1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Delivery Driver Takes Back Food After Getting $8 Tip

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Soon enough you can have your tesla go fetch it for you for free. Take that you ingrateful food delivery drivers.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Seems like petty theft. Should press charges.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yep, the vid was borderline fraudulent on the details. I don't live there or know the standard of living.

8 bucks at a good 20% means a $40 meal for that small bag. Sounds reasonable...I don't tip beyond 20% w/o a coupon, and would be pissed if a driver did that to me.

But if she really fought through 20-30 mins of traffic, she pretty much had an avg operating cost of ~10-12 bucks for that hour. Double that and it's a 24k salary for an 40hr/wk job.

That's wait staff lvl pay for someone who also eats gas and car expenses.

Ofc, if she did have to drive that far...and for one order, it's really the fault of the software and company for delivering that far and not having the scale or tech to bulk deliver.

I don't think you have to, but I generally do because the restaurant industry is mostly underwater. I give them a buck or two for bagging. More if they walk over to curbside.

#43 Invisible Fan, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  4. Buck Turgidson

Only an amateur (or aggie) wouldn't think to plan for their hangover ahead of time.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bet she saw 5.5 miles and thought it was going to be a quick route -- then traffic ruined her day.

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This has become a big problem with tech companies. They like to marginalize their distribution staff. Im starting to dread buying things on Amazon if I dont know exactly what it is. Im returning more and more things. Amazon doesnt care because they are making money on volume. The costly part is distribution to the customer. If they can convince their delivery drivers to deliver more packages in an hour for the same hourly rate, they can negate the delivery cost if the customer does choose to go through the effort of returning a $4.00 item that is largely misrepresented. Then the customer is forced to return it to a local distribution point that amazon pays very little for the return shipping (oh on your way back from delivering a 100 packages in an hour, stop by Kohls and pick up the trash our customers returned). After that, Amazon back charges the package back to the vendor. Consumerism for the victory.

Nook likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Back in my day feeding up the streets of Sugar Land in the Pizza Delivery game, circa 1998.....$1 was common, $2 was the what the players thought should be the norm, $3 was a nice surprise, $5 was a good night, and anything more than that was uncomfortable because I felt like I had to come inside and perform sexual favors.

Also, parents who give their kids $12 to pay for a $10 dollar pie, who hand you the 12 then ask for the change to pocket, yea **** them kids.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why didn't that guy open the door and take his food? He should have confronted her like a real man.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Michael Jordan couldnt have said it better, but you played yourself on that one. Change? What Change...? If anything you shouldve reached for some coins and kept the dollar, dollar bills.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Amazon mostly outsources their returns because it isn't worth processing it back for resale. I think they're fine with the waste provided it justifies growth in their own shipping network.

It's a grotesque beast of Lovecraftian proportions.

He was vegetarian, and he ordered a Croque Monsieur not a sandwich.

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I hope it was worth getting fired from her **** Door Dash job. Now no tips.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

She accepted the route assignment. It’s on her.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Agreed, but also believe that this is how the "gig" economy is able to prey on their workers.

It's silly to expect the average person to do on the fly logistics if a route is worth their time/gas, let alone examine traffic and car maintenance costs.

Nook and Space Ghost like this.
  15. SuraGotMadHops

I gave up on the ubereats, door dash etc. awhile ago. After what happened with Bernie's Burger Bus when they revealed how much the restaurants get fleeced by these companies I order pickup every time. If I do delivery I do it the old school way where the restaurant workers themselves deliver and not a third party platform.

I ordered delivery pizza from Pizza Inn (yes, Pizza Inn, remember them?) by calling the restaurant. Pie came with a magnet and a coupon, I felt like it was 1988 all over again.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That you concluded that my post had unintentional sexual innuendos achieves my goal.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

there is a whole movement among these food delivery drivers. If the tip isn't enough (I think they can sus it out by the price of the food on the app) they won't pick it up. If your food is cold or late it's probably because it has been rejected by a bunch of drivers that knew the tip wasn't large enough.

this girl must be new, lol

Nook likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

This is very true.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The very last time I used a delivery service was to get Popeye's delivered. Not only did I not get the cole slaw I ordered but 3 out of 5 biscuits were gone. Haven't used a food delivery service since other than Pizza Hut.

jiggyfly and OmegaSupreme like this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

I've never use delivery services. I go pick up my own food, or preferably, dine in. The quality of the food is far superior dining in having not sat in a sweaty styrofoam box box for an hour. I tip excessively.

arkoe, superfob, Surfguy and 2 others like this.