1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood thinks he will be a ‘max player’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Will Wood be a ‘max player’?

Poll closed May 28, 2021.
  1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. No but someone is going to pay him

90 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. alethios

alethios Member

Only LTS is deserving of max in Tilman's world.

Sanctity and FrontRunner like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes they do. of course they do. That's why you hear role players talk all the time about staring in their role and doing whatever they can to help the best players on the team to win. A team sucks if you have a bunch of guys thinking they're all max players. Reality is their isn't and the players absolutely understand that

#62 YOLO, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wood is far from a max player still. All we've seen this guy do is just put some numbers on the stat sheet on atrocious teams. That means little to nothing. For casuals though, they think differently with a loser mentality. OTOH, anyone with a positive iq knows If you're not actually winning at some kind of level when it comes to the team, you're truly not as good as you think you are. And its once again pretty significant how hes been about me me me me all year. That's terrible for such an unproven player

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If GS gets Minny's pick at 4-5, I hope we can see if GS would trade it for Wood + one of our late 1sts

PatBev likes this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

The dude was making a pretty strong case before his ankle injury. Once the wheels fell off, he's no longer looking like a cornerstone player to build a franchise around'

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. the rockets still have a losing record with him. his case at this point is still putting up some numbers on a terrible team hes apparently leading or trying to self promote

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

Lol this dude thinks highly of himself

8. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I feel like people are confusing "should the Rockets or any other single team pay him max money" with the issue in the poll and the proposition Wood clearly has in mind: whether there is at least one team out there somewhere who will give him max money, assuming his current trajectory, when his contract is up. If you are answering "no" to that latter question, you aren't paying attention to who is getting max contracts, and how uniquely valuable a *true* (rather than token) floor-spacing five is.

jiggyfly, hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh I got what the poll meant. I certainly am paying attention to them and less and less bigs have actually been getting those max deals. unless you're an AD/embiid/jokic which wood clearly isn't.

This is like all the folks on the board that thought CC was going to get max. just because it was a big's getting max logic. never was going to happen

#69 YOLO, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

This is his "pay me Rick" moment imo. If the Rockets arent ready to entertain ponying up that max contract then they should look to trade him ASAP. Between his ankles and the fact that he is currently outplaying his contract makes him a very valuable asset now. Another ankle injury or being a season closer to that big money raise I would think reduces that value considerable. To that end, what does the board think of Christian Wood's trade value?

11. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

It includes fewer bigs ... because most bigs can't legitimately stretch the floor. The ones who can are experiencing an increase in bargaining leverage. All of the ones you mentioned can shoot the three. I mean we're acting like Hassan Whiteside, Al Horford, and Andre Drummond didn't get max deals. It's just not serious to pretend that those players could get max dollars but a steadily-progressing CW would have no chance.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Isn't this the team that thought Oladipo is max caliber?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Whiteside and horford are not on max deals. Drummond only got it in 2016 but he definitely isn't getting it in his next one. Actually most bigs now are shooting the 3. now more than ever

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Stone: “Yes, Mr Fertitta?”
    Tilman: “Did you see this about Christian?”
    Stone: (glances) “I just saw that, yeah.”
    Tilman: “What kind of first rounder would we get for him?”

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, they got max deals in the not-to-distant past is my point. Not whether they are actually playing under those deals today.

To try this from a different angle, name a big, preferably a 5, with no legitimate expectation of a max deal who would project, assuming normal development, as better than CW at the end of the CW contract.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Most recent max being 4 years ago for Whiteside. I think that's pretty significant time, especially with how the league has transitioned

Bam Adebayo/Ayton

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not going to be surprised at all if they trade him. If we get somebody like Cade or Mobley, they will be about 7 years younger than Wood. Even if he was good enough, he's not on the right timeline for us to throw a max at him.

That said, that is 110% what he should be working toward as a goal and I'm proud of the kid for having the confidence to say it aloud. Now he just needs to make it happen for himself and it is certainly within reach for him if he can stay healthy and continue to improve.

18. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Best Bigs on non rookie deals (in no order):

AD
    Jokic
    Embiid
    KAT
    Sabonis
    Turner
    Collins
    Capela
    Holmes
    KP
    Nurkic
    Vucevic
    Klove
    Siakam
    Bam
    Giannis
    Randle
    Valanciunas
    Ibaka
    Gobert

Might have missed one or two. However if you look at all of this, and then see that Collins about to get maxed out. Yah, Wood will get his. IF not max, it won't be far from that. Bigs who can shoot are now these days paid well or overpaid. We just either gotta trade him or have his salary number in mind going forward.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

seriously doubt anyone is giving injury prone collins a max deal

20. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

Even moreso this offseason with ocean of teams having cap space and not so hot FA