basketball 24/7 and are always working on their game, rarely at clubs.

I’m grateful that Lucas is helping KPJ but I dont want to hear about that connection for years through this tenure with Houston.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

Coach Bud bet against a Rocket team being a worst shooting 3pt team, but didn't adjust as the game went on. He had his team playing way too much zone.

3pt this game
    Tate (2/3). 66%
    Olynyk (3/5) 60%
    Wood (6/10) 60%
    KPJ (9/15) 60%
    Brooks (2/4) 50%
    Wilson (3/5) 60%

These aren't normal 3pt %. Especially for this Rockets team. The whole team got hot + Bucks played too much zone. Rockets won this game by scoring 140+ points in a game without OT.

Bud believed his mind more than his eyes. In a seven game series and with law of averages, the decision might be ok, but not tonight.

I'd take this win irregardless.

#10 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 30, 2021
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Hopefully the plan is this offseason Clutch changes the banner on the lead page to KPJ instead of Harden :)

12. VoR

VoR Member

We ruined Tucker’s birthday.

edwardc and UTSA2step like this.
  13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Who? Jk i still love what he did for us but he is done as a player I think.

UTSA2step, saleem and BallSoHarden like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

This may sound counterproductive but for basketball reasons he should hang with Harden. They seem friendly and Harden stays out of trouble. Harden always comes back from the offseason a better player, too. Our boy could use some lbs, too.
    Side note:
    Wishing and praying this is the relationship brings a championship to Houston.

15. DonatelloLimestone

yep, despite what people say. Harden is a gymrat and a ball player core. After all that guaranteed 100 million in his bank, he could spend his lifetime clocking in 25-5-5 and goto strip clubs, he wants more. He wants to be great, loves to hoop, want to win. It takes a team/organization and just like lebron leaving, just like MJ demanding talent as did Kobe. They get that after their individual domination it takes depth, a team, etc.
    Harden has messed around and led the league in scoring multiple times, then assists including this year. Continues to add moves and KPJ has already said they speak and he has given him tips.

A lot to be excited about KPJ. This is the happiest I've been about someone throwing food at someone else. I wish game of Zones was still around to cover this.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Kid clearly has an insane amount of talent, but he also is very obviously on the fence in terms of holding it all together. You can see it on the court with the complaining and not getting back on defense, the body language when his shots aren’t falling, but more importantly you see it off the court with the issues in Cleveland and now with Sterling Brown incident and who knows what else. There are obvious maturity issues, but there may be some mental health things going on there too. I really enjoyed watching him drop 50 on Milwaukee, but there’s nothing about this kid that makes me feel comfortable that he’s ready for dealing with the spotlight on his own.

burlesk, Rashmon, bballjunkie and 2 others like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think his layups can get better with more practice and with a better physique . He should learn how to hit the floater too. A tighter handle against pressure, and learning to pass before he gets doubled team will help a lot. I agree with all the rest of your suggestions.

Magicsaint likes this.
  18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The kid is 20 and dropping 50/10...o_O
    I will be satisfied if he just stays out of trouble!
    Nuff said...

D-rock, chadyang, tycoonchip and 3 others like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He will need a solid support system on and off the court and good coaching. I don't think he is a flash in the pan. I hope and pray he will mature with time. There is no doubt there is no need to put pressure on him to be a star.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just finish this season. Get out of tank mode. Feel like the whole team thinks they can stop playing opossum since
    they solidified that top 4 spot more or less.

Get out of the shadow of tank commander John Wall slash fill-in interim tank commander.

Added side note: both will play better next season. There will be no bad habits formed from this season as many
    believe here on CF's. Bank on it.

Edited: there was no injury to any animals in the making of this season....by the Rockets. Clutch the Bear will be fine.
    Now the Timberwolves may be a different story.

#20 ApacheWarrior, Apr 30, 2021
    D-rock, Shark44, hajkov and 1 other person like this.